Fw: passion748 sent you a video: "Class Of 2011"

  • SCOTTIE SCOTTIE
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 13, 2011
      Hello all:

      I would like to share with you, this you-tube video of a wonderful speech
      by Derrick Wallace of Hercules High, who graduated on Saturday. I need to share,
      because I was the advocate for all the boys until they started high school.
      There grandmother Ms. Tate, whom many of you know, fought hard to get a decent
      education for the kids after she got them as babies from foster care. Upon her
      death, her son Deitrick and his wife took the boys in and continued advocating
      for them. I feel so proud of this student and his brothers, because I know
      where they has come from and proud of where they are going. I would also like to
      thank Hercules for giving him the chance to shine. We must look at all students
      and mentor them in whatever gifts they have. Derrick will be going on to college
      in Ark, and I don't think we have heard the last of this young man.

      Deitrick many thanks to you and Charla for a job well done, and for sharing this
      with me, your mother would have been so proud.
       Scottie Smith

      From: Deitrick Tate <deitrick.tate@...>
      To: shirley@...; susankizee@...; susankizee@...;
      barnabasstudio67@...; Bruce 2 Bagby <deaconb54@...>; derrick
      wallace <wallace.derrick20@...>; frank sherwood <fsherwood1@...>; joe
      Wallace <wallacej_1998@...>; Joe wallace
      <wallacejunderscore1989@...>; Terese Tate <tjtpig@...>; Van B Waller
      <theemotivator@...>; Jessie Tate <jessietate@...>
      Sent: Mon, June 13, 2011 6:50:44 AM

       Deitrick Tate
      P.O. Box 2937
      Richmond, CA  94547
      tele:  510.681.3484
      barnabasstudio67@...
      Website: http://www.bps67.com

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 14, 2011
        Thanks, Scottie, for sharing testimony of our schools' transformative potential. Similar stories dot the district.

        How do we make this the norm, not the exception? Could we form an army of Scotties? Every kid needs an impassioned, informed advocate. How can we institutionalize individual child advocacy? Our problems with ineffective district staff would evaporate under such a force.

        Todd Groves

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 14, 2011
          Todd:

          I so agree that we need an army of advocates, or if we can get responsible
          parents, teachers, administrators to take on the responsibility of
          mentoring/advocating for two children other than their own, we could start
          making a difference. I think what Tyler Hester is trying to do is a good start
          in the right direction, all students have a gift, we need to find it and nurture
          it.
           Scottie Smith