Re: [wccusdtalk] RE: [WCCUSD Budget Oversight] RE: [Public Comment] Lobbyists for WCCUSD (fwd)

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 21, 2004
      --Kevin:

      Thank you for reminding me of who has the power. Your points are well taken, but as Nina Simone song in "The Backlash Blues", "...make sure you tell them exactly where it's at, so they will have no place to hide". So, I believe it is necessary that we leave all of them with the Blues.

      Scottie Smith

      -------------- Original message from "Kevin Rivard" : --------------
      > You see Scottie, by the response from one of our overseers that we, the
      > lowly beings known as parents, teachers, students, community members and
      > constituents mean nothing to the elite power brokers in elected office
      > unless we have business cards the have the title; CONSULTANT, LOBBYIST,
      > APPOINTEE OF GOVERNOR, APPOINTEE OF STATE SENATOR and or ASSEMBLYMAN or IF
      > YOU HAPPEN TO HAVE A CHECK WRITTEN TO THE ACCOUNT OF SOMEONE'S RE-ELECTION
      > CAMPAIGN. The sooner all of you non elected tax paying volunteers get it
      > that you mean nothing to these people unless you have the RIGHT CONNECTIONS,
      > THE JUICE, THE COIN, SOMEONE'S EAR the sooner they can stop having to buy
      > fly swatters to beat you back and save some of our tax dollars to pay for
      > more perks for themselves.
      >
      > How much clearer can it be said of how little we the tax paying electorate
      > are valued than, from the below message. . . "It was the lobbyists who bent
      > the legislators ears, built the legislative consensus (across party lines)
      > that it should happen and even assisted the legislator�s staffers in writing
      > the language."
      >
      > According to the elected official below the fasters meant nothing to the
      > POWERS IN THE CAPITOL, again from below, . . . "I would further submit that
      > the representatives are not aware how many people started the fast, nor
      > would they know when the fasters arrived at Sacramento. I believe that it
      > was when Dolores Huerta, the co-founder of the United Farmworkers,
      > personally involved herself in their cause that the legislators took
      > notice."
      >
      > You see if you are a nobody, those with the power do not even know you
      > exist. If your name has no connection you have no connection, live with it.
      > You mean nothing to these people. Again, I cannot believe how this community
      > allows itself to be spat upon and then just keeps giving to the same people
      > without question the financial support that allows this disrespect to
      > continue.
      >
      > Kevin Rivard
      >

      > >From: rcs101@...
      > >To: thomasprather@... (thomas prather), ezedmartin@... (Eduardo
      > >Martinez), langlois-rine@... (Marilyn Langlois), MDJames@...
      > >(Muriel D. James), ajhatchett@... (art hatchett), bdabney@...
      > >(Bob Dabney), SarahCreeley@... (sarah), lori.berry@... (lori),
      > >kfrivard@... (kevin)
      > >CC: teolol@...
      <BR>> >Subject: RE: [WCCUSD Budget Oversight] RE: [Public Comment] Lobbyists for
      <BR>> >WCCUSD (fwd)
      <BR>> >Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 22:59:55 +0000
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >--I am forwarding this to you all again, just in case you received the bad
      <BR>> >copy that was returned to me. Remember, "He does not know how much the
      <BR>> >District pay this lobbyist.
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >Scottie Smith
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >From: "George A. Harris III" <gah_iii@...> Save Address
      <BR>> >Reminder
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >To: "'Tammera Campbell'" <tammeracampbell@...>
      <BR>> >Cc: wccusdbudget@...
      <BR>> >Subject: RE: [WCCUSD Budget Oversight] RE: [Public Comment] Lobbyists
      <BR>> >for WCCUSD
      <BR>> >Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 18:19:40 +0000 [View Source]
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >Tammy,
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >I know you are only half joking, but I want to give you my opinion on this.
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >I would submit that the representatives you saw would not be able to
      <BR>> >identify more than two or three people who participated in the March 4
      <BR>> >Education. I would further submit that the representatives are not aware
      <BR>> >how many people started the fast, nor would they know when the fasters
      <BR>> >arrived at Sacramento. I believe that it was when Dolores Huerta, the
      <BR>> >co-founder of the United Farmworkers, personally involved herself in their
      <BR>> >cause that the legislators took notice.
