Short Notice: High School Reform Open House

  • Charles Cowens
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2004
      I'm on this WCCUSD High School Reform committee. Until this Friday, I
      had thought the LUNCHEON ON HIGH SCHOOL REFORM JUNE 8 was the
      inauguration of the new more business-oriented/more
      Gloria-Johnston-oriented ed fund, but now this seems to have become more
      of a general open house for the High School Reform things. Below are
      descriptive items for how to attend.

      The key thing is that the last I heard the committee is paying for the
      tickets for parents, teachers, and administrators. So if you want to go
      call 234-3512 today, identify your role, and ask about the complimentary
      tickets.

      Charley Cowens
      Bayside Council of PTAs

      LUNCHEON ON HIGH SCHOOL REFORM JUNE 8

      Supported by High School Pupil Success Act funds and the Bill and
      Melinda Gates Foundation, the district is beginning a major high school
      reform effort. The initiative will bring together students, parents,
      community members, educators, and others in an alliance that expects
      every high school student to be academically successful, and provides
      the means necessary to make this happen. Join us in a discussion of
      high school reform noon to 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, June 8 at the Richmond
      Country Club, One Markovich Lane, Richmond, CA 94806. Call 234-3512 to
      RSVP by June 1. For more information see
      http://www.wccusd.k12.ca.us/news/HSluncheon060804.htm

      Parents, staff, community invited to June 8 high school reform luncheon

      You are cordially invited to attend a luncheon sponsored by the Richmond
      Chamber of Commerce. The aim of this event is to encourage a community
      conversation about high school reform and what this process entails.
      Through funds granted by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the
      California Department of Education, West Contra Costa Unified has been
      working along with 10 other California districts on ideas about how to
      improve high schools for all students, increase learning and provide
      students with training for academic and professional futures.

      Everyone in the community is welcome to ask questions, offer suggestions
      and be a part of the building process. Tickets for the luncheon are $25
      and a number of complimentary tickets have been made available through
      the grant for parents of students in the district, teachers and principals.

      Please join us! RSVP to the Richmond Chamber of Commerce at 510/234-3512
      by Tuesday, June 1, and plan to join the community conversation on
      Tuesday, June 8 from noon to 1:30 p.m. at the Richmond Country Club, One
      Markovich Lane, Richmond, CA 94806.

      More about the Transforming Our High Schools Initiative
    • Alicia
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2004
        I also am on the committee - even though I do not attend the
        meetings, I keep informed and on the mailing list. The Luncheon
        I figured was to get the business involved with our schools and I
        think thats great! Maybey with the spread of the word, we can get
        some teachers to attend but since its the middle of the day, highly
        unlikely for alot of them.

        I think with the timing being so off - all this stuff coming up as
        school is getting out -ALOT OF THOUGHT must be put into how to reach
        the students (most importantly) and teachers, principals of high
        schools and parents of high schoolers. Summer vacation days away,
        little notice - how much student feedback are we going to get about
        what works/does not work in their high school? Heck my niece is
        graduating from DeAnza - we are doing a school visit there but with
        very few participants (selected by the principal) I dont even know if
        my niece can fill out a survey! Shes going to - either way.

        Im ready for an all out effort to engage the community because that
        was the primary reason for the creation of this BLUE RIBBON
        COMMITTEE. This committee was created to lead the effort to engage
        the entire West County community in developing a common vision and
        plan for retooling the high school. Thats what I signed on for.

        I will be assisting with a visit to DeAnza to get some surveys filled
        out and feedback from students, teachers and parents. This shouldnt
        be this hard - asking a teenager what is working/not working at their
        high school. With the time scheduled, I am very curious to see how
        many other kids we can get to give us some feedback (other than the
        ones we are scheduled to meet, along with teachers and parents.I
        thought an incentive or a catchy gimmick (Give ya a buck to tell me
        what ya think booth in the cafeteria) during school time would be
        interesting. I think it would shock the kids so much that we are
        actually NEEDING to hear from them about what is working/not working
        for them in their high school - we would have NO PROBLEM getting some
        feedback. And the students would see we need THEIR INPUT and we had
        stopped telling them what they need long enough to hear THEM tell us
        what WE NEED TO DO to improve THEIR high schools

        I am suggesting a mailing of the survey to all our seniors (with a
        self-addressed envelope to mail back) who graduated or didnt and all
        up and coming seniors. It may be more effective to allow people to
        fill out the survey as a representative of their high school -you
        know just write down the name of your school with your suggestions on
        the survey.

