Re: High School Reform

  • Jennifer E. Felix
    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 6, 2004
      As I sit here with two printouts I have to wonder why no one else
      has seemed to mention let alone caught one glaring problem with both
      the Blue Ribbon Committee and the West Contra Costa Business and
      Education United, Inc.?! These printouts list the members of each
      committee. I have to question the fact that 3 of the Blue Ribbon
      Committee members are also on the WCCB&EU board, with Mr. Genser as
      Chair of BOTH!!!! As an attorney I am sure he is aware of even the
      appearance of impropriaty and/or conflict of interest. Another
      issue is of Ms. Johnston nominating herself to a committee. I feel
      that if you are given 2 positions to nominate to benefit your
      students it is quite narcisstic to nominate yourself! I do not mean
      to offend anyone. This is just my humble opinion. Does anyone else
      find these things unique, suspicious, or disconcerting? I know I do!
    • Jennifer E. Felix
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 9, 2004
        Mr. Genser:

        Some of us have met you and yes we think you set yourself on a
        pedestal. You must feel you are on a pedestal as you still have not
        answered why business people like yourself have not worked to help
        kids for whom vocational services may be their only chance for job
        with a LIVING WAGE!! I have a child who most likely will not go to
        a four year college, yet I was told there is no money for additional
        vocational services to address the vocational assessment my child
        finally received. So she has an assessment but like a restraining
        order, it is worth no more than the paper it is written on. Have
        any of the business representatives and/or businesses offered to set
        up training programs/positions for these kids? Again I ask, are we
        only concerned with those kids who will go to college or are we
        going to address ALL educational avenues that these kids can explore?

        The parents of the WCCUSD will be much more likely to trust and
        believe in these committees if and when these questions and others
        like them are adequately explored and answered.