Re: High School Reform

  • Joshua Genser
    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 8, 2004
      It is surreal to watch people talk about oneself, especially to see people
      with opinions about me who don't even know me! This must be what it's like
      to hold elective office.

      Anyway, in response to various messages:

      1. West Contra Costa Business and Education United, Inc., the so-called
      "biz foundation," was created because local businesses, which already
      devote significant philanthropic funds to education, wanted a vehicle to
      funnel those donations more systematically and to leverage those donations
      with money from other companies and from grants so that it would have a
      greater impact on student achievement. Its creation has nothing to do with
      the High School Reform effort. (It also has nothing to do with power or
      influence. Can't people just do good deeds?) Had this organization been
      in existence at the time the Gates grant and the State grant were issued,
      it would have been the local fiscal agent instead of the Stupski
      Foundation, but it wasn't and it isn't and it probably won't be
      sufficiently well organized and funded in time to have much of anything to
      do with the current effort to develop a plan for high school reform.

      2. The High School Reform planning effort is intended to involve a wide
      spectrum of the community in the planning process. That doesn't mean that
      every group in the community has to be on the Blue Ribbon Community. It
      means that the Blue Ribbon Committee is charged with taking its
      information, its suggestions and, ultimately, its plan into the community
      for input from a broad range of interests. Whether the Committee succeeds
      in doing that is problematic. Timing has been a problem; we got started
      late because we got the grant late, meaning that we're trying to do a lot
      of this during the summer, when a lot of people but educators, especially,
      are hard to get to meetings. There are several community meetings
      scheduled, see www.highschoolreform.org for dates, times and places.

      3. There's no conflict of interest between my roles on the BRC and the
      foundation. Conflicts of interest arise only when one is potentially in a
      position to profit from a decision made by a non-profit or public
      entity. Both of these are volunteer positions that will not lead to any
      profit on my part. (In fact, the time I've been devoting to both lately is
      costing me substantially.)

      4. Charley: I never thought of you as a negative nabob. Why do you think
      of yourself that way?

      Josh
    • Jennifer E. Felix
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 9, 2004
        Mr. Genser:

        Some of us have met you and yes we think you set yourself on a
        pedestal. You must feel you are on a pedestal as you still have not
        answered why business people like yourself have not worked to help
        kids for whom vocational services may be their only chance for job
        with a LIVING WAGE!! I have a child who most likely will not go to
        a four year college, yet I was told there is no money for additional
        vocational services to address the vocational assessment my child
        finally received. So she has an assessment but like a restraining
        order, it is worth no more than the paper it is written on. Have
        any of the business representatives and/or businesses offered to set
        up training programs/positions for these kids? Again I ask, are we
        only concerned with those kids who will go to college or are we
        going to address ALL educational avenues that these kids can explore?

        The parents of the WCCUSD will be much more likely to trust and
        believe in these committees if and when these questions and others
        like them are adequately explored and answered.