RE: [wccusdtalk] Re: High School Reform

    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 8, 2004
      Charley,

      Given our initial beginnings, yours and mine personally, head butting like
      the mountain goats who refuse to listen to each other and simply step aside
      and let each other pass more from me than you, I would like to say I am
      seeing more likeness in our thinking. I have a lot more to say about all
      this NEW way of community giving but am formulating a slow and more
      thoughtful reaction rather than my usual off the cuff, shoot from the hip,
      pi---- off, reaction.

      I am pleased to see, with your usual style of thoughtful criticism, that you
      are seeing the same types of plotting that I have seen over the years from
      the leadership of this district. Lynn and I have often wondered, why with
      all the changes in the leadership of this district, why the same type of
      arrogance exists against the community and parents of our students in this
      district. I believe your analysis below gives a real understanding of what
      is going on and to me you are starting to sound like Scottie, Marsha and me,
      which means if you keep this type of "rhetoric" up you too will soon be on
      the receiving end of the nastiness that comes from the leadership of this
      district and will be labeled as a "nay-sayer" who never has anything
      positive to say and therefore should be shunned by anyone who really cares
      about the children.

      Charlie, I welcome you to what I believe is the enlightened side, of how
      business is conducted by the power grid in this district. Just look at the
      most recent egregious acts of this district, the Vista Hills Gompers and
      North Campus situation and how this district has thumbed there collective
      noses at the community and the City of Richmond City Council even up to last
      nights School Board Meeting, with a staement from Ramsey that another
      meeting will be held to tell the community how the process works.

      I went on longer than I had intended Charley, but I have been watching this
      tree for the last few days and musing that maybe, just maybe people are
      starting to really get what Scottie, Marsha and I have been saying over the
      past 20 years.

      Kevin

      >From: "c_cowens" <c_cowens@...>
      >To: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [wccusdtalk] Re: High School Reform
      >Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 07:08:48 -0000
      >
      >Marilyn-
      >
      >Yes, what you say is true, but I also think there is room for
      >businesses to do the old-fashoined kind of good-deed giving at an even
      >higher level. The problem is with a possible change in the nature of
      >the giving that the new "Biz" fund is a harbinger of. At the first
      >level, there is pooling and a more government grant-making approach.
      >Pooling might sound good, but it can also crowd out independent
      >projects as the Biz fund informally becomes the only place to give.
      >The grant-making approach means stressing "results" that mean
      >something to gj and the business types in the Biz fund but not
      >necessarily to people in the schools. At the next level, giving
      >becomes a way of buying influence either through the Biz fund becoming
      >a significant source of input for general policy-making because of the
      >money they are bringing in or through explicit quid pro quos in
      >specific grants along the lines of: We'll give you this extra dollar,
      >if you'll spend this $100 of taxpayers' money you already have the way
      >we want.
      >
      >Charley Cowens
      >
      >--- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Marilyn Langlois
      ><langlois-rine@c...> wrote:
      > > Thanks to everyone for your comments on the high school reform issue.
      > >
      > > It's wonderful to know that local businesses are taking an interest in
      > > supporting our schools. I would suggest that the best way for them
      >to do so
      > > is by doing the kinds of things that businesses are best able to do:
      > >
      > > --willingly pay their fair share of taxes to support the public good
      > > (including education)
      > >
      > > --provide decent jobs for all of their employees, including young people
      > > emerging from the public education system
      > >
      > > --provide additional job-specific training to their employees as
      >necessary
      > >
      > > --provide high quality goods and services to the community (including
      > > students, parents, school employees) at reasonable rates.
      > >
      > > Businesspeople are not pedagogues, even if they happen to have
      >school-age
      > > children. They are also not grassroots, unless they belong to truly
      > > grassroots organizations or movements.
      > >
      > > Thus, if you want to involve the grassroots in making sound pedagogical
      > > recommendations about high school reform, any "Blue Ribbon Commission"
      > > should include:
      > >
      > > --representatives of grassroots organizations concerned with education:
      > > these should include long-standing, well-recognized ones such as
      >PTA, NAACP,
      > > League of Women Voters, CCISCO, ACORN, etc. as well as some locally
      >grown
      > > ones such as West County Parents, Pinole CARE, March4Education, etc.
      > >
      > > --first-rate pedagogues who are widely recognized as experts in the
> [...]

      MSN 9 Dial-up Internet Access helps fight spam and pop-ups � now 2 months
      FREE! http://join.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/
    • Jennifer E. Felix
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 9, 2004
        Mr. Genser:

        Some of us have met you and yes we think you set yourself on a
        pedestal. You must feel you are on a pedestal as you still have not
        answered why business people like yourself have not worked to help
        kids for whom vocational services may be their only chance for job
        with a LIVING WAGE!! I have a child who most likely will not go to
        a four year college, yet I was told there is no money for additional
        vocational services to address the vocational assessment my child
        finally received. So she has an assessment but like a restraining
        order, it is worth no more than the paper it is written on. Have
        any of the business representatives and/or businesses offered to set
        up training programs/positions for these kids? Again I ask, are we
        only concerned with those kids who will go to college or are we
        going to address ALL educational avenues that these kids can explore?

        The parents of the WCCUSD will be much more likely to trust and
        believe in these committees if and when these questions and others
        like them are adequately explored and answered.