Re: [wccusdtalk] Is this list dead? WCCUSD is!

  • Charles Rachlis
    Message 1 of 24 , May 24, 2011
      Am I still banned from the list? If not this will appear.
      Thank you Todd for posting what we already knew. The WCCUSD is not doing its
      job. The clown that runs the district for 1/4 million a year is not doing his
      job. His picture show at the board meetings is a bogus show and tell and a
      waste of the tax payers dollars. Our administration has nothing to offer the
      black and brown youth in our community and we need to secure education for these
      youth.

      The only way to do it is for the parents, students and employees of the district
      to shut down the schools in an open ended strike until we secure educational
      resources for our youth equal to that which Obama provides to his kids.

      Solidarity,

      Charles Rachlis
      "The working class and the employing class have nothing in common."
      IWW founding congress opening statement

      Message 2 of 24 , May 25, 2011
        A better conversation would be about the meaning of education and how "real
        education" would impact the community. Right now education seems to be on the
        retention of facts and test taking skills, both important, but far from what I
        would consider a measurement of education.

        Eduardo

        ________________________________
        From: Eduardo Martinez <ezedmartin@...>
        To: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tuesday, May 24, 2011, 5:41 PM

        If what we are concerned about is whether or not our students are good test
        takers, then this study is something to be concerned about. It may be accurate
        in terms of data, but it has no meaning other than what API scores would reveal.

        In statistical studies, the meaning is in the questions and often the answers
        found in the data have nothing to do with what is actually going on in real
        life. Carrie Hahnel, director of policy and research at Ed Trust and a
        co-author of the study said, "If nothing else, we'd be delighted if this is a
        conversation starter." I would say that this is nothing more that a
        conversation starter.

        Eduardo

        ________________________________
        Did anyone read the headlines yesterday?
        http://www.contracostatimes.com/education/ci_18107724?nclick_check=1 . Surely,
        we can't be THAT BAD.

        OMG, have we all just given up? What does the report mean? Is it accurate? Does
        anyone have a clue?

        Does the report reflect what you are seeing in your schools? If it does, what do

        we do about it? If not this forum, where do we take this?

        Todd Groves

      • Norma J F Harrison
        Message 3 of 24 , May 25, 2011
          Yes, as the people who help create your subjugation demand, don't be angry.
          Call it by all these names to discredit the fury at the unjust treatment we
          peons suffer.  Smile.  That'll work.  Better yet, pray.  That's also good for
          nothing - except of course that by self-delusion a person feels better for doing
          that.
          People's constructive suggestions were rendered and not done.  There is no
          'fixing' of school.  School is a central element in the capitalist structure,
          creating the variously strata-ed people to provide The Rich their riches.
          Norma

          ________________________________
          From: c slamon cslamon@... To: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com Sent: Wed, May
          25, 2011 9:24:47 AM Subject: Re: [wccusdtalk] Is this list dead?

          Todd,
          Unfortunately, I think this list is dead!  It seems to me that it just contains
          a bunch of people who want to vent and rant, many of them parents
          from decades ago still holding grudges.  I am determined not to become bitter
          like them and have tried to do what I was taught as a kid;  if
          you don't have anything nice (or constructive) to say, then keep it zipped!

          On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Todd Groves <tag1022@...> wrote:>>> Did
          anyone read the headlines yesterday?>
          http://www.contracostatimes.com/education/ci_18107724?nclick_check=1  .
          > Surely, we can't be THAT BAD.
          >
          > OMG, have we all just given up? What does the report mean? Is it accurate?
          > Does anyone have a clue?
          >
          > Does the report reflect what you are seeing in your schools? If it does,
          > what do we do about it? If not this forum, where do we take this?
          >
          > Todd Groves>> >

        • Todd Groves
          Message 4 of 24 , May 25, 2011
            The report had us as the very last of California's 146 large districts on multiple measures. We can discount test taking, but many of our kids have fundamental deficiencies in math and writing, both of which we should agree constitute "real education."

            If not in an academy, many of our kids come out without skills. Hopefully, community colleges and trade schools will patch them up, but our kids are in big trouble. The kids currently in high school were the first raised entirely in test crazy schools, and the first surrounded by distracting technology.

