Re: [wccusdtalk] Narrow Scope of Parcel Tax (Re: Kevin's suggestion)

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2003
      >I also think it is important that the parcel tax language be very
      >specific and narrow in focus. Asking the voters to essentially approve
      >a "blank check" that could cover all the items listed is likely to be
      >unsuccessful. Judy

      Well Judy,

      Just fill out your Pay to the Order line to WCCUSD, sign the Signature line
      and send it in because the Consultants are consulting, the builders are
      building, the book publishers are printing, the maintenance department is
      maintaining, and then fill out two other checks payable to the Educational
      Supply Store in El Cerrito and the COUNSELOR, TEACHER and AIDES SUPPORT
      SOCIETY, because when the above people get through with their purchase
      requests then the Counselors, Teachers and Aides that have not found better
      jobs with better security somewhere else might need a raise to pay for the
      higher cost of living and might need you to go to the Educational store and
      buy some supplies that can't be covered in this TAX due to lack of oversight
      and misspending.

      Just a thought.

      Kevin

> [...]
      >unsuccessful. Given the suggested text, it would be possible to spend
      >the tax money collected on items that do not include class size
      >reduction and retention of high school counselors--the two specific
      >programs that the community was most vocal about preserving during last
      >spring's and this fall's public meetings.
      >Judy
      >

      >On Sunday, November 30, 2003, at 12:42 PM, marikosdad95 wrote:
      >
      > > I would prefer that the parcel tax focus on class-size reduction,
      > > teachers, counselors, and aides as Kevin proposes in his
      > > wording below. I wonder if additional wording to specify
      > > "salaries" related to the above should also be included.
      > >
      > > One request for information: Please say more about CSR in
      > > Grade 9.
      > >
      > > Thanks.
      > >
      > > David Whitenack
      > >
      > > --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Rivard"
      > > <kfrivard@h...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > The first Parcel Tax language is that of the district. One that in
      > > my
      > > > opinion is to vague and has to many add ons that will dilute the
      > > > effectiveness of the small amount of money that will be
      > > collected. The
      > > > second is how I would like to see it amended so that the items
      > > listed will
      > > > have the money now and in the future five years to pay for those
      > > items. I
      > > > would like to see some other suggestions before Monday so
      > > this can have a
      > > > fair and balanced approach before the special meeting or at
      > > least a true
      > > > public debate of sorts on this forum. Please pass this on to
      > > others for
      > > > discussion.
      > > >
      > > > To maintain reduced class sizes; purchase textbooks and
      > > teaching
      > > > materials; attract and retain qualified teachers, aides and
      > > > counselors; enhance core subjects including reading, writing,
      > > math and
      > > > science, and improve custodial services, shall West Contra
      > > Costa
      > > > Unified School District be authorized to levy, for 5 years only
      > > > beginning July 1, 2004, an annual tax of 6.8� per square foot of
      > > real
      > > > property improvements or $6.80 per vacant parcel, with an
      > > exemption
      > > > for eligible owners aged 65 or older?
      > > >
      > > > Amended version:
      > > >
      > > > To maintain reduced class sizes, including ninth grade; to
      > > retain each of
      > > > the following, qualified teachers,
      > > > aides and counselors, shall West Contra Costa Unified School
      > > District be
      > > > authorized
      > > > to levy, for 5 years only beginning July 1, 2004, an annual tax of
      > > > 6.8� per square foot of real property improvements or $6.80
      > > per vacant
      > > > parcel,
      > > > with an exemption for eligible owners aged 65 or older?

      online games and music with a high-speed Internet connection! Prices start
      at less than $1 a day average. https://broadband.msn.com (Prices may vary
      by service area.)