RE: [wccusdtalk] Fwd: Forums for High School Reform

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2004
      Imagine if you will:

      High schools where kids that don't want to be there are allowed to leave.
      Where kids who want to learn actually have classrooms that are quiet and
      educationally supportive of the teacher and students so education can be
      conducted. Rooms that have books and consumables that support the subject
      being taught. A teacher that wants to be there and does not wet their pants
      or tell the kids how she smoked weed when she was their age.

      Cathy, thank you for the update, but as you can tell from my opening I just
      cannot get enthused about more paid consultants coming onto our campuses
      promising the moon when this district and most districts in California
      refuse to do the most elementary corrections for our high schools that will
      not cost any extra and to give the basic needs for the classroom that would
      improve the educational ambiance for those kids that want to learn.

      I am just a dumb high school graduate, no AA's, BA's, MBA's, PhD's, and I am
      just to tired of hearing for the past 25 years how we parents just cannot
      understand the complexities of educating children and therefore we must
      relinquish our common sense as parents on how to teach our kids and hand
      them over to the experts. I have said this before so it might be redundant
      and I am sorry to bore you again if you have heard me say it before, the
      mother of a seven year old at a Board Meeting at Vista Hills many years ago
      with tears in her eyes said, "I gave you my baby three years ago, he could
      recite every song sung on the radio when I gave him to you, he is smart I
      know that and now you are telling me my baby cannot read. What have you done
      to him. I trusted you to teach him. I may as well have kept him home and let
      him watch Sesame Street for the good you did for him. Tell me what are you
      going to do for my baby now that you have told me he might be a candidate
      for special ed."

      That's right this district screwed up and they want to blame the kid for
      being a special needs kid. Now one might say will Kevin maybe he was a
      special needs kid. Will let me tell you of a personal tale. Christina, our
      fourth child was up at Adams, with her two other sisters. Lynn and I knew
      she was not doing well but was getting B's and C's. When we had a sit down
      with five of her six teachers and asked why she was getting the type of
      grades for work that was probably at a third or fourth grade level, the
      looks of astonishment from the teachers were underwhelming to me. Make a
      long story short, the teachers recommended Christina be tested for, Special
      Ed.

      Lynn and I walked out of the meeting and immediately called Independent
      Study and got all three girls into that program. Christina went from a
      student who could not read at grade level according to her teachers to a
      student who could not get enough books to read. We became a regular customer
      of Barnes and Noble.

      Cathy, we parents know what are kids are capable of and the parents who
      don't simply want a baby sitter for a school had better get their heads out
      of the sand and say, NO MORE FAILURE IS ACCEPTABLE. That is the mantra of
      this district. "FAILURE IS AN OPTION."

      I have one more year to go and then. . .

      Kevin

    • Alicia
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 6, 2004
        Wow what a fancy website!

        I was waiting to hear when they would finally publicize the
        first forums.

        I want to ask anyone who sees any additional advertising on these to
        please post it. It would be GREAT to finally see the district really
        making an effort to get the word out on something like this
        wouldn't it?

        Oh yeah and check out that fancy website.
        http://www.highschoolreform.org

        The below NEW FOUNDATION is going to part of (or all of, I still am
        not clear) the "school/community partnership" in the 5 year plan for
        high school reform.
        NEW FOUNDATION announced in support of WCCUSD
        West Contra Costa Business and Education United, Inc.
        West Contra Costa Business and Education United, Inc., is a conduit
        for business support of the West Contra Costa Unified School
        District. The new foundation is designed to make better use of
        corporate donations to education, and to leverage business support
        with major foundation grants. Thus, instead of being deluged with
        requests for donations, and making donations on an ad hoc basis,
        local businesses may funnel their educational assistance through the
        foundation, where it will be spent on programs designed for maximum
        impact and to complement the efforts of the School District, itself.

        West Contra Costa Business and Education United, Inc., is governed by
        a nine-person Board of Directors, of which seven are representatives
        of local businesses and two are appointed by the Superintendent of
        the School District. The Chair of the Board is Joshua Genser of the
        Richmond Development Company. The other Directors are Steve Boulton
        from UPS, Sharon Craig-Carter from Chevron Texaco, Gayla Dimaggio of
        Kaiser Permanente, Erwin Reeves of Mechanics Bank, Will Rigney of
        SBC, and Gloria Johnston and Cynthia Leblanc of the School District.

        It sounds really good doesn't it? No mention of high school reform
        though - confusing.

        Somewhere the parents and the youth will be
        included on the team for continuous feedback - this is
        a FIVE year plan (DON'T FORGET - WE ARE TALKING ABOUT HIGH SCHOOL
        REFORM)

        Its hard to see a place for the parents & youth in the new
        foundation, so I look forward to the new foundation seeking
        collaborations or maybey even renewing collaborations
        with community organizations that know how to work successfully
        within the community.

        The district is WELL AWARE of the organizations that are READY,
        WILLING & ABLE to assist in this task. Lets look at some of the
        groups that are already working so hard in the schools - like the
        PTA?? Just a thought.

        This is about "TAKING STOCK AND TAKING ACTION"
        (and I quote public information on the High School Pupil Success Act)
        on the California - Dept of Education website

        "Together with the involvement of the whole school community,
        including parents, teachers and pupils, the district-community
        partnership shall develop a five-year reform and redesign plan for
        the development of effective high schools for all pupils in their
        districts" (Ed Code 52070d)