Ltr. to WCCUSD, Dr. Johnston, Dr. Stewart re Elimination of Counselors

  • brownshoesdontmakeit2003
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2003
      June 9, 2003

      Dear WCCUSD School Board Members, Dr. Johnston, Dr. Stewart:

      In the past three weeks, two WCCUSD students have been murdered:
      Frank Lamar Thomas, a 7th grader at Portola Middle School, and Jorge
      Herrera, a 17-year-old at Kappa High School.

      In both cases, it was "lucky" that only one child was killed
      because other young teens were beside the victims when shots were
      fired. In both cases, the killer is still at large.

      I can't imagine a big, urban school district like West Contra
      Costa trying to get by without school counselors. There have been
      several violent incidents on school grounds this year. We have a
      high percentage of students with no health insurance and no access to
      any other kind of counseling. It would be extremely irresponsible to
      eliminate the entire counseling staff throughout the district.

      My daughter is a 7th-grader at Portola and I know how devastating
      Lamar's murder was for the students there. We need to come
      together as a community and say NO to violence and NO to short-
      changing our children. Eliminating all counselors is NOT an option,
      in my opinion. Please look harder to find solutions to the school's
      budget problems. I believe parents in this community are clearly
      expressing their desire to find other ways to balance the budget.

      Sincerely,
      Melissa McMillion
      Madera/Portola parent

      cc: Jack O'Connell, State Superintendent of Schools