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >That said, I do believe that the fasters contributed to the speed in which
      <BR>> >legislation which refinanced our loan. However, the part of the story that
      <BR>> >remains untold is the story of how legislation the governor agreed to
      <BR>> >signed was created.
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >After the governor rejected the law signed by Gray Davis which PERMITTED
      <BR>> >him to refinance our loan, it was our board and administration who,
      <BR>> >accompanied by representatives of UTR and Local One and Bob Blattner, went
      <BR>> >to Sacramento and spoke to legislators about our refinancing. We argued
      <BR>> >that since the Governor would not DIRECT the refinancing, legislation
      <BR>> >should be drafted that took away the governors discretion on refinancing.
      <BR>> >Subsequently, due to the work of these people and lobbyists, a consensus
      <BR>> >was built within the entire legislature to refinance our loan and to make
      <BR>> >such refinancing MANDATORY upon request of a school district.
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >Our refinancing language was included in at least three bills in the
      <BR>> >legislature, reflecting the consensus that I am referring to. In addition,
      <BR>> >there was an unspoken agreement linking passage of the Vallejo bailout loan
      <BR>> >bill and our refinancing language. I personally spoke to at least three
      <BR>> >prominent legislators prior to the governor�s �deal with the fasters� who
      <BR>> >assured me that the leadership of both houses and everyone in the
      <BR>> >legislature was aware of our legislation because of the consensus that it
      <BR>> >should be done. I was further assured that because of this consensus, it
      <BR>> >would eventually happen.
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >Perhaps the biggest lobbying achievement occurred when Lynn Dauscher, a
      <BR>> >republican, included the refinancing we wanted in AB 2756, which was known
      <BR>> >around Sacramento as the governor�s education bill. Certainly, the
      <BR>> >governor did not want the refinancing language to pollute his bill, but
      <BR>> >republicans on both the assembly education and appropriation subcommittees
      <BR>> >voted for the bill anyway. Before the governor announced that he would
      <BR>> >sign the bill, it had ALREADY passed the Assembly UNANIMOUSLY.
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >What I am trying to show you is that it was the lobbying that had the
      <BR>> >greatest influence on this achievement. It was the lobbyists who bent the
      <BR>> >legislators ears, built the legislative consensus (across party lines) that
      <BR>> >it should happen and even assisted the legislator�s staffers in writing the
      <BR>> >language.
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >I cannot tell you how much we pay School Services of California for
      <BR>> >lobbying, but the refinancing will save us about $4 million in interest
      <BR>> >over the remaining life of the loan even if it is never forgiven. Because
      <BR>> >many school district across the state retain School Services for their
      <BR>> >lobbying efforts and share in the overall expense, I believe that their
      <BR>> >work is a great value to the district. I believe that if you had mentioned
      <BR>> >the name Bob Blattner to the legislators you saw, they would have known who
      <BR>> >you are talking about.
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >George A. Harris III
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >Board Member, West Contra Costa Unified School District
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      <BR>> -
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >From: Tammera Campbell [mailto:tammeracampbell@...]
      <BR>> >Sent: Friday, June 18, 2004 10:40 AM
      <BR>> >To: gah_iii@...
      <BR>> >Cc: wccusdbudget@...
      <BR>> >Subject: Re: [WCCUSD Budget Oversight] RE: [Public Comment] Lobbyists for
      <BR>> >WCCUSD
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >Maybe you should pay March 4 Education to do your lobbying because the
      <BR>> >representatives we saw seem to only know March 4 Education and the fasters.
      <BR>> > What exactly does Bob Blattner do for us and how much do we pay him?
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >Tammy
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >"George A. Harris III" <gah_iii@...> wrote:
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >Marsha,
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >I don't know if Glen has gotten back to you, but our lobbyist in Sacramento
      <BR>> >is a company called School Services of California. The gentleman who
      <BR>> >handles our issues at the firm is named Bob Blattner.
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >George A. Harris III
      <BR>> >Board Member, West Contra Costa Unified School District
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >-----Original Message-----
      <BR>> >From: WCCUSDcomment-bounces@...
