Re: [wccusdtalk] Re: High School Reform

  • Jennifer Felix
    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 7, 2004
      Tamera:

      My concern is that the Blue Ribbon Committee is to address high school issues. The foundation is for the benefit of the whole district. According to it's own website, the BRC is a grassroots coalition. I did not see a single parent name I recognized as active in this district. Grassroots implies that it started at the parent level and we know this is not the case. They claim they are made up of "approximately 21 parents, teachers, principals, business and community leaders" that have worked together over the last four months. Yet their own website lists only 8 members and none of them are district parents, teachers, principals or community leaders that I have ever met or heard of. They list:
      Ms. Dowley-Blackman - Project Coordinator
      Mr. Genser - Chair
      Mr. Fahr - WCCUSD Grants office
      Mr. Reeves - Mechanics Bank
      Mr. Whittier - TechFutures
      Ms. Kaufman - U.C. Berkeley
      Ms. DiMaggio - Kaiser Permanente
      Ms. Gregory - SBC

      They all look like business people with one WCCUSD Administrator. I am sorry but I still take issue with the fact that not one well known active parent sits on either of these committees. As far as the WCCBEU, Inc., I understand that Ms. Johnston's presence may appear to lend some credence to the committee as far as local businesses are concerned, but many businesses have questioned her leadership abilities and her payscale. I also question this fund after TIIG funds were taken from the school sites and has appeared to be mismanaged. I know there are forums planned to include parents, but have been involved in IEP processes for a number of years. I have seen administrators disregard parental input. I have even seen administrators disregard outside physcho/educational assessments. I am sorry if I continue to question the motives of the district but I have seen some of them in action, I have experienced them first hand.
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 9, 2004
        Mr. Genser:

        Some of us have met you and yes we think you set yourself on a
        pedestal. You must feel you are on a pedestal as you still have not
        answered why business people like yourself have not worked to help
        kids for whom vocational services may be their only chance for job
        with a LIVING WAGE!! I have a child who most likely will not go to
        a four year college, yet I was told there is no money for additional
        vocational services to address the vocational assessment my child
        finally received. So she has an assessment but like a restraining
        order, it is worth no more than the paper it is written on. Have
        any of the business representatives and/or businesses offered to set
        up training programs/positions for these kids? Again I ask, are we
        only concerned with those kids who will go to college or are we
        going to address ALL educational avenues that these kids can explore?

        The parents of the WCCUSD will be much more likely to trust and
        believe in these committees if and when these questions and others
        like them are adequately explored and answered.