Re: High School Reform

  • Jennifer E. Felix
    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 8, 2004
      Another way business could help is through vocational programs.
      There are many kids who just may not go to college for one reason or
      another. I know it would not be possible to have a vocational high
      school as other states have. But there are many diverse local
      businesses who could help set up a system of vocational
      positions/training for these students. Every child should have the
      opportunity to make a living doing what he/she loves and vocational
      training can give that to some kids. I know it did for a friend of
      mine. He went to the vocational/technical school in N.J. near us.
      He now owns his own auto body shop. He may not have gone to
      college, but he says he loves what he does and even owns his own
      home. He said he never would have thought that possible when his
      parents sent him there in 9th grade. Now he couldn't have seen
      himself anywhere else.
    • Jennifer E. Felix
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 9, 2004
        Mr. Genser:

        Some of us have met you and yes we think you set yourself on a
        pedestal. You must feel you are on a pedestal as you still have not
        answered why business people like yourself have not worked to help
        kids for whom vocational services may be their only chance for job
        with a LIVING WAGE!! I have a child who most likely will not go to
        a four year college, yet I was told there is no money for additional
        vocational services to address the vocational assessment my child
        finally received. So she has an assessment but like a restraining
        order, it is worth no more than the paper it is written on. Have
        any of the business representatives and/or businesses offered to set
        up training programs/positions for these kids? Again I ask, are we
        only concerned with those kids who will go to college or are we
        going to address ALL educational avenues that these kids can explore?

        The parents of the WCCUSD will be much more likely to trust and
        believe in these committees if and when these questions and others
        like them are adequately explored and answered.