      <BR>> >[mailto:WCCUSDcomment-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Marsha
      <BR>> >Williamson
      <BR>> >Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 7:31 PM
      <BR>> >To: Glen Price; School Board; WCCUSDbudget
      <BR>> >Subject: [Public Comment] Lobbyists for WCCUSD
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >Hi Glen,
      <BR>> >Do you recall the name of the lobbying firm our school district is
      <BR>> >contracted with? I was up in Sacto yesterday and was asked the question
      <BR>> >"Who represents your district?" So I was just wondering, in case I make
      <BR>> >another trip up there, I will have that information in hand.
      <BR>> >My issue is K-12 education funding reform, with a goal not simply of
      <BR>> >equal funding, but rather of equitable funding. I'd like to see a
      <BR>> >legislator or group of legislator's really take this on. It seems the
      <BR>> >only way for districts like ours to stay on a course of solvency. But
      <BR>> >of course, it would require additional revenue and everyone up there
      <BR>> >seems really scared under AS's reign of terror. Would Loni Hancock be a
      <BR>> >good person to talk with about this? I'd like to get a coalition of
      <BR>> >parents, school board members and teachers together from our district to
      <BR>> >push forward with this idea. I think it should be brought to the top of
      <BR>> >the list for State PTA legislative priorities. Are you interested in
      <BR>> >joining us? People in Sacto are talking like we have to "wait and see"
      <BR>> >until after Nov. If the Dauscher bill goes through (our refi is amended
      <BR>> >to it), heads are gonna roll when districts can't balance their budgets
      <BR>> >in the future. Maybe that won't be such a terrible thing in terms of
      <BR>> >administrative turnover and giving some districts some leeway with union
      <BR>> >contracts, but the Republican plan for financing school district debt
      <BR>> >will effectively become like a variable rate mortgage with no cap. Can
      <BR>> >we really tolerate Wall Street making money on the backs of our poorest
      <BR>> >children in the state of CA. Can you recommend a plan of action even if
      <BR>> >you choose not to participate?
      <BR>> >Marsha
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >_______________________________________________
      <BR>> >This is a service of the Bayside Council of PTAs to make it easier to send
      <BR>> >emails to the School Board and for the West Contra Costa Unified School
      <BR>> >District by using a single email address.
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >Note: These emails are publicly archived at:
      <BR>> >http://michigan.vervehosting.com/pipermail/wccusdcomment_baysidepta.org/
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      <BR>> -
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >Do you Yahoo!?
      <BR>> >Yahoo! Mail - You care about security. So do we.
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >-------------- Forwarded Message: --------------
      <BR>> >From: "George A. Harris III"
      <BR>> >To: "'Tammera Campbell'"
      <BR>> >Cc: wccusdbudget@...
      <BR>> >Subject: RE: [WCCUSD Budget Oversight] RE: [Public Comment] Lobbyists for
      <BR>> >WCCUSD
      <BR>> >Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 18:19:40 +0000 edState="false"
      <BR>> >LatentStyleCount="156">
      <BR>> > </w:LatentStyles>
      <BR>> ></xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]>
      <BR>> ><style>
      <BR>> >st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }
      <BR>> ></style>
      <BR>> ><![endif]-->
      <BR>> ><style>
      <BR>> ><!--
      <BR>> > /* Font Definitions */
      <BR>> > @font-face
      <BR>> > {font-family:Tahoma;
      <BR>> > panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;
      <BR>> > mso-font-charset:0;
      <BR>> > mso-generic-font-family:swiss;
      <BR>> > mso-font-pitch:variable;
      <BR>> > mso-font-signature:1627421319 -2147483648 8 0 66047 0;}
      <BR>> > /* Style Definitions */
      <BR>> > p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
      <BR>> > {mso-style-parent:"";
      <BR>> > margin:0in;
      <BR>> > margin-bottom:.0001pt;
      <BR>> > mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
      <BR>> > font-size:12.0pt;
      <BR>> > font-family:"Times New Roman";
      <BR>> > mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
      <BR>> >a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
      <BR>> > {color:blue;
      <BR>> > text-decoration:underline;
      <BR>> > text-underline:single;}
      <BR>> >a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
