Re: [wccusdtalk] Redistricting Committee Meeting Date?

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 31, 2003
      Tammy,

      Also I do not want to show up and be presented with material that we are to
      look over and OK that day.

      I want time to look at the material so I can formulate as intelligent as
      possible for a naive, ignorant parent that I am, questions to the content of
      the material.

      If we do not receive the material before the meeting then I will ask that
      any decision be put off until we have time to review the material and
      formulate questions to be answered by staff.

      Kevin

      >From: Tammera Campbell <tammeracampbell@...>
      >To: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [wccusdtalk] Redistricting Committee Meeting Date?
      >Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 07:46:55 -0800 (PST)
      >
      >Any of you out there who were nominated by your principal to be a part of
      >this redistricting committee, have you heard anything? At the last Pinole
      >City Council meeting it was stated that the date for the meeting is
      >November 16th. Well this date is fast approaching and if we are not
      >notified I'm not sure we will get fair representation across the district.
      >Tammy

      Send instant messages to anyone on your contact list with MSN Messenger
      6.0. Try it now FREE! http://msnmessenger-download.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2003
        Kevin,
        Be prepared for an already canned presentation developed by a consultant that will tell us what the superintendent wants. Frankly unless you change the boundaries of the elementary schools and change the locations of the middle schools you will never achieve the goal of kids staying together from the same neighborhoods all the way through from K-12. Also this concept of shoving 6th graders to the middle schools has got to go. When I was on the last boundary committee, the majority of the people in the room did not want it either. So why do we keep going back to it. Our campuses are overcrowded as it is. Having talked recently to many Hercules folks of children in 6th grade, they are very unhappy and distraught over the population count at that campus and want their 6th graders to go back to elementary school sites. Hercules was built for 1500 students. There are now over 2000 and growing. Been there and done that in Pinole - and believe it or not doing it again as our
        numbers slowly creep back up at that school. You know, the joke about this whole thing - we will need to do this again when everyone fills out caregiver forms to go to the newly rebuilt Helms Middle School when that gets done.
        Tammy

        Tammy,

        Also I do not want to show up and be presented with material that we are to
        look over and OK that day.

        I want time to look at the material so I can formulate as intelligent as
        possible for a naive, ignorant parent that I am, questions to the content of
        the material.

        If we do not receive the material before the meeting then I will ask that
        any decision be put off until we have time to review the material and
        formulate questions to be answered by staff.

        Kevin

        >From: Tammera Campbell <tammeracampbell@...>
        >To: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [wccusdtalk] Redistricting Committee Meeting Date?
        >Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 07:46:55 -0800 (PST)
        >
        >Any of you out there who were nominated by your principal to be a part of
        >this redistricting committee, have you heard anything? At the last Pinole
        >City Council meeting it was stated that the date for the meeting is
        >November 16th. Well this date is fast approaching and if we are not
        >notified I'm not sure we will get fair representation across the district.
        >Tammy

        Send instant messages to anyone on your contact list with MSN Messenger
        6.0. Try it now FREE! http://msnmessenger-download.com

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Marsha Williamson
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 6, 2003
          There was some confusion about this at the school board meeting last
          Wednesday. Mr. Kilmartin and Ms. Kosel, the chair of the committee
          appear to not be following the school board's directives or their own
          committee's charter for that matter! Mr. Kilmartin mentioned in his
          comments that a meeting would be happening with the committee next week
          and it would include FIVE "selected" parent representatives from a pool
          of 50 potential parent representatives from all the school sites. I got
          the impression that Mr. Kilmartin needed to go back to the drawing board
          regarding the committee composition before a meeting could take place.
          I would suggest contacting his office directly for further details.
          Marsha Williamson
          Parent

          [click here]

        • Paul Sosa
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 7, 2003

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 7, 2003
              Paul,

              I am also appointed to this committee by my Principal but have yet to hear
              from the District at all.

              According to a handout from the Board meeting the past Wednesday, November
              5, Cathie Kosel has once again changed the rule of the game. According to
              Vince Kilmartin at the same meeting when asked by George Harris why the
              rules have been changed, Vince said, "Well we were just going by the
              directives of this board." (paraphrased a bit but that was the jest of his
              remarks. Then George said if the Administration was going to change the
              rules then they should write them down and bring the rules back for Board
              approval or at least Board discussion. Vince said, "Okey dokey." (Or words
              to that effect.)

              Then Karen Fenton made remarks similar to George in that she felt what was
              discussed at the previous board meeting did not at all align with what was
              in the handout.

              The handout says, "A Redistricting Meeting was held on October 10, 2003,
              with selected staff members of the District. Chaired by Cathie Kosel, the
              committee worked with Schreder and Associates to understand how facility's
              capacities are determined and to agree on guidelines for that. They also
              reviewed the mapping and geocoding processes. In addition, they reviewed the
              history of redistricting in WCCUSD and plan to meet with four parent
              representatives in November to plan draft scenarios for redistricting. With
              the help of parents, the committee will also plan the workshop for district
              parent representatives at which the scenarios will be presented. A database
              of students currently enrolled was forwarded to Schreder for geocoding and
              is nearly complete."

              Several things are amiss with the above statement. There were no parents
              involved at the October10, 2003 meeting especially those of us who were on
              past redistricting committees so the slant on the history of redistricting
              comes from Administrators some that were not even in the district at the
              time of the past redistricting meetings and or were never present at the
              past meetings. I am a parent that was at the Redistricting Committee in the
              late 90's where every school in the district was to send and or did send
              representatives to a series of meetings where all parties involved and were
              able to participate from the very first meeting. At the Board Meeting
              previous to November 5, the one that George and Karen mentioned it was
              decided by the board that a meeting on a Saturday would be convened with all
              schools being represented. It is on tape. I hope the board will review that
              meeting and tell staff especially, Kilmartin and Kosel, they want parents to
              be involved and not just as an after thought once all the real decisions are
              made. This type of behavior continues to breed the distrust in this district
              but no one of leadership seems to be getting it.

              I will stop now but please use this CC section of this e-mail and pull the
              board members e-addresses and send them a message you as a parent are tired
              of being jerked around by this Administration. Enough is enough and this is
              just one more reason why I cannot support this district when the Board
              members allow the Administration to change the rules and the Board just sits
              there and says, "I don't know what we can do." They can do their job and
              make sure that when they give direction to staff it is followed.

              Kevin

              >From: "Paul Sosa" <pauls@...>
              >To: <wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: RE: [wccusdtalk] Redistricting Committee Meeting Date?
              >Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 09:27:37 -0800
              >
              >I have also been appointed by our Principal to represent our school in the
              >WCCUSD Redistricting Committee. She gave me the letter from Howard Cohen.
              >It states that the meeting will on a Saturday. Possible dates include Nov.
              >15th, Dec. 6th, or Dec. 13th. It's already Nov. 7th. Does anyone know if
              >a date has been determined? Also, has anyone received an agenda or any
              >other materials to review prior to the meeting? I have yet to be contacted
              >by the Redistricting Committee.
              >
              >Thanks, Paul

              Compare high-speed Internet plans, starting at $26.95.