RE: [wccusdtalk] Re: High School Reform

    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 8, 2004
      --Hello All:

      I really like the discussions as they relate to the way business can contribute to the district and how the district work with parents, students and communities. I guess I am getting a little tried of the BS that goes on in this district and how the board in particular play these little games with the public. It was may understanding that the Richmond City Council was told to hold off on the resolution vote until after the meeting with GJ. It was great to see that they did not wait for the "Masser" to give them their freedom to vote, but proceeded in their flight for freedom by voting to pass the resolution and telling the "Master" that they supported the emancipation of the Hilltop neighborhood. Now it will be interesting to see what plans they have for the special board meeting this month, what methods will they use to try and bring the hilltop community and city council back to the plantation way of life. Just think about what has been given for the reason to move Gompers, "the charter school needs the space". But remember no one give Barbara Alexander charter any space. Nor has anyone taken into account how many students will drop out with this move or how many will not make it to hilltop for classes.

      As stated before, the major questions have not been addressed about the imprisonment of some of the students at Gompers and other alternative schools. How did the students get there? How are they transition out? How many students dropout? How many return to regular schools, receive support services, drop out of regular school or return to alternative schools? A few questions that should have been addressed before the consolidation was approved. Now they wish to backtrack and do what? Well, I will be willing to bet that the overseerers will have their three votes lined up and some will pretend they are with the community, knowing all the time that the method they are using is "good cop" vs. "bad cop" and at the end of the show they get what they want and the community is confused. Look at the administration appointments last night that was agenda without so much as a word about site supervisors, but wait, Captian Ramsey asked, when will we let the site supervisors know about their jobs, and the great lawyer gave some date in the future. Now the union will go away, and business will continue as usual. It is my believe that there should not have been any appointments downtown until all site employees were rehired, to appoint administrators downtown tells me or anyone else the priorities of the district and it does not appear to be student centered. What I believe is happening is another layer of administrators to buffer GJ and continue the creation of the myth.

      If you all think that the motivation is somewhat suspect now, just wait. But wait, I forgot, Captian Ramsey did come off like a "good cop" on the rebuilding of El Cerrito and the amount of space. By the way, how is the redistricting coming, will there be new lines for EC? "I am just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round".

      Scottie Smith

      -------------- Original message from "Kevin Rivard" : --------------

    • Jennifer E. Felix
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 9, 2004
        Mr. Genser:

        Some of us have met you and yes we think you set yourself on a
        pedestal. You must feel you are on a pedestal as you still have not
        answered why business people like yourself have not worked to help
        kids for whom vocational services may be their only chance for job
        with a LIVING WAGE!! I have a child who most likely will not go to
        a four year college, yet I was told there is no money for additional
        vocational services to address the vocational assessment my child
        finally received. So she has an assessment but like a restraining
        order, it is worth no more than the paper it is written on. Have
        any of the business representatives and/or businesses offered to set
        up training programs/positions for these kids? Again I ask, are we
        only concerned with those kids who will go to college or are we
        going to address ALL educational avenues that these kids can explore?

        The parents of the WCCUSD will be much more likely to trust and
        believe in these committees if and when these questions and others
        like them are adequately explored and answered.