        I also gave several suggestions as to conduct a forum that is family
        friendly & open to all community members. As of yet, I dont think
        the BLUE RIBBON COMMITTEE has figured out how the forums that they
        plan to hold in the summer will be handled. But YES they do plan on
        holding some community forum(s) this summer.

        --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Charles Cowens <charley@c...>

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2004
          Alicia,
          For our savy seniors an online survey would be great. Check out the one that Miramonte put out that Kevin and Marsha were pushing in a few emails back. Time for us to be proactive rather than reactive. I want something good to happen in this district instead of always hearing the bad. It's like the news on television. You know if you watch enough bad and depressing news, then you will never be able to change the face of the world. And you know me, I want to change the world for the good.
          Tammy

          wrote:
> [...]
          provide
          > students with training for academic and professional futures.
          >
          > Everyone in the community is welcome to ask questions, offer
          suggestions
          > and be a part of the building process. Tickets for the luncheon are
          $25
          > and a number of complimentary tickets have been made available
          through
          > the grant for parents of students in the district, teachers and
          principals.

          > Please join us! RSVP to the Richmond Chamber of Commerce at 510/234-
          3512
          > by Tuesday, June 1, and plan to join the community conversation on
          > Tuesday, June 8 from noon to 1:30 p.m. at the Richmond Country
          Club, One
          > Markovich Lane, Richmond, CA 94806.
          >
          > More about the Transforming Our High Schools Initiative

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Alicia
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 2, 2004
            Thanks for the suggestion Tammy - that is a GREAT idea.

            I want to get to those seniors -even up and coming seniors
            I KNOW that to even begin to reform our high schools we have to hear
            from the kids & the teachers, Sheesh I want to hear from the ladies
            that run the front office of the high school.

            So whatever it takes I am committed to getting as much feedback as
            possible from the West County Community in regards to high school
            reform. So anyone with any ideas - please post them as Tammy did.
            Pass the information on about this survey and up and coming forums
            this summer

            Alicia Pohl

            --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Tammera Campbell

            Service.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 2, 2004
              Alicia,
              Would you be willing to figure out how to get a survey online such as MiraMonte's at that zoomerang site? How much, what does it take, etc.?
              Tammy

              <tammeracampbell@y...> wrote:
> [...]
              > >
              > > Everyone in the community is welcome to ask questions, offer
              > suggestions
              > > and be a part of the building process. Tickets for the luncheon
              are
              > $25
              > > and a number of complimentary tickets have been made available
              > through
              > > the grant for parents of students in the district, teachers and
              > principals.
              > >
              > > Please join us! RSVP to the Richmond Chamber of Commerce at
              510/234-
              > 3512
              > > by Tuesday, June 1, and plan to join the community conversation
              on
              > > Tuesday, June 8 from noon to 1:30 p.m. at the Richmond Country
              > Club, One
              > > Markovich Lane, Richmond, CA 94806.
              > >
              > > More about the Transforming Our High Schools Initiative

            • Alicia Pohl
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 2, 2004
                Tammy:
                I would be willing to try thats for sure. I did not see the zoomerang site but my kid is a whiz on the puter
                and could help me. The Blue Ribbon Committee is still (as far as I know) preparing to plan for the community
                forums, if we do want to do this its got to be ready to submit for another idea to reach the teens to get their
                feedback.

                Since the rest of the Blue Ribbon Committee meetings should be focused on info gathering from the entire
                community of West County, any and every idea should be considered. Especially from people who KNOW
                what works.