            Many of us are doing all we can to spark interest in these young minds. How do we motivate kids to attend to studies? Do we raise the bar on expectations? If we raise the bar, will that only cause them to fall farther, ala Algebra for all 8th grade students.

            If not the tests, how do we assess to see what kids know? How can we achieve rigor at the individual student level. Extend the school year? Afterschool and Saturday school for kids falling behind?

            The report, if only marginally true, speaks to a grave condition. In middle and high school, students seem to lack a basic motivation. We need to find new solutions now.

            Todd Groves

            --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Eduardo Martinez <ezedmartin@...> wrote:

            > A better conversation would be about the meaning of education and how "real
            > education" would impact the community. Right now education seems to be on the
            > retention of facts and test taking skills, both important, but far from what I
            > would consider a measurement of education.
            >
            > Eduardo
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Norma J F Harrison
            Message 5 of 24 , May 25, 2011
              children.
              kids = devil-may-care.  kick-up-your-heels.  the happiest time of your life.
              What impositions to put on people who are as or more besieged as  - than we
              adults are...
              students, young people.
              Norma
              ________________________________
              From: Todd Groves tag1022@... To: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com Sent: Wed,
              May 25, 2011 8:35:43 PM Subject: [wccusdtalk] Re: Is this list dead?

              Message 6 of 24 , May 26, 2011
                You do not need new solutions. The solution is in the past. Education is not a magical, mystical, elusive idea. If we could send a man to the moon with little more than a slide rule and and a dream, we can teach third graders their times tables and how to read Dick and Jane books. One problem with education is we adults like to make it complicated, some to keep their jobs others to become consultants and have perpetual income.
                If you teach a child to think and read you have created a lifelong learner. If you tell a child they can't think or read or do not give them the opportunity you have created a life long dependent, just the way the powers to be want it, so they have perpetual power. Think about it if you still can.

                To: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com
                From: tag1022@...
                Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 03:35:43 +0000
                Subject: [wccusdtalk] Re: Is this list dead?

              • playeredu@cs.com
                Message 7 of 24 , May 26, 2011
                  These comments by Laura are certainly refreshing....Also, I think we need to get more volunteers into the elementary schools to encourage reading before 4th grade. Read Aloud is wonderful, but only at 5 schools and can only handle a small number of early primary students that are recommended by teachers to the program. A Delta Kappa Gamma chapter has been doing a Birthday Book project at Grant elementary for first and second grade students, but there is no one on one time provided in this program. My El Cerrito Soroptimist group will start reading to the Kindergarten students next Fall at Grant...Depending on Volunteers and Teacher wishes, the program can be in small groups or one on one.....Both of these programs at Grant give away books to the students....on their Special Day during the year....including summer birthdays in May.....I think there are professional and retired groups that could be recruited, but the Volunteer ID process is too costly and time consuming....At Grant we use recently retired teachers so they have their TB and ID badges....Just a few ideas to get members of this talk program thinking.

                  Message 8 of 24 , May 26, 2011
                    The WriterCoach Connection project at ECHS and perhaps Portola this Fall will need scores of new coaches. We want to give every 9th Grade student personal guidance through the writing process. By establishing personal connections with a supportive adult, students will know the community supports their learning. You can sign-up by registering here http://www.writercoachconnection.org .

                    We need to make volunteering much easier while preserving student safety. Can we use local police departments to do the background checks? Would Kaiser consider covering TB clearances? Can the board promote volunteering in our growing numbers of projects?

                    The board and upper leadership can empanel a WCCUSD volunteer commission to drive the issue. We need this now to meet the need this Fall.

                    Todd Groves

                    --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, playeredu@... wrote:

                    > These comments by Laura are certainly refreshing....Also, I think we need to get more volunteers into the elementary schools to encourage reading before 4th grade. Read Aloud is wonderful, but only at 5 schools and can only handle a small number of early primary students that are recommended by teachers to the program. A Delta Kappa Gamma chapter has been doing a Birthday Book project at Grant elementary for first and second grade students, but there is no one on one time provided in this program. My El Cerrito Soroptimist group will start reading to the Kindergarten students next Fall at Grant...Depending on Volunteers and Teacher wishes, the program can be in small groups or one on one.....Both of these programs at Grant give away books to the students....on their Special Day during the year....including summer birthdays in May.....I think there are professional and retired groups that could be recruited, but the Volunteer ID process is too costly and time consuming....At Grant we use recently retired teachers so they have their TB and ID badges....Just a few ideas to get members of this talk program thinking.

