Re: Sound Familiar?

  • Jennifer E. Felix
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 4, 2004
      I have to agree with Jeff and Kevin. The language was far to vague
      and even with all the bonds and measures passing WCCUSD was still
      going to be 3.2 million short. I believe that is the projected cost
      for either CSR or counselors! So either of those could still have
      been cut. Or even middle school sixth period. Only when fiscal
      responsibility and cuts start from the top will I consider a bond or
      parcel tax.
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 5, 2004
        Jennifer,
        CSR is not a negotiable item this year so therefore cannot be cut as a savings. As for losing a period in middle school, we cannot sacrifice all those middle school kids to support elementary and high school. You will lose more children at the middle school level if this happens, thus lowering your overall ADA for the district. And these are the toughest years school years.

        When you talk about fiscal responsibility you just don't look at one program you look at the district as a whole. So before we go deciding what program can be sacrificed maybe we need to look at ways to cut that save all the programs including PE, science and music. And then you need to take the next step and wonder whether we should be adopting new programs which require new books which require training which require teachers to be out of the classroom and so on and so on. We need to take the time to look at how everything is interconnected and what happens if you lose one thing here what effect does it have on something else. Case in point, let's say we save music in elementary school, but cut a period in middle school. Guess what this lost period is band for our kids. Then how do you think that will affect the high school music program? And I will say it here and now, we need to look at benefits in the long run because it will bankrupt this district in a few years. Sorry
        unions but when you look at the whole everyting is on the table.
        Tammy Campbell

        "Jennifer E. Felix" <jenfelixthecat615@...> wrote:
        I have to agree with Jeff and Kevin. The language was far to vague
        and even with all the bonds and measures passing WCCUSD was still
        going to be 3.2 million short. I believe that is the projected cost
        for either CSR or counselors! So either of those could still have
        been cut. Or even middle school sixth period. Only when fiscal
        responsibility and cuts start from the top will I consider a bond or
        parcel tax.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        Click Here

      • Jennifer E. Felix
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 5, 2004
          Tammi:

          I think you misunderstood my last post. The general message was
          that even if J passed, the district's own numbers still showed a 3.2
          million dollar shortfall per year. According to a copy of the mid-
          year reductions I picked up at a board meeting counselors are 2.8
          mil. Loss of middle school 6th period is 2.2 million saved.
          Increase high school English classed from 32-35 is 2.04 million.
          Cutting 50% of site supervision is 874,000. So as you can see many
          of the things parents were concerned with cutting or changing, could
          still have been cut/changed whether Measure J passed or not. The
          districts own report showed four scenarios with and without the
          bonds and Measure J. And as far as Mr. Harris' contention that
          Oakland's measure was not more specific, I read it as he suggested.
          I see more specifics than Measure J, like maintaining electives for
          college entry and after school academic programs. There is also a
          big difference between being qualified (some CEO's etc
          are "qualified") and CREDENTIALED!!! I prefer the Oakland measures
          use of both words to guarantee credentialed teachers are hired.
          They also specifically listed extra programs they wanted to save,
          such as libraries, music, and arts. Perhaps if our board had been
          more specific in listing exactly what they were going to spend the
          parcel tax money on before the vote and audits I may have considered
          voting yes. Although I have other issues with the administration of
          this district as well as the board so I may, admittedly, be a little
          biased. I have found that many parents who have special children
          (whether learning disabled or GATE) in this district have issues
          with non-responsive administrators and board members. Our
          illustrious superintendant hasn't offered to take a pay cut. But
          due to my experiences with her I am not surprised. She couldn't
          even forward to the board a formal complaint of clear violations of
          the American Disablities Act by one of her principals with a U.S.
          Supreme Court of Appeals precedent attached. As well as not
          investigating, addressing, or even delegating out the issues
          addressed in said complaint. Now more than 30 days after I
          personally presented it to the board, I have not heard from anyone
          since about one week after I gave it to them. Ms. LeBlanc spoke to
          me that night and promised to get back to me immediately following
          the week off. Ms. Player called me at home 5 days after she
          received it and promised to investigate and get back to me within
          one week after we returned from vacation. Another broken promise.
          Why am I not surprised??? Of all the issues in said complaint the
          one they could have addressed within that week was my daughter's
          missing clarinet. We at least should have been offered a substitute
          to use until more information could be gathered. Again NOTHING. So
          she continues to play a larger instrument that has been a little
          more difficult to master.
          As for those who say we should go after those who voted NO Bring It
          On!!!!!!!!! First, though, you will need to walk a mile in my
          shoes. Be prepared my shoes are very tight! I have walked through
          the muck and mud of this district for ten years with a disabled
          child. I have listened to parents holler about their "normal" kids
          forced into portables and suggest the "special ed." kids who
          are "bussed" in should be put there. I listened to a principal say
          that if my disabled child didn't call attention to herself she may
          not have gotten beaten in a fetal position in a mud puddle by 3
          girls on the playground whiled 15-20 cheered it on.(none of the
          aggressors was suspended even though they admitted it was over a
          pencil and that they started it) I have listened to others say if
          they did not hear a child make a death threat there was nothing they
          could do. I have heard a RSP case manager/teacher decide that
          rather than brainstorm ways to get her charge's homework
          returned, "We'll just count the stuff she turns in or just not give
          him/her homework". I have had principals and asst. principals tell
          teachers they were not allowed to fill out medical assessment
          forms. Others took them away from teachers, tell the Dr. there was
          no time to fill them out, claim the child had no social issues and
          they were more concerned with my suing for accomodations, and then
          whiting out said assessment form. (She even whited out both sides of
          the paper in order to completely cover the positive rating about the
          parents participation and attitude given to the parents by the
          teacher) I now have said assessment form in a VERY SAFE LOCKED
          PLACE. Yes, they were obviously not thinking straight when they
          allowed me to get that kind of evidence returned to me. This is
          just the tip of the IceBerg that this district has created with
          their cold and callous attitude toward parents. As long as issues
          such as these keep coming up (and I know I am not the only parent) I
          will not give this board and administration a single dime more,
          ever!!!

