Re: Ltr. to WCCUSD, Dr. Johnston, Dr. Stewart re Elimination of ...

  • Francie
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 10, 2003
      Amy,
      The reality is that our children are being murdered on the street. The
      West County Times and Oakland Tribune cover the incidents when they
      happen. Keith Maki, a high school freshman who graduated from Adams,
      was the 110th homocide in Oakland last December.

      When we hear about a child being shot on the evening news, the first
      reaction is "please Lord, don't let it be one of ours." The reality is
      that our kids deal with death and dying every single day.

      For many, school becomes a sanctuary. That's why the secondary folks
      are so upset about losing 50% of our site supervisors and our
      counselors. We have many students who are eligible to attend college
      and would receive grants to pay their way. The process of applying is
      complicated (much more so than "back in the day" when we did it). How
      is a kid whose parents never attended college going to figure it all
      out? If you are a bright student with savvy parents, what clerks are
      going to be left in the schools to send your paperwork off to UC
      Berkeley in a timely fashion?

      The parents keep telling the district to make the cuts away from the
      classroom so that's what's happening. No clerks to handle your
      paperwork for transfers to other district schools or for colleges. No
      counselors to help poor families get the services they need. No
      libraries open in most of our elementary schools (Kensington & Madera
      will find a way to keep their libraries going strong; Peres & Verde
      will continue to use Title I funding for their libraries. Losers are
      the El Sobrante and Pinole schools).

      Francie