                  • Norma J F Harrison
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 26, 2011
                      While well-off to Rich children are (I only suspect) getting better services
                      than poor/er children, the situation is that with few exceptions no one is being
                      well served by school. The opposite, in fact.
                      Yes, it's been a problem to be sure that school become what it started out to
                      be, a tool to ready workers to slave for our Owners.  There had been a bit of a
                      glitch for a while, with white children, Jewish, for one, or rich - another
                      group, Catholics in Catholic school, getting a bit better training than the
                      rest.  But that all got equalized when Black children became more a part of the
                      student population.  That was really frightening for our Owners.

                      Struggles for justice depend on community, usually the actual source of
                      knowledge, study, information. If that were to expand by including more and more
                      people/communities, students, it'd be a serious problem for those bosses -
                      owners.  So school went from being an intolerable enclosure of students,
                      offering a rare good experience, to an increasingly boring, stifling oppression.
                      Teachers have been being blamed for that.
                      You know all the reasons that's not why.
                      School horror is not going to be permitted to do any but get even worse.

                      Norma

                      ________________________________
                      From: Todd Groves tag1022@... To: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com Sent: Thu,
                      May 26, 2011 4:16:55 PM Subject: [wccusdtalk] Re: Is this list dead?

                    • Norma J F Harrison
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 27, 2011
                        You get more and more horrid -
                        Children are people! Children think!!!!
                        When you say teach anyone to think you're just saying, make a person toe the
                        line set by you, or the state or such.
                        It is so wrong !!!!  to say teach anyone to think!  And 'teaching to read' would
                        be just as much part of life as learning to talk, left to our own living, left
                        to just get along.
                        Anti-human need and desire - our Owners' control of our lives -  gets in the way
                        of just living.  So these institutions can come in and rob us of our lives,
                        taking over what would otherwise just be what we do.
                        A big project is made of learning to read; creates jobs, creates authority,
                        strata of control.
                        That you can't see that school is not education is our Owners' success at mind
                        control.
                        Norma

                        ________________________________

                        You do not need new solutions. The solution is in the past. Education is not a
                        magical, mystical, elusive idea. If we could send a man to the moon with little
                        more than a slide rule and and a dream, we can teach third graders their times
                        tables and how to read Dick and Jane books. One problem with education is we
                        adults like to make it complicated, some to keep their jobs others to become
                        consultants and have perpetual income.
                        If you teach a child to think and read you have created a lifelong learner. If
                        you tell a child they can't think or read or do not give them the opportunity
                        you have created a life long dependent, just the way the powers to be want it,
                        so they have perpetual power. Think about it if you still can.

                        To: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com   From: tag1022@...  Date: Thu, 26 May 2011
                        03:35:43 +0000 Subject: [wccusdtalk] Re: Is this list dead?

                        From: Kevin Rivard kfrivard@...  To: h h
                        wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com Sent: Thu, May 26, 2011 3:57:08 AM Subject: RE:

                        Message 11 of 24 , May 27, 2011
                          We need to expand the decision-making capacity at the district level. Believe it or not, we just don't have enough people at the upper levels for our top down management style. The need to comply consumes far too much meeting time, leaving little for innovation and development. What about partnering with municipalities to adapt schools to local needs? We do it with SRO's, are other partnerships possible?

                          WCCUSD is an unorthodox structure requiring unorthodox approaches. How about an advisory board for each High School service area, like a Super SSC. Our most persistent problems cannot be resolved at either the school or district level, and the ED structures seem to be more about getting paper pushed on time than innovating. Save all the money dropped on consultants, and give our master teachers special assignment to resolve the most difficult instructional issues. It's the only way to resolve the deep problems.

                          We need a serious partnership with all parties on addressing our most at-risk kids. We can pass these kids from school to school, but it's counterproductive. Richmond PD is instituting a new approach, focusing on single families most likely to generate trouble. Schools have to be part of the solution.