          Jennifer E. Felix
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 5, 2004
            Jennifer,
            I am sorry that you have had such a tough time with the school district and your child. Board members take note because I see a lawsuit looming that you can't afford.

            I did misunderstand your point, but my point is that we all need to look at the bigger picture before we make decisions. We also owe it to ourselves to understand the state of educational financing in California. Then in turn, we need to look at the job our district is doing. Believe me as a person who has been doing this for 20 years now, I have experienced every up and down and almost lost my marriage over it. I started when I lived in Richmond and am still going strong in Pinole. Believe there is no difference between what goes on in Richmond or in Pinole. Our job as parents now is to look for solutions and if we have to set policy. And the first policy I would like to set is THE KIDS COME FIRST. We can save every program if we can work together. I truly believe.
            Tammy

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 6, 2004
              --Tammy:

              I would like to go say more, but because Jennifer was referred to me from an outside agency a few months ago to advocate for her and children, I will only say this: Jennifer does believe that KIDS SHOULD COME FIRST, but when you have fought so long for the rights of your children and have watched a system that should believe that KIDS COME FIRST, deny your children safety, a decent education, and contribute to the emotional destruction of your children and your self because you try to resolve the issues, that makes for a different picture.

              She and her children has gone through a great deal and we only recently resolved some issues for her daughter and is now dealing with her son with hopes that this will be resolved at our next meeting. But the facts remain that there are things that I can not help with, that are beyond my scope and only she will be able to deal with them. But the District should work to correct things that places parents in a bitter position, if they really are about Kids.

              Therefore, I believe that most parents believe that KIDS COME FIRST, but what they are dealing with is the fact that the leadership does not or have not come to the believe that KIDS COME FIRST. So, without breaking my rule of confidentiality and preaching to the choir, it is my wish THAT THE LEADERSHIP BUY INTO WHAT WE (PARENTS) BELIEVE, THAT IS, THE KIDS SHOULD COME FIRST. Thereby, parents would not have to deal with the personal vendetta inflicted on them and their children by some administrator. When administrators retaliate against children because their parents are outspoken, that is sometime hard to get over.

              I will say I have worked with parents who have had gone through worst things than Jennifer and have reached a point where they can be a support to others and try to improve the district as a whole, but that takes time and the system should not place parents in a confrontational position. Jennifer is still in the struggle, but I see light at the end for her son, because there has been some things done, and there are district staff, past and present who are working to resolve the issues.

              We must remember parents would be happy to support the system if they believe the system supported them.

              Scottie Smith