Re: High School Reform

  • Jennifer E. Felix
    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 7, 2004
      Again I am sorry I sound so negative. I am conservatively and
      cautiously optomistic that we can accomplish some reforms. As far
      as Mr. Genser's questions and/or view point. I understand and value
      his opinion and definitely value the time he and others are putting
      into the committees and school district. But I feel I need to
      answer some of his questions from another viewpoint and experience
      that he posed in "Hard work and cynicism".

      Does the District always succeed in delivering a quality education?
      Of course test scores are up because we only count those who do not
      have accomodations. I have personally seen others fall further
      behind while parents are FIGHTING for accomodations and services.

      Does the District always have its priorities straight? Priorities
      have nothing to do with parent, teacher, and/or administrative
      opinions. It has to do with insuring all educational laws and
      directives are followed. It has to do with following through with
      promised open and accessible forums and administrators. Some of
      these priorities have not been met.

      Has the District disrespected some of its constituents? YES. First
      example is the back room deal to combine the alternative schools
      without consulting or including the neighborhood effected. I have
      had administrators lie to my kid's doctor, whole educational cum
      file disappear, a child's personal clarinet lost from the same
      school who "misplaced" my child's cum file, and been falsely accused
      of an illegal action. I would say these items could definitely lead
      to mistrust of District representatives.

      Has the District not done something that it ought to have done?
      Time should have nothing to do with it. If a complaint is filed
      FEDERAL LAW states that the District must address said complaint
      within 60 days with the inclusion of the complaintant. I know of
      one complaint that has been continually ignored and overlooked by
      the superintendant at least since Nov. 2003 and the board since Feb.
      2004. Replacing Assistive Technology written into an IEP should be
      a priority but has not always been done. Or how about something as
      simple as reporting said AT equipment stolen to the proper
      authorities and insurance company to facilitate and expedite said
      replacement? Theft of District property is specifically mentioned
      in the District's own handbook! There is NO REASONABLE EXCUSE for
      not reporting theft of District property. As the fight for Measure
      B proved, this district does not have the money to spare to be
      nickel and dimed to death over issues covered by insurance and the
      law!

      These are just a few examples of where the mistrust may come from.
      I know that some of these issues are just the tip of the iceberg
      that this "Titanic" District may hit if it does not take these
      committees and the communities commitment to be involved at every
      stage seriously. I have heard and read in the paper over the last
      year many articles and editorial submissions exposing and condemning
      some of these actions. Most recently the combining of the
      alternative schools. I just hope and pray that these issues, among
      others, are adequately and appropriately addressed by these
      committees and the District to facilitate a rebuilding of trust
      among the community at large.
    • Jennifer E. Felix
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 9, 2004
        Mr. Genser:

        Some of us have met you and yes we think you set yourself on a
        pedestal. You must feel you are on a pedestal as you still have not
        answered why business people like yourself have not worked to help
        kids for whom vocational services may be their only chance for job
        with a LIVING WAGE!! I have a child who most likely will not go to
        a four year college, yet I was told there is no money for additional
        vocational services to address the vocational assessment my child
        finally received. So she has an assessment but like a restraining
        order, it is worth no more than the paper it is written on. Have
        any of the business representatives and/or businesses offered to set
        up training programs/positions for these kids? Again I ask, are we
        only concerned with those kids who will go to college or are we
        going to address ALL educational avenues that these kids can explore?

        The parents of the WCCUSD will be much more likely to trust and
        believe in these committees if and when these questions and others
        like them are adequately explored and answered.