RE: Counselors, TIIG, Budget

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2003
      Dear Rebecca,

      Happy New Year to you and your family and have a safe New Years Eve. Right
      now I have the 2 and 1/2 Grandkids here. Oh, also my daughter carrying the
      1/2. We are throwing our East Coast New Years Eve party with the Times
      Square in the background on the computer. This way we can see the ball drop
      and the grandkids get to go to bed at a West Coast reasonable hour.

      Thank you for allowing your posting to be shared as we need as many voices
      to be heard and read to show there are more than a few of us that share the
      same concerns.

      Again, have a grand New Year.

      Kevin

> [...]
      >for
      >about 45 minutes with the students' counselor to plan the program for the
      >student based on that students needs. Also, the counselor assessed the
      >classes the
      >student still needed to graduate and wrote up a schedule including those
      >courses the student needed to accomplish his or her goals. Everyone signed
      >off on
      >the schedule and the parents got a chance to, one on one with the counselor
      >(with their child present), discuss any issues that were on their mind. My
      >son's
      >dad and I attended the session with our older son (class of 99), but
      >unfortunately we do not have this opportunity with our current 10th grader.
      >
      >Outsourcing this function seems to me to directly have an impact on our
      >district's high school counseling program; perhaps even supplanting an
      >important
      >part of the program's responsibilities. One of the shames of this is that a
      >counselor deals with that student on site, while these College Planning
      >Consultants, by the very nature of their employment status (not on a
      >specific school
      >site) have to be dealing with students based on profiles, not on actual
      >contact
      >with that student.
      >
      >I don't think it benefits our high schools to have the guidance counseling
      >program undermined by outsourcing, that is masquerading as something else.
      >
      >Also, there was another thread that was on the WCCUSDlist a week or so ago
      >that I followed with interest: the issue of administrative new hires. A
      >hiring
      >freeze was announced on December 12th, but before that three new
      >administrative hires were implemented: family and community involvement
      >coordinator, school
      >linked services manager on Oct 15th and the new Communications Coordinator
      >(website designer) on Nov 12th. Also, a facilitator was brought on board to
      >replace Dr. Johnston while she was on sick leave that cost us $500 a day,
      >rather
      >than appoint a Deputy Superintendent as Acting Superintendent. I think the
      >district should not have made these new hires. They knew they were going to
      >have
      >to institute a hiring freeze.
      >
      >This brings me to the issue of the article published in the December 25th
      >edition of the West County Times in which 9 school districts in Alameda and
      >Contra Costa County indicated they may not be able to meet their
      >obligations in
      >either this school year or the next two school years. Our district chose to
      >file
      >a favorable report even though they have already informed the public that
      >they
      >will need a parcel tax to balance the budget. This is why I keep wondering

      Working moms: Find helpful tips here on managing kids, home, work � and
      yourself. http://special.msn.com/msnbc/workingmom.armx
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
        And Scotti, these little chunks of money paid out to contracts already
        underway are actually not a little chunk of change when you add them up. As
        I said in a previous posting this January 7, 2004 packet is a total of
        nearly $700,000 that is a little slush fund for the Administration. I have
        the December 3, 2003 board packet still next to the computer that I had yet
        to file and I added up those Professional Consulting Contracts and the Grant
        Award/Agreement pages and the grand total was $2,132,000 in that one board
        packet. So adding the Dec.3 and Jan. 7 board packets there is $2,832,000.
        About 25% of the money the district hopes to get from the Measure J Parcel
        Tax. That is just 2 board packets. Think of the money being given out in the
        other 18 or so packets during the year and what accountability is there when
        the contracts are already in force before the Board votes on them. Glen said
        in his December 31 post "the work that College Planning Consultants has done
        over the years for WCCUSD has been very impressive and many students who are
        currently attending college and universities are there because of their
        help." I wonder what type of follow up evaluation there is required from
        these consultants of their work from the board or do the consultants just do
        their work get paid, after the fact, as in many of the cases in the Jan. 7,
        2004 and then move on or get a new contract for next year without an
        evaluation. I never have seen a follow up in a board packet or on the public
        information table at a board meeting.

        I just hope that if the public passes Measure J they demand more
        accountability from the district administration and the board than they do
        from these bi-monthly give away or the Measure J money will be used just
        like this money. All centrally distributed and ok'd by the Board after the
        contracts are running.

        Oh well, business as usual.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
          --Hello All:

          Below is an announcement from the Hercules Branch of the NAACP:

          On January 19, 2004, at 11:30AM, at the Hercules Middle High School
          Auditorium, 1900 Refugio Valley Road, the NAACP, Hercules, Pinol, Rodeo and
          Crocket Branches will hold it annual Martin Luther King Ceremonies. The
          keynote speaker will be Congresswoman Barbara Lee. The public is invited.
          Reception and Refreshment to follow. Questions can be directed to (510) 245-
          8530.

          All of us should try an attend, last years was great, maybe she will answer
          some questions on NCLB (No Child Left Behind Act).

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2004
            Everyone,
            It is important to scrutinize why contracts are already in progress that the board has not already approved. Remember some of these contracts are established by the school sites themselves for their grant projects and have nothing to do with downtown. The board okays these contracts on the consent calendar as a formality rather than a checks and balances. I am not concerned about these contracts.

            What we need to scrutinize more closely are the contracts initiated by downtown that seem to have little or no connection with a particular school site. These are the ones we really need to question why we are already in the contract period before the school board even votes to support. I'd be curious just how many of these items on the consent calendar fall into this category.

            Just something else to think about.
            Tammy

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT