RE: [wccusdtalk] Re: Info on College Planning Solutions

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 7, 2004
      Jeffrey,

      There are so many things in your posting that I could comment on but then I
      would run the risk of being called a nay sayer again.

      Two things, your comment, "a logically thought out process as the best way
      to deliver that service."
      We are talking California educational system here and one of the poorest
      performing in the state, where lack of logic rules the day. The second point
      reinforces the lack of logic and answers some of your implied questions when
      this district created and then hired a brand new webmistress. who my sources
      say is getting over $70,000 a year and on top of that she is in charge of
      the web site for the Yes on Parcel Tax Measure J committee.

      So Jeffrey, I think you may surmise the reason outsourcing is done in this
      district is because the tail not only is not wagging the dog sometimes I
      think the tail is not even connected to the dog but is enjoying all the
      benefits.

      I don't know what the heck I just said but I am sure someone will straighten
      me out and darn I think I went over that line again into naysyayer land.

      Kevin

    • Alicia
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 9, 2004
        My son is one of the children of 2006 that CPS is working with. We
        have been in contact with them since my son was in 7th grade over at
        Portola.
        They have provided the following:
        Talked with my son about what profession he was interested in for the
        future.
        Provided my son with a personlized book about each profession he was
        interested in - what the job market for that particular position was,
        how much it paid and additional information about the field....My son
        picked 3 things
        Several phone calls getting information about what college he was
        interested in - and then they sent us a personlized book giving us
        information on each college - along with cover letters to each school
        requesting additional information - all we did was put a stamp on it
        and send em away.

        I dont know how much they are being paid but I feel like the early
        exposure to college talk has encouraged my son to keep college in his
        head. Hes in 10th grade right now and he is on an accelerated pace
        in all advanced classes and doing B average work...
        So he is on track to attend the college he choses. College Planning
        Solutions has said they will become much more involved in the up and
        coming year. I have also met Mr. Augustine and thought he was very
        nice.

        I feel fortunate my son has gotten this opportunity.

      • mswizbiz@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 10, 2004
          Dear Parent:
          I am happy to hear that your son has been provided with so much assistance
          from College Planning Solutions. On the other hand, I am somewhat surprised to
          find that CPS has been working with your son since he was in 7th grade, since
          this is outside the scope of the contract CPS presently has with the district.
          Your son must have been one of the students targeted in the Berkeley Pledge
          outreach program. When that program was active, CPS was working with our
          school district through a collaboration with UC Berkeley. To my knowledge, that
          collaboration no longer exists. CPS is specifically contracted with the
          district at this time to provide high school seniors with assistance in college
          admissions and financial aid. Suffice it to say that your son is probably one of
          a lucky few who were targeted in middle school through the UC outreach effort
          to be provided with special services paid for by funds originating from UC,
          not the WCCUSD.
          Sincerely,
          Marsha Williamson

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 13, 2004
            Alas Marsha this funding is now disappearing. What a
            shame. It just points out that not only are our local
            school districts being squeezed, but so is the UC
            system that requires viable students to attend their
            schools. You know it will be a sad day when more
            students at UC come from outside the state because our
            local school districts don't have enough money to
            educate our children. Okay off my soapbox.
            Tammy

          • Aukena@aol.com

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 13, 2004
                Dear Marcia:
                Yes you are right - it is not funded through the district but with
                federal money and UCBerkeley. Its the CalWest Gear Up Program
                http://eco.berkeley.edu/calwest/
                And it does still exist - The school district is managing it.
                Or do you know something I dont? Its very possible. I havent been
                in contact with Nicole Joyner for a while - is the program no longer
                there??
                THANKS

              • mswizbiz@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 13, 2004
                  Allison,
                  It's all very complicated. I don't know if any money is left in the Gear Up
                  grant (federally funded, I think) which has been administered by the WCCUSD
                  under Cathy Kosel's management, at least until this fiscal year. I think Gear
                  Up may be out of money and the district is trying to switch over some of the
                  previous Gear Up commitments to TIIG. If Arnold has his way, UC will no longer
                  be involved in any of these "partnership" programs. Perhaps this will be one
                  that will not be missed. I would like to hear from the faculty at ECHS and
                  Portola about the Gear Up program, but understand that individuals do not want
                  to speak up for fear of retaliation.
                  Marsha

                • Marsha Williamson
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 14, 2004
                    Alicia,
                    I'm not sure what's going on with Cal*West Gear Up from a funding
                    perspective. You could forward this to Cathy Kosel, a district
                    administrator with a lot of experience in this area and she could
                    probably fill you in on that. Please copy back to the listserve, since
                    many of us are interested in this topic.
                    Marsha