                We would still need to figure out how to get the kids to take this survey - any ideas anyone?
                Thank You
                Alicia Pohl

                <tammeracampbell@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                > >
                > > Everyone in the community is welcome to ask questions, offer
                > suggestions
                > > and be a part of the building process. Tickets for the luncheon
                are
                > $25
                > > and a number of complimentary tickets have been made available
                > through
                > > the grant for parents of students in the district, teachers and
                > principals.
                > >
                > > Please join us! RSVP to the Richmond Chamber of Commerce at
                510/234-
                > 3512
                > > by Tuesday, June 1, and plan to join the community conversation
                on
                > > Tuesday, June 8 from noon to 1:30 p.m. at the Richmond Country
                > Club, One
                > > Markovich Lane, Richmond, CA 94806.
                > >
                > > More about the Transforming Our High Schools Initiative

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Marsha Williamson
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 2, 2004
                  Another way to get feedback from high school students would be to
                  contact the Leadership class and its teacher/sponsor. At ECHS the
                  leadership class is very active and I'm sure they would be interested in
                  helping with anything related to the issue of high school reform. The
                  leadership kids could disseminate and collect surveys on-site. Not all
                  kids will respond on line, even if they have the capability. Many
                  students may not take the time to respond unless offered some sort of
                  incentive. Something useful could be offered, like a really nifty pen
                  might work, instead of the usual junk food or candy items.
                  Marsha

                  Alicia wrote:

> [...]
                  > > >
                  > > > Everyone in the community is welcome to ask questions, offer
                  > > suggestions
                  > > > and be a part of the building process. Tickets for the luncheon
                  > are
                  > > $25
                  > > > and a number of complimentary tickets have been made available
                  > > through
                  > > > the grant for parents of students in the district, teachers and
                  > > principals.
                  > > >
                  > > > Please join us! RSVP to the Richmond Chamber of Commerce at
                  > 510/234-
                  > > 3512
                  > > > by Tuesday, June 1, and plan to join the community conversation
                  > on
                  > > > Tuesday, June 8 from noon to 1:30 p.m. at the Richmond Country
                  > > Club, One
                  > > > Markovich Lane, Richmond, CA 94806.
                  > > >
                  > > > More about the Transforming Our High Schools Initiative

                  [click here]

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 2, 2004
                    Richmond High already had student input. The Blue Ribbon representatives
                    showed up and three of our students were in on the meeting. One from Omega,
                    one from our site council and one from the general membership.

                    A more general survey would be welcome by the committee I am sure but the
                    students did have a voice from our site through the students present.

                    Kevin

> [...]
                    > > > what WE NEED TO DO to improve THEIR high schools
                    > > >
                    > > > I am suggesting a mailing of the survey to all our seniors (with a
                    > > > self-addressed envelope to mail back) who graduated or didnt and
                    > > all
                    > > > up and coming seniors. It may be more effective to allow people to
                    > > > fill out the survey as a representative of their high school -you
                    > > > know just write down the name of your school with your suggestions
                    > > on
                    > > > the survey.
                    > > >
                    > > > I also gave several suggestions as to conduct a forum that is
                    > > family
                    > > > friendly & open to all community members. As of yet, I dont think
                    > > > the BLUE RIBBON COMMITTEE has figured out how the forums that they
                    > > > plan to hold in the summer will be handled. But YES they do plan
                    > > on
                    > > > holding some community forum(s) this summer.

                    Get fast, reliable Internet access with MSN 9 Dial-up � now 3 months FREE!
                  • Alicia
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 2, 2004
                      Marsha:
                      Thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate it.
                      Yes - INCENTIVES were suggested for the students who
                      completed a survey. Donations for one could be a way to
                      get the student to give us some information.

                      I love the idea of involving the leadership class. I think if it
                      were not so close to the end of the year, to me that would have been
                      ideal! Students working to get student input. Empowering the
                      students to take charge of their school and telling the adults what
                      to do for a change.

                      Its really awkward timing for all of this I think. But we are making
                      the best of what we have left.

                      I emailed the ideas of the online survey, district wide mailing of
                      the survey to all seniors. The students will have a few at these
                      site visits to represent the students - we must be happy about that.

                      Alicia Pohl

                      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Marsha Williamson