      <BR>> > {color:blue;
      <BR>> > text-decoration:underline;
      <BR>> > text-underline:single;}
      <BR>> >p
      <BR>> > {mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
      <BR>> > margin-right:0in;
      <BR>> > mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
      <BR>> > margin-left:0in;
      <BR>> > mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
      <BR>> > font-size:12.0pt;
      <BR>> > font-family:"Times New Roman";
      <BR>> > mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
      <BR>> >span.EmailStyle18
      <BR>> > {mso-style-type:personal-reply;
      <BR>> > mso-style-noshow:yes;
      <BR>> > mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt;
      <BR>> > mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;
      <BR>> > font-family:Arial;
      <BR>> > mso-ascii-font-family:Arial;
      <BR>> > mso-hansi-font-family:Arial;
      <BR>> > mso-bidi-font-family:Arial;
      <BR>> > color:navy;}
      <BR>> >span.SpellE
      <BR>> > {mso-style-name:"";
      <BR>> > mso-spl-e:yes;}
      <BR>> >span.GramE
      <BR>> > {mso-style-name:"";
      <BR>> > mso-gram-e:yes;}
      <BR>> >@page Section1
      <BR>> > {size:8.5in 11.0in;
      <BR>> > margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;
      <BR>> > mso-header-margin:.5in;
      <BR>> > mso-footer-margin:.5in;
      <BR>> > mso-paper-source:0;}
      <BR>> >div.Section1
      <BR>> > {page:Section1;}
      <BR>> >-->
      <BR>> ></style>
      <BR>> ><!--[if gte mso 10]>
      <BR>> ><style>
      <BR>> > /* Style Definitions */
      <BR>> > table.MsoNormalTable
      <BR>> > {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
      <BR>> > mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
      <BR>> > mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
      <BR>> > mso-style-noshow:yes;
      <BR>> > mso-style-parent:"";
      <BR>> > mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
      <BR>> > mso-para-margin:0in;
      <BR>> > mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
      <BR>> > mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
      <BR>> > font-size:10.0pt;
      <BR>> > font-family:"Times New Roman";
      <BR>> > mso-ansi-language:#0400;
      <BR>> > mso-fareast-language:#0400;
      <BR>> > mso-bidi-language:#0400;}
      <BR>> ></style>
      <BR>> ><![endif]-->
      <BR>> ></head>
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><body lang=EN-US link=blue vlink=blue style='tab-interval:.5in'>
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><div class=Section1>
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span
      <BR>> >style='font-size:
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span
      <BR>> >style='font-size:
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span
      <BR>> >style='font-size:
      <BR>> >10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>I know you are only half joking, but I
      <BR>> >want
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span
      <BR>> >style='font-size:
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span
      <BR>> >style='font-size:
      <BR>> >10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>I would submit that the
      <BR>> >representatives
      <BR>> >you saw would not be able to identify more than two or three people who
      <BR>> >participated in the March 4 Education. <span
      <BR>> >style='mso-spacerun:yes'> </span>I would further submit that the
      <BR>> >representatives are not aware how many people <span
      <BR>> >class=GramE>started</span>
      <BR>> >the fast, nor would they know when the fasters arrived at <st1:City
      <BR>> >w:st="on"><st1:place
      <BR>> > w:st="on">Sacramento</st1:place></st1:City>. <span
      <BR>> >style='mso-spacerun:yes'> </span>I believe that it was when Dolores
      <BR>> >Huerta, the co-founder of the United <span class=SpellE>Farmworkers</span>,
      <BR>> >personally
      <BR>> >involved herself in their cause that the legislators took
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span
      <BR>> >style='font-size:
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span
      <BR>> >style='font-size:
      <BR>> >10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>That said<span class=GramE>,</span> I
      <BR>> >do
      <BR>> >believe that the fasters contributed to the speed in which legislation
      <BR>> >which
      <BR>> >refinanced our loan. <span style='mso-spacerun:yes'> </span>However,
      <BR>> >the
      <BR>> >part of the story that remains untold is the story of how legislation the
      <BR>> >governor agreed to <span class=GramE>signed</span> was
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span
      <BR>> >style='font-size:
