Re: [wccusdtalk] Thank you from a Grateful Parent, but the fight isn't over

  • Marsha Williamson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 9, 2004
      To all concerned about the reallocation of donations to various
      post-Meas J funds:
      There was a list of donors and designated receiving schools (in the
      event of Meas B passage) in the board packet for the first June School
      Board Meeting. This may not be a complete list, but it would be a
      starting place to make sure the money from these donations gets
      reallocated to the sites and is under local control of principals, site
      councils and parent/community organizations at these sites. It is
      especially important to make sure this accounting transfer takes place
      before the end of the fiscal year. Money tends to be swallowed up in
      black holes when summers pass.
      Marsha Williamson

      Hallie Friedman wrote:

      > Thank you to everyone who worked so hard to pass both B & D. Not
      > only did they pass, but the voter turnout for this first time mail
      > in ballot was almost the same as the turn out for the last election.
      > I am also very aware how difficult a vote this was for those who
      > feel strongly that the school board and administration have
      > squandered our resources in the past.I especially thank them for
      > putting their aside their anger at the Board to vote Yes and support
      > the children. I hope that the Board and Administration recognize
      > that the passage of this vote is not a vote of confidence in their
      > abilities, but a vote in support of the needs of our children. The
      > Board and Administration have a long way to go to instill confidence
      > and they can do that by proper accountability and administration of
      > the Measure B funds, along with providing a full accounting for the
      > monies that were raised from families, foundations, individuals to
      > support the programs after the defeat of J. I do hope that the Board
      > follows through and the monies designated for individual schools
      > does in fact finds its way there and that the undesignated funds are
      > equitably distributed. I know I will be asking for a full accounting
      > and if I do not get it, I will ask that my contribution be returned
      > so that I may personally give it to the school of my choice. Thank
      > you all again, Hallie Friedman
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      [click here]

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 9, 2004
        Good luck Marsha on plugging the dark holes. The district did not even give
        out Title One projections so site councils could make budgets for next year.
        We will be starting out the year without basic supplies again.

        Site Councils are over until next year. If any money is released over the
        summer it will be up to the Principal and site staff to do something with it
        unless emergency meetings are called and the people on site councils can be
        found to have the meetings.

        The dark holes grow very big and those of us who have been around know money
        will be lost.

        But what the heck there is always November for another parcel tax or
        building bond measure.

        If you all listened carefully at the last board meeting the state subsidy
        for class size reduction (CSR)has started to dry up. After the guaranteed
        2004-05 school year for CSR how much more parcel tax will this community be
        willing to fork over to keep CSR and remember in 2005-06 schools will be
        closing, how much money are you going to fork over to keep them open.

        Remember the last straw, Lifetime Mediacal benefits which are going to raise
        another 2 to 4 million dollars by 2005-06. So look forward to another $8
        million dollar parcel tax this November or again next March or June or maybe
        a surprise September vote.

        The district did not tell you the whole truth on how bankrupt they truly are
        but until they come up with the complete details of what they need to stay
        afloat you can bet this nickel and dime taxing will continue and they're
        tactics of scaring the kids and parents will continue. In the mean time give
        up another latte a day and start putting that savings in the piggy bank for
        the next parcel tax.

        Kevin

      • Sharon J.
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 10, 2004
          I would vote for a parcel tax each and every year because I think the
          school my son attends is excellent (Harding Elementary). I love the
          parents I've met. The teachers are superb, the students are trying
          really hard, and the threat of budget cuts have brought a lot of
          people into the fold that have never been active before.

          Our kindergarten registrations are up, test scores are up, and we have
          more people than ever at our PTA meetings.

          Combining all parcel taxes and bond taxes still costs me a fraction of
          what a private school would so I'm not going to sit around complaining.

          A happy parent.

          http://youroffers.msn.com