Re: [wccusdtalk] voter registration and graduation

    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2004
      Kevin,
      I just came back from vacation and have read your reply. Distribution of voter registration is a great idea and one that should be followed through upon in a creative manner instead of finding all the reasons we can't do it. We need to find ways we can do it if at all possible. This could be a project that the PTSAs take on. This could be a project that US government teachers wish to take on given their curriculum. This could be implemented at high school registration walk through for seniors. This could be implemented as part of leadership, etc. I'd rather concentrate on ways we can solve a problem.

      In the little league as we confront an issue or a problem, we place it in what we call the bucket. During our annual workshop we take these bucket items, discuss them, and try to find solutions to the problems. I'm wondering if we could have a wccusdtalks bucket where we state issues and request solutions from parents and as part of that solution motivate them to participate.

      The next few years are going to be crucial to get more people involved. A major component of public education is parent involvement. Our job is to motivate those people to do that job. My friends always kid me that they know they've cajoled been by me when they find themselves on a picket line, volunteering their time, and helping in our community organizations. We have so much to share, we can motivate people to be a part of something greater than themselves, their children.
      Tammy

      Kevin Rivard <kfrivard@...> wrote:
      Why is it that every time a "GOOD IDEA" comes around we expect the schools
      to pick up the ball and deliver for our children. I was at a meeting today
      and one thing a teacher said as to why teachers are overwhelmed is because
      of all the things they are expected to do for OUR children. Now you want to
      have the schools pass out the information for voter registration. Will you
      organize the packets, get them from the county, count them for the schools,
      deliver them to the appropriate person to get them into graduates packets.
      This takes time and costs money. Do we need another consultant to figure out
      how to do this. Do we need another bond to pay for the person who must
      organize this. When I chair a meeting, such as my SSC meetings and someone
      comes up with a great idea I look at the person and say, "That is a great
      suggestion, would you please form a sub-committee and chair that committee
      and make sure that project gets done." Most of the time the person responds
      they do not have the time to do it. For every new requirement we give to the
      schools someone must sheppard that project to completion, which takes time
      from their primary focus. As a person who volunteers a lot of time to the
      schools I say, unless you are willing to take on a suggested new project for
      the schools that is not part of their primary obligation do not suggest it
      because more than likely they do not have the personnel for the job, unless
      the community wants to pass more bonds to pay for it.

      Why not have a baby depository slot at the schools rather than the the fire
      houses for girls to drop off their babies. We have so overwhelmed the
      education system on what we expect them to do for our children that there is
      no possible way they can give a good education which is what their primary
      responsibility should be.

      The state is now attempting to make pre-school mandatory by 2010. Now the
      suggestion to register the kids to vote. I am attempting to figure out just
      what is it parents expect parents to do in raising their own kids any more.
      I have been in meetings where people have suggested that schools need to
      teach students manners. Yes, we have people that want to have manners
      classes because kids are not learning that at home either.

      People please look at the responsibilities we as a society are continually
      piling onto the schools and then ask yourselves as a parent what do you see
      as your role in raising your own child. Until we take back our
      responsibilities as parents we cannot expect schools to be able to do their
      job of academically educating our children.

      Kevin Rivard

      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 2, 2004
        Ann,
        Would you be willing or a representative from your organization to come to our high school registration (Pinole Valley High) in August and man a table right next to the PTSA and Booster Club to push seniors about registering to vote. Seniors attend the first day which is August 16, 2004. If not, then maybe we can find a willing volunteer out there to push this effort forward. Anyone willing to help?
        Tammy

        AManheimer@... wrote:
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 3, 2004
          Thank you for all the thoughtful comments on this issue.

          I reached the person at ECHS this morning (Thursday) who knew about the box
          of voter registration materials that had been sent by the state in April. It
          hadn't been opened yet. She opened it in the course of our conversation and
          discovered that the forms were sized and folded perfectly for stuffing in diploma
          envelopes. So I will be spending my day tomorrow doing just that.

          Judy and Francine, while I appreciate that some history teachers are
          attentive to this issue, not all are. I know that many committed students have been
          involved in the Measure B and other campaigns. And while some families assist
          their teenagers with voter registration, many do not. Since it's in the interest
          of democracy and educating citizens of democracy to get more voters,
          including traditional non-voters, to the polls, it seems the simpler we can make it
          for more young voters to register, the more voters will develop the habit.

          The California legislature made it a goal to provide every high school and
          college student with voter forms with their diplomas and orientation materials.
          This seems like a good goal -- and one that doesn't need a whole lot of
          funding, so I'd hardly call it a burdensome mandate.

          I hope parents at schools other than ECHS will check with the office to see
          if there's any possibility of slipping the voter materials into the diploma
          envelopes so graduates can have them upon graduation.

          Ann

        • Marsha Williamson
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 3, 2004
            Joann Steck-Bayat and myself will also be at ECHS tomorrow morning at
            7:30 AM to assist Ann with this worthwhile task. Many hands make light
            work. Other community members who are committed to helping 18 year olds
            get registered to vote are welcome to join us. Many hands make light
            work.
            Marsha Williamson

            AManheimer@... wrote:

            > Thank you for all the thoughtful comments on this issue.
            >
            > I reached the person at ECHS this morning (Thursday) who knew about
            > the box
            > of voter registration materials that had been sent by the state in
            > April. It
            > hadn't been opened yet. She opened it in the course of our
            > conversation and
            > discovered that the forms were sized and folded perfectly for stuffing
            > in diploma
            > envelopes. So I will be spending my day tomorrow doing just that.
            >
            > Judy and Francine, while I appreciate that some history teachers are
            > attentive to this issue, not all are. I know that many committed
            > students have been
            > involved in the Measure B and other campaigns. And while some families
            > assist
            > their teenagers with voter registration, many do not. Since it's in
            > the interest
            > of democracy and educating citizens of democracy to get more voters,
            > including traditional non-voters, to the polls, it seems the simpler
            > we can make it
            > for more young voters to register, the more voters will develop the
            > habit.
            >
            > The California legislature made it a goal to provide every high school
            > and
            > college student with voter forms with their diplomas and orientation
            > materials.
            > This seems like a good goal -- and one that doesn't need a whole lot
            > of
            > funding, so I'd hardly call it a burdensome mandate.
            >
            > I hope parents at schools other than ECHS will check with the office
            > to see
            > if there's any possibility of slipping the voter materials into the
            > diploma
            > envelopes so graduates can have them upon graduation.
            >
            > Ann

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            [click here]

          • AManheimer@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 3, 2004
              I'm really happy to have help stuffing envelopes at ECHS, but the office
              manager specifically asked to keep the number of people involved small. She's very
              concerned about keeping the envelopes and diplomas organized.

              Still, help would make the task go faster! If anyone would like to, please
              e-mail me tonight (Thursday), call me, or stop on by the school and see how
              we're doing. Most likely there will be times when we'll need more hands throughout
              the day. I have no idea how long it takes to stuff 350 envelopes!

              Thank you,
              Ann