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span
      <BR>> >style='font-size:
      <BR>> >10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>After the governor rejected the law
      <BR>> >signed
      <BR>> >by Gray Davis which PERMITTED him to refinance our loan, it was our board
      <BR>> >and
      <BR>> >administration <span class=GramE>who</span>, accompanied by representatives
      <BR>> >of
      <BR>> >UTR and Local One and Bob <span class=SpellE>Blattner</span>, went to
      <BR>> ><st1:City
      <BR>> >w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Sacramento</st1:place></st1:City> and spoke
      <BR>> >to
      <BR>> >legislators about our refinancing. <span
      <BR>> >style='mso-spacerun:yes'> </span>We argued that since the Governor
      <BR>> >would
      <BR>> >not DIRECT the refinancing, legislation should be drafted that took away
      <BR>> >the
      <BR>> >governors discretion on refinancing. <span
      <BR>> >style='mso-spacerun:yes'> </span>Subsequently, due to the work of
      <BR>> >these people
      <BR>> >and lobbyists, a consensus was built within the entire legislature to
      <BR>> >refinance
      <BR>> >our loan and to make such refinancing MANDATORY upon request of a school
      <BR>> >district. <span
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span
      <BR>> >style='font-size:
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span
      <BR>> >style='font-size:
      <BR>> >10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>Our refinancing language was included
      <BR>> >in
      <BR>> >at least three bills in the legislature, reflecting the consensus that I am
      <BR>> >referring to. <span style='mso-spacerun:yes'> </span>In addition,
      <BR>> >there
      <BR>> >was an unspoken agreement linking passage of the <st1:City
      <BR>> >w:st="on"><st1:place
      <BR>> > w:st="on">Vallejo</st1:place></st1:City> bailout loan bill and our
      <BR>> >refinancing
      <BR>> >language. <span style='mso-spacerun:yes'> </span>I personally spoke to
      <BR>> >at
      <BR>> >least three prominent legislators prior to the governor�s �deal
      <BR>> >with the fasters� who assured me that the leadership of both houses and
      <BR>> >everyone
      <BR>> >in the legislature was aware of our legislation because of the consensus
      <BR>> >that
      <BR>> >it should be done. <span style='mso-spacerun:yes'> </span>I was
      <BR>> >further
      <BR>> >assured that because of this consensus, it would eventually
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span
      <BR>> >style='font-size:
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span
      <BR>> >style='font-size:
      <BR>> >10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>Perhaps the biggest lobbying
      <BR>> >achievement occurred
      <BR>> >when Lynn <span class=SpellE>Dauscher</span>, a republican, included the
      <BR>> >refinancing
      <BR>> >we wanted in AB 2756, which was known around <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place
      <BR>> > w:st="on">Sacramento</st1:place></st1:City> as the governor�s education
      <BR>> >bill. <span style='mso-spacerun:yes'> </span>Certainly, the governor
      <BR>> >did
      <BR>> >not want the refinancing language to pollute his bill, but republicans on
      <BR>> >both the
      <BR>> >assembly education and appropriation subcommittees voted for the bill
      <BR>> >anyway. <span
      <BR>> >style='mso-spacerun:yes'> </span>Before the governor announced that he
      <BR>> >would sign the bill, it had ALREADY passed the Assembly UNANIMOUSLY. <span
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span
      <BR>> >style='font-size:
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span
      <BR>> >style='font-size:
      <BR>> >10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>What I am trying to show you is that
      <BR>> >it
      <BR>> >was the lobbying that had the greatest influence on this achievement. <span
      <BR>> >style='mso-spacerun:yes'> </span>It was the lobbyists who bent the
      <BR>> ><span
      <BR>> >class=GramE>legislators</span> ears, built the legislative consensus
      <BR>> >(across
      <BR>> >party lines) that it should happen and even assisted the legislator�s
      <BR>> >staffers in writing the language. <span
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span
      <BR>> >style='font-size:
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span
      <BR>> >style='font-size:
      <BR>> >10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>I cannot tell you how much we pay
      <BR>> >School
      <BR>> >Services of California for lobbying, but the refinancing will save us about
      <BR>> >$4
      <BR>> >million in interest over the remaining life of the loan even if it is never
      <BR>> >forgiven. <span style='mso-spacerun:yes'> </span>Because many school
      <BR>> ><span
      <BR>> >class=GramE>district</span> across the state retain School Services for
      <BR>> >their
      <BR>> >lobbying efforts and share in the overall expense, I believe that their
      <BR>> >work is
      <BR>> >a great value to the district. <span
      <BR>> >style='mso-spacerun:yes'> </span>I
      <BR>> >believe that if you had mentioned the name Bob <span
      <BR>> >class=SpellE>Blattner</span>
      <BR>> >to the legislators you saw, they would have known who you are talking
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span
      <BR>> >style='font-size:
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><div>
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span
      <BR>> >style='font-size:
      <BR>> >10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy;mso-no-proof:yes'>George A. Harris
      <BR>> >III</span></font><font
      <BR>> >color=navy><span
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span
      <BR>> >style='font-size:
      <BR>> >10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy;mso-no-proof:yes'>Board Member, West
      <BR>> >Contra
      <BR>> >Costa Unified <st1:place w:st="on">School
      <BR>> >District</st1:place></span></font><o:p></o:p></p>
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ></div>
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><div>
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><div class=MsoNormal align=center style='text-align:center'><font size=3
      <BR>> >face="Times New Roman"><span style='font-size:12.0pt'>
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><hr size=2 width="100%" align=center tabindex=-1>
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >style='font-size:10.0pt;
      <BR>> >face=Tahoma><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Tahoma'> Tammera
      <BR>> >Campbell
      <BR>> >[mailto:tammeracampbell@...] <br>
      <BR>> >10:40
      <BR>> >AM<br>
      <BR>> >w:st="on">gah_iii@...</st1:PersonName><br>
      <BR>> >wccusdbudget@...<br>
      <BR>> >Oversight] RE: [Public Comment] Lobbyists for
      <BR>> >WCCUSD</span></font><o:p></o:p></p>
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ></div>
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><p class=MsoNormal><font size=3 face="Times New Roman"><span
      <BR>> >style='font-size:
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><div>
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><p class=MsoNormal><font size=3 face="Times New Roman"><span
      <BR>> >style='font-size:
      <BR>> >12.0pt'>Maybe you should pay March 4 Education to do your lobbying because
      <BR>> >the
      <BR>> >representatives we saw seem to only know March 4 Education and the
      <BR>> >fasters.  What exactly does Bob Blattner do for us and how much do we
      <BR>> >pay
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ></div>
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><div>
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><p class=MsoNormal><font size=3 face="Times New Roman"><span
      <BR>> >style='font-size:
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ></div>
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><div>
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><p class=MsoNormal><font size=3 face="Times New Roman"><span
      <BR>> >style='font-size:
      <BR>> >12.0pt'><br>
      <BR>> >Harris
      <BR>> >III" <<st1:PersonName
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ></div>
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><blockquote style='border:none;border-left:solid #1010FF 1.5pt;padding:0in
      <BR>> >0in 0in 4.0pt;
      <BR>> >margin-left:3.75pt;margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'>
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-bottom:12.0pt'><font size=3
      <BR>> >face="Times New Roman"><span style='font-size:12.0pt'>Marsha,<br>
      <BR>> ><br>
      <BR>> >I don't know if Glen has gotten back to you, but our lobbyist in <st1:City
      <BR>> >w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Sacramento</st1:place></st1:City><br>
      <BR>> >is a company called School Services of California. The gentleman who<br>
      <BR>> >handles our issues at the firm is named Bob Blattner.<br>
      <BR>> ><br>
      <BR>> >George A. Harris III<br>
      <BR>> >Board Member, West Contra Costa Unified <st1:place w:st="on">School
      <BR>> >District</st1:place><br>
      <BR>> ><br>
      <BR>> >-----Original Message-----<br>
      <BR>> >From: WCCUSDcomment-bounces@...<br>
      <BR>> >[mailto:WCCUSDcomment-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Marsha
      <BR>> >Williamson<br>
