Re: [wccusdtalk] Kensington move

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2004
      May I suggest that everyone keep in mind when dealing with construction issues,
      - What best benefits the children more than any other issue?
      - Would you want your children around any construction site?
      - Would you want your children around any large construction machinery?
      - Would you want your children around the dust, garbage and waste that is generated from such construction site?
      - Would you want your children distracted by the noise that comes from a construction site?
      - Would you want your children distracted by heavy machinery because as we all know watching a big dump truck or back hoe is exciting for a young child?
      - Do we think about the children or the disruption to our lives as adults for this inconvenience?

      Then I would like everyone to think about,
      1. The public's constant demands that results be shown from Measure M (rightfully so).
      2. How difficult communications can be in this district.
      3. That construction deadlines seem to come up so quickly it is difficult to contact all parties involved (there needs to be improvement in this area NOW!)
      4. That time is money.
      5. That maybe the district and public need to rely more heavily on the Measure M & D website for up to the minute information and that this website be kept up daily.

      These issues are difficult ones to tackle and should not be taken lightly. We will be experiencing these same issues between Ellerhorst and Stewart Elementaries in Pinole. And yes we have several people asking the same questions and tackling the same concerns. Believe me there have been so many discussions and not everyone is of the same mind, but the bottom line is the KIDS. Their well being and lives puts everything into perspective.

      Tammy Campbell

      Jim and Judy Sanders <jsanders467@...> wrote:
      As much as I love conspiracy theories, this one doesn't seem to hold
      water. I am on the Kensington Site Committee, and was present at the
      meeting where the relocation to the Portola site was first discussed.
      Actually, I think it may have been mentioned in passing at a previous
      meeting, but was dismissed out of hand at that time. This time,
      however, having sat through a lengthy meeting planning the actual
      phasing of the move, impact on the traffic, educational program, health
      and safety of the students, the site committee was seriously interested
      in looking at alternative scenarios to what was obviously going to be a
      very disruptive year or two if we were to attempt to stay at our
      current site during construction. The phasing plan proposed initially,
      due to constraints imposed by the lack of yard space for temporary
      housing, was for half of the school to be rebuilt while the other half
      continued to be housed in their regular classrooms. Then when the
      first section of classroom was completed, the second phase would begin.
      Many teachers would have to move three times before the project was
      complete. The construction zone would be separated from the rest of
      the campus by a fence, which would hardly contain the noise and
      attendant chaos. In addition, there will be new construction (a
      2-story classroom building which will take the place of the current
      portable classrooms) which will be built on a hillside less than 50
      feet from occupied classrooms (among them my first grade classroom) and
      will entail the removal of many very large trees. While a complete
      relocation to the Portola site was not, and is not, anyone's idea of a
      perfect solution, when looking at the alternatives, it begins to look
      moderately attractive. It also seems obvious that relocation would
      allow our site to be rebuilt in a more timely fashion, which would save
      on construction costs. There are many issues to be discussed, among
      them before- and after-school care for many students, transportation
      for students who currently are able to walk to school, traffic issues
      on the Portola and Moeser sides of the proposed campus, impact on the
      Portola school community, etc. As far as I know, as a site committee
      member, nothing has been finalized. I'll be interested to hear the
      discussion at the Board meeting on Wednesday.
      Judy Sanders

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
      Click Here

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2004
        Tammy,

        I just went to the districts Bond site, as you suggested in the below post,
        where I would expect information on discussions of the different school
        sites at least in the Bond Oversight committees agendas and minutes.

        The last posted agenda and minutes, for the Bond Oversight Committee, unless
        I just missed the more recent updates was December 4, 2002.

        The program status reports were from November 5, 2003 which is better.

        The Construction reports were as of January 2004 which is fine.

        But the discussion of what is going on in the planning stages such as
        Kensington should be being discussed in the Oversight Committee because the
        Oversight Committee, for the community, is one of the more important aspects
        of the Bond Program so the community can see that the Oversight Committee is
        being able to review what is going on so the community can see that their
        interests are being monitored. However, if the last posting on the Bond
        Program site for the Oversight Committee is 12-04-02 that does not give
        great comfort that the Committee is being valued by this district and we as
        a community have no way of knowing if the Committee is being effective and
        or being given pertinent information without the monthly posting of minutes.

        Kevin Rivard

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2004
          Kevin,
          You are correct in pointing out that the website is a bit behind in the times. This is why it is so important for the district to get this right to get the buy from the community. What scares me is that I believe they may be dealing with too many projects at once and not able to reach out as effectively as they could. I'm not saying they may be doing a poor job on their constructions projects, but no one really understands the scope of everything they are doing because the pace is so fast. But if you don't stop and reach out then in the long haul you will lose support.
          Tammy Campbell

          Kevin Rivard <kfrivard@...> wrote:
          Tammy,

          I just went to the districts Bond site, as you suggested in the below post,
          where I would expect information on discussions of the different school
          sites at least in the Bond Oversight committees agendas and minutes.

          The last posted agenda and minutes, for the Bond Oversight Committee, unless
          I just missed the more recent updates was December 4, 2002.

          The program status reports were from November 5, 2003 which is better.

          The Construction reports were as of January 2004 which is fine.

          But the discussion of what is going on in the planning stages such as
          Kensington should be being discussed in the Oversight Committee because the
          Oversight Committee, for the community, is one of the more important aspects
          of the Bond Program so the community can see that the Oversight Committee is
          being able to review what is going on so the community can see that their
          interests are being monitored. However, if the last posting on the Bond
          Program site for the Oversight Committee is 12-04-02 that does not give
          great comfort that the Committee is being valued by this district and we as
          a community have no way of knowing if the Committee is being effective and
          or being given pertinent information without the monthly posting of minutes.

          Kevin Rivard

          >From: Tammera Campbell
          >To: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com
          >CC: Maria Alegria , Betty Boyle ,