To spew or not to spew?

  • Todd Groves
    Message 1 of 2 , May 26, 2011
      What have I learned from reading this list? If I were a Martian, and knew the district only through the posts here, I would gleen this district's problems are in order;

      1. Capitalism
      2. NCLB
      3. When all else fails, blame Charles Ramsey

      Really? Could it be that easy? None of the three are going anywhere soon, so what are our options? Take our marbles and go home? Pull our kids from public schools? Or do we engage to fix things? I chose the latter.

      We need to motivate students. The teacher excellence awards showed that we have extraordinary capacity in the district. How do we support and expand on their work?

      How do we empower school communities to find appropriate solutions tailored to local needs? Do we need the same curriculum in all schools, or simply the same expectations?

      What would stem the outflow of students? In my community, neighbor after neighbor moved to avoid Portola, many aiming for King Middle in Berkeley. Why can't we duplicate King's desirability?

      I'm completely exhausted with fruitless sniping charactering school discussions. On whole, we don't do a good job of educating the children of this community. Instead of getting defensive, it's time to look squarely at our performance. If you don't accept testing, propose other measures.

      Todd Groves
    • Norma J F Harrison
      Message 2 of 2 , May 26, 2011
        funny - motivate students...  when all the circumstances around school militate
        against their engagement.
        The best motivation would be, if school, teachers were permitted, to identify
        school as what it is and see what people would come up with for alternative
        living.
        Norma