                          Our kids have been lulled into thinking that entourage member can be a career goal. The academies are wonderful at instilling job skills, but career exposure must start happening in junior high.

                          With a little more effort and a lot more forethought, our schools can rapidly fulfill their potential. For many in our community, schools must be transformative to escape a bleak future. We are close, but need to do much more.

                          Message 12 of 24 , May 27, 2011
                            children, students. Nicer ways to talk about our people in school.  diminishes
                            them.  like 'ladies'.
                            Norma....

                            Message 13 of 24 , May 29, 2011
                              Many of the ideas outlined by us presuppose a certain purpose for education
                              assuming that we all are in agreement with that purpose without spelling out
                              what that purpose might be. I think we need to define what we believe education
                              to be and from that establish what actions might get us there. Then we need to
                              figure out the best way to evaluate the results; I say evaluate and not measure
                              because some of the most valuable aspects of education cannot be measured:
                              social skills, compassion, creativity, community awareness, etc. We are too
                              tided into measuring results as if we are working with innate objects that will
                              react to the same stimuli over and over. Teaching is a dynamic and creative
                              process and the best teachers are the more creative ones with strong social
                              skills and a fearlessness that prevents them from being tied down by
                              convention.

                              I would like to share a video from TED:
                              http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1067760674856532262#
                              Out of Our Minds: Learning to be Creative by Sir Ken Robinson
                              There are several points that should be heard at: 8:40 where Sir Robinson speaks
                              about the hierarchy of education,
                              11:15 where he speaks to the industrialization of education and how this has led
                              to the belief that academic ability is what education is about,
                              13:15 where he defines intelligence as being diverse, dynamic and distinct and
                              how education needs to nurture these aspects in learning by addressing the many
                              styles of understanding our world, kinetically, visually, aurally, logically,
                              physically and intuitively,
                              18:00 where he uses a metaphor for how we teach and thereby get an idea of what
                              we are doing wrong.

                              For those of you who might not watch, I would like to share the story of Gillian
                              Lynn, the choreographer of CATS and other Broadway musicals. Because she was a
                              failure and behavior problem in school, the principal/councilor suggested to
                              Gillian's mother that she might have some neurological problems and might need
                              to see a doctor. At the doctor's office the mother shared all the graphs and
                              reports given to her by the school and told the doctor why she was concerned
                              while Gillian sat there on her hands to keep from moving around. After
                              listening, the doctor said he might be able to solve the problem, but that first
                              he needed to speak to Gillian privately. The doctor took her into a room with a
                              window, asked if she liked music, turned on the radio and excused himself. When
                              he approached Gillian's mother, he told her to watch Gillian as Gillian danced
                              about to the music. After watching Gillian dance for awhile, the doctor said,
                              "You don't have a problem, you have a dancer! Get her out of that school and put
                              her into a dance school". Gillian told Sir Robinson that when she stepped into
                              the first dance class she no longer felt like an outcast and learned that there
                              was a community who thought and felt like her. The school from which Gillian
                              was transferred could have been any of our schools where we identify all
                              students who need to move as having ADHD. This kind of identifing the strengths
                              of students requires an astute staff and even more importantly the will to find
                              the best avenue for each student instead of the efforts poured into pounding the
                              student into the square peg we have fashioned for him/her.

                              Eduardo

                              http://www.eduardomartinez4richmond.net/index.html

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 24 , May 29, 2011
                                Good teaching is a myth of the for-profit world.  If we can see that the places
                                to be are where people want to be, not where the profit-loaded system requires,
                                we can begin to grasp the huge deformity we're up against, and work to change
                                it.  Picture a four year old wandering into a shop in which wooden or mixed
                                material objects are being made.  What a bunch of teaching goes on there! And
                                learning, for that's what happens when teaching is real and not this hold over
                                the participants, 'teachers' and students alike.
                                And picture the 10 or 20 or 50 year old 'wandering' into a research lab .... or
                                onto a farm - small farm must become the norm...  or into the yard to play with
                                people   ....etc.
                                WE ARE ALL ALWAYS CREATIVE!!!  Your requirement of creative is not the only
                                creative.  Your requirement though, is structurally abusive to us mass,
                                insulting, dismissive, disagreeing -

                                And THAT's exaCTly what school is!
                                Norma

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 24 , May 29, 2011
                                  Eduardo,

                                  At the risk of once again being lumped in with those that can't see the forest from the trees, so to speak, when it comes to education I would like to say I agree with your post.

