Principals with two schools

  • Marsha Williamson
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2004
      Dear Supt. Johnston and School Board Members,

      As a parent who lived through the horrors of having Judy Kantor as a
      part-time site administrator at my children's' elementary school, Madera
      and Castro School in the post-bankruptcy years, I would like to make a
      recommendation, which is purely advisory of course. Don't go down that
      road again. Laura Soble, Madera SSC President, found out today that a
      "plan" will be recommended at an upcoming School Board hearing or
      meeting regarding a shared site administrator for Madera and Mira
      Vista. She has written a very wise letter to WCCUSDtalk which you
      should all take the time to read.

      Personally, I believe it would be reckless and irresponsible to have a
      part-time site administrator at any school undergoing modernization.

      I agree that some administrative positions could be consolidated or
      eliminated in our school district. In my opinion these should be the
      positions that involve the least number of student contact hours and are
      the farthest removed from the school sites.

      If administrative duties need to be consolidated, why not consider the
      following alternative, which was also practiced in the post-bankruptcy
      era at my children's school. Have an administrator on site 100% time,
      with responsibilities that include site administrator as well as an
      adjunct administrative function. Jane Gill functioned as our principal
      and as a district level math coordinator for several years at Madera.
      Sheila Farley functioned as principal of Shannon School and district
      GATE coordinator for many years, also. This certainly was not ideal, but
      it worked out better than having one principal who needed to be in two
      places at once. Schools begin to unravel without the constant presence
      of a principal during the school day. This might also help to
      accomplish some of the "downtown streamlining" that the community keeps
      asking for. We need more administrators at the sites, not fewer.
      Please give this your immediate attention.

      Sincerely,
      Marsha Williamson.