Re: [wccusdtalk] Redistricting Committee choices set?

  • SarahCreeley@aol.com
    Message 1 of 50 , Feb 1, 2004
      In a message dated 1/31/2004 2:34:10 PM Pacific Standard Time,
      micheleclemons@... writes

    • theswiftclan@earthlink.net
      Message 50 of 50 , Feb 1, 2004
        Sarah,
        Your comments about overcrowding and not considering whether there are
        enough schools in the area to support residential growth is right on. I am
        an Olinda School parent. The school itself is on County land, our students
        are from both the County and the City of Richmond (I live in the City of
        Richmond) and the school is run by WCCUSD. The County and City Councils and
        the School Board all need to work together with respect to their
        interdependent interests. At present I know the City and County work
        together, but without open lines of communication on both sides with the
        District...?

        My school in particular is likely to be listed as candidate for being closed
        on Monday based primarily on its current level of enrollment. (We have 300
        students.) The school is in good repair so is not scheduled for immediate
        remedial construction. We have limited title one funds coming in (15% of
        our students participate; this is considered "too low"). So, we are not
        considered to be a revenue generator for the district. This is in spite of
        the fact that we are in the top five performing schools in a large district
        and have over a 97% attendance rate. (Hanna Ranch also, if I remember
        rightly). Canyon Oaks, a new housing development just down the street from
        the school, was assigned to Sheldon school through a "clerical error
        downtown"! Why can't this be fixed? I don't believe a clerk should be able
        to determine boundaries. These children, rather than going to a school
        three blocks away from the gates of their development must travel more than
        a mile down San Pablo Dam Road to May Road to Sheldon School. This
        development could provide up to 50 students to Olinda. Most Canyon Oaks
        residents are new families with very young children. When the new housing
        development across Castro Ranch Road is built in the next year and a half it
        could account for another 49. Bingo, we are up to nearly 400. This
        calculation does not take into account other planned and/or approved
        developments.

        Our research has identified a loss of (ADA)income to the district at the
        middle school level from our area. If Olinda could be turned into a K-8
        (our principal is already credentialled for this) we have estimated we could
        significantly increase ADA income to the District. We are in the process of
        confirming our estimates. The amount could be considered peanuts in the
        light of a proposed $20million deficit, really $18.5million if you take out
        proposed discretionary expenses ($1.5million in books). But it is
        significant when you consider the long term health of the school district as
        a whole. We will be presenting this and more revenue generating ideas both
        for our school and the district at the Public Hearings and Board Meetings.

        The message being sent in our case would be "sorry, academic performance
        doesn't really matter, only protecting existing title one and bond revenues
        and ignoring future income streams." What are we all talking about then?
        Isn't all of this, education for our children, all about preparing for the
        future? I believe that we should be careful how money is earned and spent
        whether times are hard or not and I remain unconvinced that the District is
        pursuing this course.

        Cathy Swift
        Olinda Parent and PTA President