Re: [wccusdtalk] disrespectful and abusive language

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 30, 2004
      --Kevin:

      Just a short note that I feel I must write, short because I have other things that need to be written up. First, let us look at how some students go from Opportunity Schools to Alternative schools like Gompers. If one read the education code regarding Opportunity Schools and what students should enter, and the type of transition plan that should be developed to return them to regular schools, one would know that the district has not yet developed a plan to return any of the students back to regular schools. If they have, I have not been at or heard about a board meeting where the transition plan was discussed or how many students had transition out of Opportunity Schools into regular schools.

      Therefore, to not develop these transition plans for students only continue the patterns that have caused them to be expelled from regular programs. It is true that some students will need a small environment to learn, and some students need Alternative schools, like Delta, Sigma, North Campus, etc. to earn the necessary credits to graduate, because an education plan had not been develop with them and parents to complete the necessary course work for graduation, or the parent/students did not know what was needed until late. (I don't have to remind you of how some of the counselling monies were used). Therefore, when some students reach 11 or 12th grade they find out that they are short credits. Some students can make up the differents through concurrent enrollment at the community college, others must go to an Alternative school, like the ones mention above. Not to many go to Gompers for the above reason now. In the old days, of Diana, Gompers had a better rep.

      I have said this before, the Board should review the edu. code on Opportunity Schools and demand that the guidelines for such schools be implemented. But if they continue to allow students to be expel to these schools without the administrators DEVELOPING A TRANSITION PLAN for dealing with the behavior, the behavior will only become worst. Some questions are: How many students go from Opportunity schools to Alternative schools? How many are returned to regular programs and what is their success rate? What type of support services are given to them in the regular program before they are placed in Opportunity schools and when and if they return to a regular program? How many students attend Alternative schools to make up credits for graduation? What is the drop out and graduation rate for these students? How many of these students have special needs, that were not identified? So, if the intent of Alternative schools were carry out and a PLAN developed to return the students to the regular program, the behavior would not become worst and students would not drop out like the sixty or so, that went to the Barbara Alexander school, that we don't know where they ended up at.

      This is my two cents worth which you and many others have heard.
      Scottie Smith

      -------------- Original message from "Kevin Rivard" : --------------