Re: High School Reform

  • Alicia
    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 7, 2004
      As always - thank you for your feedback. Always appreciated!

      The purpose of the Blue Ribbon Committee was:
      "To engage the community and form an alliance around the
      transformation of High Schools in West Contra Costa County
      Unified School District" - or this is what we were told back
      in February when they started meeting regularly.

      Now that we see an alliance has been formed between the district and
      the business community with the new foundation,
      we look forward to the new foundation looking to bring the community
      in with the alliance that will draft up our 5 year plan for high
      school reform.

      I was on the BRC at the beginning - unable to go to the meetings
      because of lack of childcare for my 3 year old, but I stayed on the
      email list to stay informed of what was going on. I volunteered my
      time and went to DeAnza to try and get some feedback from the
      youth/students/administrators. Hey if I was the token parent, I was
      going to make sure to at least give some feedback.

      I never pushed for any foundation because I knew nothing about it.
      I only pushed (and continue to push) for INFORMATION to the community
      BEFORE DECISIONS ARE MADE, giving FAIR NOTICE for particular events
      where community feedback would be welcome, not setting up community
      forums for failure by lack of notification, & asking that the BRC
      keep in mind that the community is also part of the "alliance".

      Alicia Pohl

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Tammera Campbell
      <tammeracampbell@y...> wrote:
      > Jennifer,
      > It was my understanding that the Blue Ribbon Committee was the
      original group who pushed forward with the idea that WCC Business and
      Education United be formed. We need an independent business
      foundation in this area to propose and receive large grant monies for
      the children in WCCUSD. We are more apt to receive money to benefit
      the kids via a business foundation rather than the district itself.
      Large companies who donate money prefer to pass along money to
      established foundations rather than school districts directly.
      Having a board which consists of educators and businessmen provides a
      safety net and a means of accountability. Let's face it, business
      tends to trust business. Regardless, this foundation needed to be
      > I would expect Mr. Genser to have migrated from the Blue Ribbon
      Committee to the Foundation itself since he was a founding member and
      a graduate from this school district. As for the superintendent, I
      would think it would be to the advantage of the foundation to have
      the superintendent on the list of members when submitting proposals
      to big corporations. Would look funny if the superintendent was not
      on the list. Why would a business donate money to a education
      foundation which did not have on its board the leadership of the
      district. Donors want to make sure that there is a connection
      between the receiving foundation and the district.
      > Having said all the above, we parents need to be a part of this
      group to help foster the trust that needs to come between the
      district and the public. Yes we should question, but at the same
      time open our minds to the potential that can come from this
      foundation. Since the early 1990's, we have come to distrust the
      district. It is time we shift the paradigm and begin to work
      together cautiously because we just might find our concerted effort
      yields support for our kids.
      > Tammy Campbell
      > "Jennifer E. Felix" <jenfelixthecat615@m...> wrote:
      > As I sit here with two printouts I have to wonder why no one else
      > has seemed to mention let alone caught one glaring problem with
      > the Blue Ribbon Committee and the West Contra Costa Business and
      > Education United, Inc.?! These printouts list the members of each
      > committee. I have to question the fact that 3 of the Blue Ribbon
      > Committee members are also on the WCCB&EU board, with Mr. Genser as
      > Chair of BOTH!!!! As an attorney I am sure he is aware of even the
      > appearance of impropriaty and/or conflict of interest. Another
      > issue is of Ms. Johnston nominating herself to a committee. I feel
      > that if you are given 2 positions to nominate to benefit your
      > students it is quite narcisstic to nominate yourself! I do not
      > to offend anyone. This is just my humble opinion. Does anyone
      > find these things unique, suspicious, or disconcerting? I know I
      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
    • Jennifer E. Felix
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 9, 2004
        Mr. Genser:

        Some of us have met you and yes we think you set yourself on a
        pedestal. You must feel you are on a pedestal as you still have not
        answered why business people like yourself have not worked to help
        kids for whom vocational services may be their only chance for job
        with a LIVING WAGE!! I have a child who most likely will not go to
        a four year college, yet I was told there is no money for additional
        vocational services to address the vocational assessment my child
        finally received. So she has an assessment but like a restraining
        order, it is worth no more than the paper it is written on. Have
        any of the business representatives and/or businesses offered to set
        up training programs/positions for these kids? Again I ask, are we
        only concerned with those kids who will go to college or are we
        going to address ALL educational avenues that these kids can explore?

        The parents of the WCCUSD will be much more likely to trust and
        believe in these committees if and when these questions and others
        like them are adequately explored and answered.