election etiquette

  • wccusdtalk
    Message 1 of 39 , Jul 26, 2004
      I'm putting on the moderator hat for a moment to remind all of us that
      the West County Parents made a decision early on not to take a stand
      on either political candidates or ballot measures. With the school
      board election on the horizon, we need to remind ourselves of this
      policy. This is a great forum for sharing information but we chose not
      to be a cmapaign platform in the interest of respecting the diverse
      opinions of the members of this group.
      Message 39 of 39 , Jun 29, 2005
        Sarah-

        I agree with where I think you're going with your last paragraph.
        What's important for our District is the growth of a rich political
        culture of various intersecting (and non-intersecting) types of
        groups, not just one one-size-fits-all uber-group of all the "good
        guys".

        I would also like point out some further things I like about M4E even
        though I am more conservative than the general tendency of M4E and I
        do sort of see Kevin's point about the "scope" issue for M4E.

        1. M4E has a certain political flavor, but they are very non-sectarian
        and civil. I think anyone without a chip on their shoulder would be
        comfortable at their meetings.

        2. M4E manages to get things done in a way that doesn't require any
        single charismatic leader.

        3. M4E has concrete accomplishments they can point to:
        a. There is of course the march itself.
        b. Then there is the way in which the group has leveraged their brand
        name from the march to continue to pressure various politicos in
        Sacramento for fairer funding among districts.
        c. M4E made a major contribution through its forum and publicity
        efforts to help keep the last Board election focused on issues that
        mattered (like would you fire the Superintendent).
        d. Without any real guidance or much time, M4E put together and
        presented their own concrete alternative plan for schools that would
        be punished by NCLB as potential Year 5 schools.

        Charley Cowens