      <BR>> >Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 7:31 PM<br>
      <BR>> >To: Glen Price; School Board; WCCUSDbudget<br>
      <BR>> >Subject: [Public Comment] Lobbyists for WCCUSD<br>
      <BR>> ><br>
      <BR>> >Hi Glen,<br>
      <BR>> >Do you recall the name of the lobbying firm our school district is<br>
      <BR>> >contracted with? I was up in Sacto yesterday and was asked the question<br>
      <BR>> >"Who represents your district?" So I was just wondering, in case
      <BR>> >I
      <BR>> >make<br>
      <BR>> >another trip up there, I will have that information in hand.<br>
      <BR>> >My issue is K-12 education funding reform, with a goal not simply of<br>
      <BR>> >equal funding, but rather of equitable funding. I'd like to see a<br>
      <BR>> >legislator or group of legislator's really take this on. It seems the<br>
      <BR>> >only way for districts like ours to stay on a course of solvency. But<br>
      <BR>> >of course, it would require additional revenue and everyone up there<br>
      <BR>> >seems really scared under AS's reign of terror. Would Loni Hancock be a<br>
      <BR>> >good person to talk with about this? I'd like to get a coalition of<br>
      <BR>> >parents, school board members and teachers together from our district
      <BR>> >to<br>
      <BR>> >push forward with this idea. I think it should be brought to the top of<br>
      <BR>> >the list for State PTA legislative priorities. Are you interested in<br>
      <BR>> >joining us? People in Sacto are talking like we have to "wait and
      <BR>> >see"<br>
      <BR>> >until after Nov. If the Dauscher bill goes through (our refi is amended<br>
      <BR>> >to it), heads are gonna roll when districts can't balance their budgets<br>
      <BR>> >in the future. Maybe that won't be such a terrible thing in terms of<br>
      <BR>> >administrative turnover and giving some districts some leeway with
      <BR>> >union<br>
      <BR>> >contracts, but the Republican plan for financing school district debt<br>
      <BR>> >will effectively become like a variable rate mortgage with no cap. Can<br>
      <BR>> >we really tolerate Wall Street making money on the backs of our poorest<br>
      <BR>> >children in the state of CA. Can you recommend a plan of action even if<br>
      <BR>> >you choose not to participate?<br>
      <BR>> >Marsha<br>
      <BR>> ><br>
      <BR>> ><br>
      <BR>> >_______________________________________________<br>
      <BR>> >This is a service of the Bayside Council of PTAs to make it easier to
      <BR>> >send<br>
      <BR>> >emails to the School Board and for the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceName
      <BR>> > w:st="on">West</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceName
      <BR>> >w:st="on">Contra</st1:PlaceName>
      <BR>> > <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Costa</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceName
      <BR>> >w:st="on">Unified</st1:PlaceName>
      <BR>> > <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">School</st1:PlaceType></st1:place><br>
      <BR>> >District by using a single email address.<br>
      <BR>> ><br>
      <BR>> >Note: These emails are publicly archived at:<br>
      <BR>> >http://michigan.vervehosting.com/pipermail/wccusdcomment_baysidepta.org/<br
      <BR>> >style='mso-special-character:line-break'>
      <BR>> ><![if !supportLineBreakNewLine]><br
      <BR>> >style='mso-special-character:line-break'>
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ></blockquote>
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><div class=MsoNormal align=center style='text-align:center'><font size=3
      <BR>> >face="Times New Roman"><span style='font-size:12.0pt'>
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><hr size=1 width="100%" align=center>
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ><p class=MsoNormal><font size=3 face="Times New Roman"><span
      <BR>> >style='font-size:
      <BR>> >12.0pt'>Do you Yahoo!?<br>
      <BR>> ><a
      <BR>> >href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail/taglines/*http:/promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      <BR>> /static/protection.html">Yahoo!
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ></div>
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ></body>
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ></html>
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> >
      <BR>> ></blockquote>
      <BR>>
      <BR>> _________________________________________________________________
      <BR>> MSN 9 Dial-up Internet Access fights spam and pop-ups � now 3 months FREE!
      <BR>> http://join.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/
      <BR>>
      <BR>>
      <BR>>