Re: Fw: passion748 sent you a video: "Class Of 2011"

  • Todd Groves
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 14, 2011
      Thanks, Scottie, for sharing testimony of our schools' transformative potential. Similar stories dot the district.

      How do we make this the norm, not the exception? Could we form an army of Scotties? Every kid needs an impassioned, informed advocate. How can we institutionalize individual child advocacy? Our problems with ineffective district staff would evaporate under such a force.

      Todd Groves

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, SCOTTIE SCOTTIE <scottiesmith65@...> wrote:

      > Hello all:
      >
      > I would like to share with you, this you-tube video of a wonderful speech
      > by Derrick Wallace of Hercules High, who graduated on Saturday. I need to share,
      > because I was the advocate for all the boys until they started high school.
      > There grandmother Ms. Tate, whom many of you know, fought hard to get a decent
      > education for the kids after she got them as babies from foster care. Upon her
      > death, her son Deitrick and his wife took the boys in and continued advocating
      > for them. I feel so proud of this student and his brothers, because I know
      > where they has come from and proud of where they are going. I would also like to
      > thank Hercules for giving him the chance to shine. We must look at all students
      > and mentor them in whatever gifts they have. Derrick will be going on to college
      > in Ark, and I don't think we have heard the last of this young man.
      >
      > Deitrick many thanks to you and Charla for a job well done, and for sharing this
      > with me, your mother would have been so proud.
      >  Scottie Smith

    • SCOTTIE SCOTTIE
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 14, 2011
        Todd:

        I so agree that we need an army of advocates, or if we can get responsible
        parents, teachers, administrators to take on the responsibility of
        mentoring/advocating for two children other than their own, we could start
        making a difference. I think what Tyler Hester is trying to do is a good start
        in the right direction, all students have a gift, we need to find it and nurture
        it.
         Scottie Smith