Re: High School Reform

  • Alicia
    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 7, 2004
      Charley:
      I think its a good article simply because it asks - if you are one of
      those who mistrust the district - WHY? I liked the article because
      it kind of asks you to take stock of where you are at with this
      notion that most of West County distrust the school district. At
      least they are getting that question out there.

      Alicia Pohl

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "c_cowens" <c_cowens@y...> wrote:
      > Alicia-
      >
      > What do you think makes this a good article?
      >
      > Charley Cowens
      >
      > --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Alicia" <alicat1967@c...> wrote:
      > > Charley:
      > > Thanks - we needed you. Also thanks for the link to the article -

      > > when I was on the site - I missed it. It is a very good article.
      > >
      > > Yes its GREAT people are paying attention! Especially when there
      > > was great concern due to the summer time & timing of this whole
      thing.

      > > And the first forum is less than 2 weeks away!
      > > Alicia Pohl
      > >
      > > --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "c_cowens" <c_cowens@y...>
      wrote:
      > > > Marsha-
      > > >
      > > > OK. You flushed me out. I missed 2 meetings, but to the best of
      my
      > > > knowledge I'm still on the committee. The Web site seems to me
      to be
      > > > very much a (Tech Futures) work-in-progress. (By the way, I
      don't
      > > see
      > > > how Tech Futures "represents" ECHS.)
      > > >
      > > > Anyway, I'm glad people are paying attention even in July to
      this.
      > > > FYI, I have a copy of the High School Pupil Success Act at:
      > > >
      > > > http://www.baysidepta.org/docs/temp/EdCodeHSPSA.html
      > > >
      > > > Our situation is a little complicated by the involvement of the
      > > Gates
      > > > money funneled through the damned Stupski Foundation.
      > > >
      > > > I'll try to add more through the afternoon, but for now I highly
      > > > recommend a reading of "Community Viewpoint" at:
      > > >
      > > > http://www.highschoolreform.org/community.htm
      > > >
      > > > where Josh Genser gives his take on the nattering nabobs of
      > > negativism
      > > > who plague our district. This is a good preview of a lot of
      opinion
      > > > pieces I suspect we'll start seeing cropping up.
      > > >
      > > > Charley Cowens
      > > >

      > > > --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Marsha Williamson
      > > BRC.
      Whittier.
      > > I was
      > > TechFutures
      > > there's
      > > the
      > > foundation or
      > > involved
      High
      > > School
      > > of the

      > > school
      > > district.
      > > coalition. I
      > > level and
      > > them
      > > that I

      > > Administrator. I
      > > known
      > > appear to
      > > are
      > > TIIG
      > > parents, but
      > > have
      > > assessments. I
      > > but I
      > > hand.

      Business
      > > and
      > > each
      Blue
      > > Ribbon
      > > Genser as
      > > even the
      > > Another
      > > I feel
      > > not mean

      > > anyone else

      > > know I

      > > p/wccusdtalk/>

      Terms of

      Terms of

    • Jennifer E. Felix
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 9, 2004
        Mr. Genser:

        Some of us have met you and yes we think you set yourself on a
        pedestal. You must feel you are on a pedestal as you still have not
        answered why business people like yourself have not worked to help
        kids for whom vocational services may be their only chance for job
        with a LIVING WAGE!! I have a child who most likely will not go to
        a four year college, yet I was told there is no money for additional
        vocational services to address the vocational assessment my child
        finally received. So she has an assessment but like a restraining
        order, it is worth no more than the paper it is written on. Have
        any of the business representatives and/or businesses offered to set
        up training programs/positions for these kids? Again I ask, are we
        only concerned with those kids who will go to college or are we
        going to address ALL educational avenues that these kids can explore?

        The parents of the WCCUSD will be much more likely to trust and
        believe in these committees if and when these questions and others
        like them are adequately explored and answered.