Re: [wccusdtalk] Re: Is this list dead?

  • Norma J F Harrison
    Message 1 of 24 , May 30, 2011
      They've taken another element of our lives and commodified it, stood it out
      there for all to worship, teaching.
      Teaching is a natural behavior.  We enjoy it.  It's a pleasure to share
      knowledge, idea, skill, questions and proposed answers.  But those are now made
      into the horror that school is, put forward by 'the teacher'.  While it's
      reasonable for there to be 'the dentist', the carpenter - although that's more
      readily modifiable - many people can pick up carpentry on the shop floor/ the
      building site -

      Anyway, it's wholly unreasonable for there to be 'the teacher'.  We're all
      teachers - and students - all our lives.  That that doesn't fit into the profit
      system - we have to be at 'work' so many hours a day in order to get paid so we
      can but our stuff from the people who own the company - The Rich, for whom we
      work -  that the natural part of relationships isn't teaching is reprehensible.
      Let's hate it!

      All our work - civil maintenance, housekeeping, - all of it fits supplying
      workers to enrich our Owners.
      We are alienated  from being able to enjoy many ways of 'working', work having
      become a hated feature for a number of reasons.

      But the fact is we do like to work - just not under these conditions.  We also
      like to play - and don't get enough opportunity to enjoy that.

      “a schoolmaster is a productive labourer when, in addition to belabouring the
      heads of his scholars, he works like a horse to enrich the school proprietor.
      That the latter has laid out his capital in a teaching factory, instead of in a
      sausage factory, does not alter the relation.” Marx

      so?....    Norma

      ________________________________
      From: Eduardo Martinez ezedmartin@... To: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com Sent:
      Mon, May 30, 2011 4:41:42 PM Subject: Re: [wccusdtalk] Re: Is this list dead?

      I often agree with you, but at times I have difficulty understanding exactly
      where you're coming from.  For instance, you say, "Good teaching is a myth of
      the for-profit world."  Does this imply that there is no good teaching or that
      there is no teaching?  And in making such a statement, can you define what you
      mean by "teaching"?  (By the way, I made no mention of good teaching...  but if
      I were to do so, the definition would include authentic relationships in which
      all participants engage in understanding "reality".)  I also am curious about
      your definition of CREATIVE!!!  Does your definition include the thoughts that
      one has after waking up while staring at the ceiling?  I sense that you are
      reading more into what I wrote than what I intended.  I would appreciate knowing

      how what I wrote is "structurally abusive to us mass", how it is "insulting" and

      "dismissive". (Again, I don't see how you get that I was defining "the creative
      process".  I was explaining the various modes of experiencing that needs to be
      considered " by addressing the many styles of understanding our world,
      kinetically, visually, aurally, logically, physically and intuitively".  If
      there are any other modes that I missed, I would certainly like to become aware
      of them.

      Eduardo
      http://www.eduardomartinez4richmond.net/index.html
      ________________________________
      From: Norma J F Harrison <normaha@...> To:
      wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sun, May 29, 2011 6:29:13 PM Subject: Re:
      [wccusdtalk] Re: Is this list dead?

      Good teaching is a myth of the for-profit world.  If we can see that the places
      to be are where people want to be, not where the profit-loaded system requires,
      we can begin to grasp the huge deformity we're up against, and work to change
      it.  Picture a four year old wandering into a shop in which wooden or mixed
      material objects are being made.  What a bunch of teaching goes on there! And
      learning, for that's what happens when teaching is real and not this hold over
      the participants, 'teachers' and students alike.
      And picture the 10 or 20 or 50 year old 'wandering' into a research lab .... or
      onto a farm - small farm must become the norm...  or into the yard to play with
      people  ....etc.
      WE ARE ALL ALWAYS CREATIVE!!!  Your requirement of creative is not the only
      creative.  Your requirement though, is structurally abusive to us mass,
      insulting, dismissive, disagreeing -

      And THAT's exaCTly what school is!
      Norma
      ________________________________
      From: Eduardo Martinez ezedmartin@... To: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com Sent:
      Sun, May 29, 2011 3:09:40 PM Subject: Re: [wccusdtalk] Re: Is this list dead?

      Many of the ideas outlined by us presuppose a certain purpose for education
      assuming that we all are in agreement with that purpose without spelling out
      what that purpose might be.  I think we need to define what we believe education

      to be and from that establish what actions might get us there. Then we need to
      figure out the best way to evaluate the results; I say evaluate and not measure
      because some of the most valuable aspects of education cannot be measured:
      social skills, compassion, creativity, community awareness, etc.  We are too
      tided into measuring results as if we are working with innate objects that will
      react to the same stimuli over and over.  Teaching is a dynamic and creative
      process and the best teachers are the more creative ones with strong social
      skills and a fearlessness that prevents them from being tied down by
      convention.

      I would like to share a video from TED:
      http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1067760674856532262#
      Out of Our Minds: Learning to be Creative by Sir Ken Robinson
      There are several points that should be heard at: 8:40 where Sir Robinson speaks

      about the hierarchy of education,
      11:15 where he speaks to the industrialization of education and how this has led

      to the belief that academic ability is what education is about,
      13:15 where he defines intelligence as being diverse, dynamic and distinct and
      how education needs to nurture these aspects in learning by addressing the many
      styles of understanding our world, kinetically, visually, aurally, logically,
      physically and intuitively,
      18:00 where he uses a metaphor for how we teach and thereby get an idea of what
      we are doing wrong.

      For those of you who might not watch, I would like to share the story of Gillian

      Lynn, the choreographer of CATS and other Broadway musicals.  Because she was a
      failure and behavior problem in school, the principal/councilor suggested to