Re: School Population Counts

  • Francie
    Message 1 of 56 , Nov 1, 2003
      Tammy-
      Since you've been waiting so long for the enrollment stats, it's
      probably time to create your own chart (or maybe find a volunteer on
      the list to compile the numbers).

      You can access all of the numbers on the Internet. I've never looked
      for grade level breakdowns but just found them on DataQuest, a
      terrific site for CA educational statistics:
      http://data1.cde.ca.gov/dataquest/
      Subject: Enrollment and Level: District
      Select year (from '93-'94 thru last year)
      Select district
      Select Enrollment by grade

      The numbers for this year haven't been posted yet - it's still too
      early. We're still enrolling and dropping students just about every
      day. Some of those who are leaving are heading toward Fairfield &
      Vacaville. It's just anecdotal evidence but I agree with those on the
      list who've said that people are being priced out of the area or are
      getting jobs wherever they can.

      For those on the list who are learning about educational bureaucracy,
      the schools take a detailed count of their students and faculty
      October 1st of each year and report it to the state Dept. of
      Education. These reports are called the CBEDS (California Basic
      Educational Data System). The CBEDS determine some categorical funding
      (i.e. when the state gives me library money, it's on a per student
      basis, based upon how many students were reported on the CBEDS - or
      how many students were at Adams on Oct 1st).

      A really terrific website for seeing school-related information is:
      www.greatschools.net

      You'll be able to see enrollment, testing information and teacher
      qualifications for district schools. The site easily links from one
      year to another and explains what information means and where it came
      from. I've found it to be updated pretty quickly.

      Francie Kunaniec
      Library Media Teacher, Adams Middle

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Tammera Campbell
      <tammeracampbell@y...> wrote:
      > Everyone,
      > Just to let you know that I am still waiting on the population
      counts at each school per grade for the last three years.
      Message 56 of 56 , Nov 3, 2003
        Touch�, Tammy.

        Millions of dollars over the years have paid for district consultants and
        then when you ask for the information that has been paid for over and over
        again you get stonewalled. But that is how this community likes it. They
        take it in the shorts and smile and continue to give money to this corrupt
        bureaucracy. I do mean corrupt. There are many ways of corruption and when
        the students of this school district are used to get over $250,000,000 a
        year in just general fund monies, to continue an educational program that
        continuously graduates over 70% of the students in a non proficient status
        that to me is a definition of corruption.

        Think about the private company you are working for. If over 70% of the
        product was non proficient or not up to minimum standards how long would
        that company be in business. Yet this community accepts that kind of product
        from this district and continually supports it by giving more money.

        Incredible.

        Kevin

> [...]
        >(i.e. when the state gives me library money, it's on a per student
        >basis, based upon how many students were reported on the CBEDS - or
        >how many students were at Adams on Oct 1st).
        >
        >A really terrific website for seeing school-related information is:
        >www.greatschools.net
        >
        >You'll be able to see enrollment, testing information and teacher
        >qualifications for district schools. The site easily links from one
        >year to another and explains what information means and where it came
        >from. I've found it to be updated pretty quickly.
        >
        >Francie Kunaniec
        >Library Media Teacher, Adams Middle
        >
        >--- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Tammera Campbell
        ><tammeracampbell@y...> wrote:
        > > Everyone,
        > > Just to let you know that I am still waiting on the population
        >counts at each school per grade for the last three years.

        Concerned that messages may bounce because your Hotmail account has exceeded
        its 2MB storage limit? Get Hotmail Extra Storage!
        http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es