Re: High School Reform

  • c_cowens
    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 7, 2004
      Marsha-

      OK. You flushed me out. I missed 2 meetings, but to the best of my
      knowledge I'm still on the committee. The Web site seems to me to be
      very much a (Tech Futures) work-in-progress. (By the way, I don't see
      how Tech Futures "represents" ECHS.)

      Anyway, I'm glad people are paying attention even in July to this.
      FYI, I have a copy of the High School Pupil Success Act at:

      http://www.baysidepta.org/docs/temp/EdCodeHSPSA.html

      Our situation is a little complicated by the involvement of the Gates
      money funneled through the damned Stupski Foundation.

      I'll try to add more through the afternoon, but for now I highly
      recommend a reading of "Community Viewpoint" at:

      http://www.highschoolreform.org/community.htm

      where Josh Genser gives his take on the nattering nabobs of negativism
      who plague our district. This is a good preview of a lot of opinion
      pieces I suspect we'll start seeing cropping up.

      Charley Cowens

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Marsha Williamson

    • Jennifer E. Felix
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 9, 2004
        Mr. Genser:

        Some of us have met you and yes we think you set yourself on a
        pedestal. You must feel you are on a pedestal as you still have not
        answered why business people like yourself have not worked to help
        kids for whom vocational services may be their only chance for job
        with a LIVING WAGE!! I have a child who most likely will not go to
        a four year college, yet I was told there is no money for additional
        vocational services to address the vocational assessment my child
        finally received. So she has an assessment but like a restraining
        order, it is worth no more than the paper it is written on. Have
        any of the business representatives and/or businesses offered to set
        up training programs/positions for these kids? Again I ask, are we
        only concerned with those kids who will go to college or are we
        going to address ALL educational avenues that these kids can explore?

        The parents of the WCCUSD will be much more likely to trust and
        believe in these committees if and when these questions and others
        like them are adequately explored and answered.