FW: [wccusdtalk] Re: High School Reform

  • Kathy Rollins
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 8, 2004
      Kathy Rollins
      Supervising Business Agent
      Public Employees Union, Local One
      4197 Lakeside Drive, Suite 170
      Richmond, Ca, 94806
      510 222 5012
      fax 510 222 8858
      krollins@...

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Kathy Rollins [mailto:krollins@...]
      Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2004 2:34 PM
      To: rcs101@...; wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com;
      march4education@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: karen mason; Muriel D. James; Terry Jackson; Kevin Rivard;
      wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com; c_cowens@...
      Subject: RE: [wccusdtalk] Re: High School Reform

      Scottie:

      I agree with you about the wrong priorities being reflected by the action of
      the school board last night. During the months long budget setting process,
      one thing it seems all could agree on was that the cuts should be as far
      from the classrooms and schools as possible. At the last board meeting they
      adopted priorities for any extra funds that were more student centered. For
      the District to add on administrators the first meeting in the new fiscal
      year after cutting over $8 million with a great impact on sites is misguided
      at best. It is disturbing that they do not seem to get that they should not
      be doing what they did at this time. The message to us was that we did not
      see the big picture of need the way they do.

      The District has often taken steps that are contrary to what their
      priorities and values are supposed to be and somehow the Board has a way of
      making excuses and justifying it away. The failure of the District to
      fulfill their commitments to Local One last year is the primary reason that
      our members were unwilling to give up something this year. The District
      wanted the classified employees to fund bringing back the campus safety
      staff. Our members had no trust that their sacrifice would not be like last
      year when the District did not fill the 10 custodial positions we bought
      back, top management folks did not take furlough days and administrators
      received raises or class upgrades after the collective unionized staff gave
      up salary to maintain programs. The District practices such classism, my
      members are not willing to participate in the same way.

      As to Hersh's answer that they would let the campus safety staff know in
      August if they will get to come back, we did not consider that response
      satisfactory. The District knows this because we have had meetings, written
      letters to the board and GJ and spoke at all the board meetings about it.
      They should have never laid off 100% of these people and the fact that they
      did, demonstrates the poor management and classism in this district.

      I do not know the answer for holding the Supt and School Board accountable.
      Clearly many people approve because otherwise they would have other people
      in the positions.

      Kathy Rollins
      krollins@...
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 9, 2004
        --Kathy:

        Some of us are working on getting new board members, keep your eyes and ears open for Karen Pfeifer. I will send you her flyer later.

        -------------- Original message from "Kathy Rollins" : --------------