Re: PTSA guidance/suggestions

  • Todd Groves
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2011
      The ECHS community (PTSA, faculty and SSC) together started our WriterCoach Connection program http://www.writercoachconnection.org/ with both site and community funds. We started last year and now have grown to serve all 9th grade and upper level English learning students. Over 100 folks are volunteering to work one-to-one with our kids. The community is also coordinating teachers access to needed resources through donations. What are the biggest needs in your school?

      Use PTSA to find programming supportive of student development, either through exposure to professions and careers, or for families to support learning at home. Many community organizations will gladly come to discuss services they provide.

      PTSA's in each high school should offer countdown-to-college workshops in cooperation with their counseling departments, as to prepare families from grade 9 through 12. Find a local college consultant to present.

      Improved parent engagement at high school is of great benefit to all students.

      Todd Groves