                                  We need to define what we want for our kids through their education.

                                  We had three kids. It took my wife longer than I to want to pull our kids out of the "normal" schooling this district offers most kids. Her epiphany came at Adams Middle School when our fourth child then in 6th grade was getting A's and B's but could not read at a third grade level or do basic math. This was in a family that was active in SSC;s PTA's and had three previous kids go through the system, at that time, to the 9th grade level. When we had a conference with five of her six teachers and they just looked at us with the deer in the headlight look and asked what is the problem.

                                  My wife and I walked out of the meeting and immediately started steps to get our three daughters 6th, 7th and 8th graders at Adams into Independent study.

                                  We continued going to board meetings, SSC and PTA meeting trying to make a difference for other kids. We took care of our own, brought them all up to speed and they are now all doing well with familys of their own.

                                  We did not stop caring for the other kids but we finally realized that there really are few individuals willing to take the time for kids and stick to it. The administrations. . . .

                                  I don't know, I am going to stop because someone is just going to misconstrue what I am saying and my wife and I put 20 years into this district and most of what we got was grief and even now, from those who are currently trying to create change, just want to label us as haters.

                                  Good luck on trying to do good for the kids. I hope you have more stamina than my wife and I had.

                                  To: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com

                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 30, 2011
                                    I often agree with you, but at times I have difficulty understanding exactly
                                    where you're coming from. For instance, you say, "Good teaching is a myth of
                                    the for-profit world." Does this imply that there is no good teaching or that
                                    there is no teaching? And in making such a statement, can you define what you
                                    mean by "teaching"? (By the way, I made no mention of good teaching... but if
                                    I were to do so, the definition would include authentic relationships in which
                                    all participants engage in understanding "reality".) I also am curious about
                                    your definition of CREATIVE!!! Does your definition include the thoughts that
                                    one has after waking up while staring at the ceiling? I sense that you are
                                    reading more into what I wrote than what I intended. I would appreciate knowing
                                    how what I wrote is "structurally abusive to us mass", how it is "insulting" and
                                    "dismissive". (Again, I don't see how you get that I was defining "the creative
                                    process". I was explaining the various modes of experiencing that needs to be
                                    considered " by addressing the many styles of understanding our world,
                                    kinetically, visually, aurally, logically, physically and intuitively". If
                                    there are any other modes that I missed, I would certainly like to become aware
                                    of them.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 30, 2011
                                      They've taken another element of our lives and commodified it, stood it out
                                      there for all to worship, teaching.
                                      Teaching is a natural behavior.  We enjoy it.  It's a pleasure to share
                                      knowledge, idea, skill, questions and proposed answers.  But those are now made
                                      into the horror that school is, put forward by 'the teacher'.  While it's
                                      reasonable for there to be 'the dentist', the carpenter - although that's more
                                      readily modifiable - many people can pick up carpentry on the shop floor/ the
                                      building site -

                                      Anyway, it's wholly unreasonable for there to be 'the teacher'.  We're all
                                      teachers - and students - all our lives.  That that doesn't fit into the profit
                                      system - we have to be at 'work' so many hours a day in order to get paid so we
                                      can but our stuff from the people who own the company - The Rich, for whom we
                                      work -  that the natural part of relationships isn't teaching is reprehensible.
                                      Let's hate it!

                                      All our work - civil maintenance, housekeeping, - all of it fits supplying
                                      workers to enrich our Owners.
                                      We are alienated  from being able to enjoy many ways of 'working', work having
                                      become a hated feature for a number of reasons.

                                      But the fact is we do like to work - just not under these conditions.  We also
                                      like to play - and don't get enough opportunity to enjoy that.

                                      “a schoolmaster is a productive labourer when, in addition to belabouring the
                                      heads of his scholars, he works like a horse to enrich the school proprietor.
                                      That the latter has laid out his capital in a teaching factory, instead of in a
                                      sausage factory, does not alter the relation.” Marx

                                      so?....    Norma