Re: Fwd: Forums for High School Reform

  • Alicia
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2004
      Wow what a fancy website!

      I was waiting to hear when they would finally publicize the
      first forums.

      I want to ask anyone who sees any additional advertising on these to
      please post it. It would be GREAT to finally see the district really
      making an effort to get the word out on something like this
      wouldn't it?

      Oh yeah and check out that fancy website.
      http://www.highschoolreform.org

      The below NEW FOUNDATION is going to part of (or all of, I still am
      not clear) the "school/community partnership" in the 5 year plan for
      high school reform.
      NEW FOUNDATION announced in support of WCCUSD
      West Contra Costa Business and Education United, Inc.
      West Contra Costa Business and Education United, Inc., is a conduit
      for business support of the West Contra Costa Unified School
      District. The new foundation is designed to make better use of
      corporate donations to education, and to leverage business support
      with major foundation grants. Thus, instead of being deluged with
      requests for donations, and making donations on an ad hoc basis,
      local businesses may funnel their educational assistance through the
      foundation, where it will be spent on programs designed for maximum
      impact and to complement the efforts of the School District, itself.

      West Contra Costa Business and Education United, Inc., is governed by
      a nine-person Board of Directors, of which seven are representatives
      of local businesses and two are appointed by the Superintendent of
      the School District. The Chair of the Board is Joshua Genser of the
      Richmond Development Company. The other Directors are Steve Boulton
      from UPS, Sharon Craig-Carter from Chevron Texaco, Gayla Dimaggio of
      Kaiser Permanente, Erwin Reeves of Mechanics Bank, Will Rigney of
      SBC, and Gloria Johnston and Cynthia Leblanc of the School District.

      It sounds really good doesn't it? No mention of high school reform
      though - confusing.

      Somewhere the parents and the youth will be
      included on the team for continuous feedback - this is
      a FIVE year plan (DON'T FORGET - WE ARE TALKING ABOUT HIGH SCHOOL
      REFORM)

      Its hard to see a place for the parents & youth in the new
      foundation, so I look forward to the new foundation seeking
      collaborations or maybey even renewing collaborations
      with community organizations that know how to work successfully
      within the community.

      The district is WELL AWARE of the organizations that are READY,
      WILLING & ABLE to assist in this task. Lets look at some of the
      groups that are already working so hard in the schools - like the
      PTA?? Just a thought.

      This is about "TAKING STOCK AND TAKING ACTION"
      (and I quote public information on the High School Pupil Success Act)
      on the California - Dept of Education website

      "Together with the involvement of the whole school community,
      including parents, teachers and pupils, the district-community
      partnership shall develop a five-year reform and redesign plan for
      the development of effective high schools for all pupils in their
      districts" (Ed Code 52070d)

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Cathy Travlos <cbt@t...> wrote:
      > Here's the latest information about the High School Reform meetings.
      > Cathy
      >
      > >PRESS RELEASE
      > >
      > >NEWS FROM:
      > >BLUE RIBBON COMMITTEE (BRC)
      > >HIGH SCHOOL REFORM INITIATIVE
      > >Contact Information:
      > >Website:www.highschoolreform.org
      > >Phone: 510/234-3512
      > >
      > >Imagine if you will:
      > >
      > > > A coalition of education allies, reflecting the rich diversity
      of West
      > >Contra Costa, coming together to openly discuss all the ways that
      high
      > >schools in the district can be improved for students.
      > >
      > > > This grassroots coalition working together to design a complete
      plan
      > >to transform all the high schools in the district into world-class
      > >centers for learning for all students.
      > >
      > > > The positive energy flowing into the high schools, as they
      become
      > >learning centers of excellence for all students, built upon the
      > >knowledge, history, and wisdom of the broader community.
      > >
      > >The opportunity to do all of this is now before us. Selected to
      develop
      > >a community-driven, five-year plan for creating effective high
      schools,
      > >the West Contra Costa Unified School District, along with its lead
      > >partner, the Stupski Foundation, is one of eleven district teams in
      > >California currently engaged in this work. This effort is jointly
      > >supported by the California Department of Education using High
      School
      > >Pupil Success Act (HSPSA) funds, and the Bill and Melinda Gates
      > >Foundation.
      > >
      > >The Blue Ribbon Committee (BRC) is comprised of approximately 21
      > >parents, teachers, principals, business and community leaders that
      have
      > >worked together over the last four months to educate themselves
      about
      > >the WCCUSD, urban education and models of success. The next step
      is to
      > >engage with the community about the values for this district, ideas
      > >about how to improve schools and suggestions for the recommended
      work
      > >over the next five years.
      > >
      > >Come hear more about the initiative and help the BRC to think
      through
      > >the best possible solutions and suggestions. This project will
      only work
      > >with the strong input of the larger community. Please attend at
      least
      > >one of the forums to be held in the next few weeks. Additional
      > >community meetings will be added frequently. Please visit the
      website at
      > >www.highschoolreform.org or call 510/234-3512.
      > >
      > >Thursday, July 15, 2004 from 6:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. in the Fireside
      Room
      > >at Contra Costa College. Located at 2600 Mission Bell Drive, San
      Pablo,
      > >CA 94806. Childcare, translation services and refreshments will be
      > >provided. Door prizes awarded.
      > >
      > >Sunday, July 18, 2004 from 12 noon - 1:00 p.m. at the Sikh Temple.
      > >Located at 3550 Hillcrest Road, El Sobrante, CA 94806.
      Refreshments will
      > >be served.
      > >
      > >Wednesday, July 21, 2004 from 6:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. Located St.
      Peters
      > >CME Church, 5324 Cypress Avenue, El Cerrito, CA 94530.
      Refreshments will