Re: [wccusdtalk] (unknown)

  • mswizbiz@aol.com
    Message 1 of 44 , Jan 1, 2004
      Happy New Year Kevin, Scottie and all,

      Is this $100K paying for the College Planning Solutions (CPS) consultant,
      Ricky Augustine? (Maybe some of it's a kick back to whom I shall not say.) In
      their CPS's defense, as Kevin knows, they will be holding a college financial
      aid/planning workshop at Richmond High-- I think the first week in January.
      Flyers about this were sent to high schools throughout the district (maybe 50 to
      each high school, lost in piles somewhere). My son received a flyer in the
      mail because he and my husband attended the CPS college fair at Richmond High
      last fall at my request. They considered the fair a gigantic waste of time.
      Many of the colleges and universities shown on the "map" were not even there!
      UC Berkeley's table consisted of a couple of undergrad student volunteers
      answering questions about campus life. Better than nothing. And there was a
      follow-up letter from College Planning Solutions with a nebulous offer to help
      with college admissions planning in the coming months. Let us not forget the
      website designed by Tech Futures, called College Wizard.com (I think). It lists
      the same historically black colleges represented at the college fair, CSU and
      UC links and one Ivy League school--Brown in RI. When I asked about the less
      than comprehensive listings and links on the website, I was told they were
      still working on the website. I think that website was paid for out of last
      year's AP Challenge Grant money, that was left "unspent" by the sites. I'm sure
      many of you recall that situation. Maybe Tech Futures needs some TIIG money to
      put the polish on that website.

      My suggestion about all this is the following:
      There are some excellent, extremely comprehensive college fairs that are held
      in the East Bay each year. Why not use some money to pay for buses to bring
      kids and parents to the fair held at St. Mary's College in the spring, for
      example? It would be like a giant fieldtrip. Of course we would have to bump up
      communication to the students and parents a notch to make that work.
      Communication; there's an interesting concept. Maybe we could get PTA and Site
      Council members to volunteer to help with the effort. This is definitely a project
      for our new Parent and Community Involvement Coordinator, Ms. Supple. She
      could coordinate with parent contacts at the different high school sites and get
      the word out.
      Looking forward to a challenging 2004 for us all,
      Your friend and WCCUSD parent,
      Marsha Williamson

      PS I really should have read my board packet before going on and on about
      this. I am afraid to look at the inserts for several Jan 7 agenda items because
      I have been told that my sorrow about the sad state of affairs in our district
      will only deepen.

    • Roger
      Message 44 of 44 , Nov 19, 2008
        Hello all. Rogér Fahr, here, ex-WCCUSD Grants Office.

        Margaret and Mike are on the right track. The District Safety Committee would actually be
        a great place to start. The CDE has a model template for school safety plans. The plan has
        a number of components. This could be helpful. Link: http://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/ss/vp/sschecklist.asp

        Other links of interest: http://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/ss/vp/safeschlplanning.asp
        and http://www.safestate.org/index.cfm?navId=15

        There is also a grant opportunity coming up. However, it is doubtful that more than one
        school in the district would be funded.

        Link to last year's announcement (the new announcement is not out yet):