Fw: [LiteracyForAll] Response to Bill Gates

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2011
      http://www.eduardomartinez4richmond.net/index.html

      the next best thing to playin' and winnin'
      is playin' and losin'
      from "The Lucky One" - Robert Lee Castleman

      Sent to the Washington Post, Feb 28, 2011

      To the editor:

      Bill Gates proclaims that "other countries have raced ahead" of the US in
      education, and in order to catch up, our teachers must improve ("How teacher
      development could revolutionize our schools," Feb. 28). The premise is false:
      American education has been successful. The problem is poverty.

      American students from well-funded schools who come from middle-class families
      outscore students in nearly all other countries on international tests. Our
      average scores are not spectacular because the US has the highest percentage of
      children in poverty of all industrialized countries (over 20%; in contrast,
      high-scoring Finland has less than 4%).

      All educators are interested in improving teaching quality, but there is no
      national crisis in teaching quality. Our first step should be to protect
      children from the damaging effects of poverty: better nutrition (Susan Ohanian
      suggests the motto "No Child Left Unfed"), excellent health care for all
      children, and universal access to reading material. The best teaching in the
      world is useless when students are hungry, sick, and have little or nothing to
      read.

      Stephen Krashen

      Some sources:

      American students in well-funded schools …

      Berliner, D. The Context for Interpreting PISA Results in the USA: Negativism,
      Chauvinism, Misunderstanding, and the Potential to Distort the
      Educational Systems of Nations. In Pereyra, M., Kottoff, H-G., & Cowan, R.
      (Eds.). PISA under examination: Changing knowledge, changing tests, and changing
      schools.

      Amsterdam: Sense Publishers. In press.

      Bracey, G. 2009. Education Hell: Rhetoric vs. Reality. Educational Research
      Service

      Payne, K. and Biddle, B. 1999. Poor school funding, child poverty, and
      mathematics

      achievement. Educational Researcher 28 (6): 4-13.

      Poverty and hunger, health and access to books:

      Berliner, D. 2009. Poverty and Potential: Out-of-School Factors and School
      Success. Boulder and Tempe: Education and the Public Interest Center &
      Education Policy Research Unit.
      http://epicpolicy.org/publication/poverty-and-potential

      Krashen, S. 1997. Bridging inequity with books. Educational Leadership 55(4):
      18-22.

      Martin, M. 2004. A strange ignorance: The role of lead poisoning in “failing
      schools.” http://www.azsba.org/lead.htm.

      How teacher development could revolutionize our schools
      By Bill Gates
      Monday, February 28, 2011;
      As the nation's governors gather in Washington for their annual meeting, they
      are grappling with more than state budget deficits. They're confronting deep
      education deficits as well.

      Over the past four decades, the per-student cost of running our K-12 schools has
      more than doubled, while our student achievement has remained virtually flat.
      Meanwhile, other countries have raced ahead. The same pattern holds for higher
      education. Spending has climbed, but our percentage of college graduates has
      dropped compared with other countries.

      To build a dynamic 21st-century economy and offer every American a high-quality
      education, we need to flip the curve. For more than 30 years, spending has risen
      while performance stayed relatively flat. Now we need to raise performance
      without spending a lot more.

      When you need more achievement for less money, you have to change the way you
      spend. This year, the governors are launching "Complete to Compete," a program
      to help colleges get more value for the money they spend. It will develop
      metrics to show which colleges graduate more students for less money, so we can
      see what works and what doesn't.

      In K-12, we know more about what works.
      We know that of all the variables under a school's control, the single most
      decisive factor in student achievement is excellent teaching. It is astonishing
      what great teachers can do for their students.

      Yet compared with the countries that outperform us in education, we do very
      little to measure, develop and reward excellent teaching. We have been expecting
      teachers to be effective without giving them feedback and training.

      To flip the curve, we have to identify great teachers, find out what makes them
      so effective and transfer those skills to others so more students can enjoy top
      teachers and high achievement.

      To this end, our foundation is working with nearly 3,000 teachers in seven urban
      school districts to develop fair and reliable measures of teacher effectiveness
      that are tied to gains in student achievement. Research teams are analyzing
      videos of more than 13,000 lessons - focusing on classes that showed big student
      gains so it can be understood how the teachers did it. At the same time,
      teachers are watching their own videos to see what they need to do to improve
      their practice.

      Our goal is a new approach to development and evaluation that teachers endorse
      and that helps all teachers improve.

      The value of measuring effectiveness is clear when you compare teachers to
      members of other professions - farmers, engineers, computer programmers, even
      athletes. These professionals are more advanced than their predecessors -
      because they have clear indicators of excellence, their success depends on
      performance and they eagerly learn from the best.

      The same advances haven't been made in teaching because we haven't built a
      system to measure and promote excellence. Instead, we have poured money into
      proxies, things we hoped would have an impact on student achievement. The United
      States spends $50 billion a year on automatic salary increases based on teacher
      seniority. It's reasonable to suppose that teachers who have served longer are
      more effective, but the evidence says that's not true. After the first few
      years, seniority seems to have no effect on student achievement.

      Another standard feature of school budgets is a bump in pay for advanced
      degrees. Such raises have almost no impact on achievement, but every year they
      cost $15 billion that would help students more if spent in other ways.

      Perhaps the most expensive assumption embedded in school budgets - and one of
      the most unchallenged - is the view that reducing class size is the best way to
      improve student achievement. This belief has driven school budget increases for
      more than 50 years. U.S. schools have almost twice as many teachers per student
      as they did in 1960, yet achievement is roughly the same.

      What should policymakers do? One approach is to get more students in front of
      top teachers by identifying the top 25 percent of teachers and asking them to
      take on four or five more students. Part of the savings could then be used to
      give the top teachers a raise. (In a 2008 survey funded by the Gates Foundation,
      83 percent of teachers said they would be happy to teach more students for more
      pay.) The rest of the savings could go toward improving teacher support and
      evaluation systems, to help more teachers become great.

      Compared with other countries, America has spent more and achieved less. If
      there's any good news in that, it's that we've had a chance to see what works
      and what doesn't. That sets the stage for a big change that everyone knows we
      need: building exceptional teacher personnel systems that identify great
      teaching, reward it and help every teacher get better.

      It's the thing we've been missing, and it can turn our schools around.
      The writer is co-chair of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

    • Todd Groves
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2011
        Here is another view on the subject or poverty and education.

        http://www.prospect.org/cs/articles?article=is_education_the_cure_for_poverty

        Instructional quality has been a huge problem in my kids' schools, and the problem only seems to grow. Yet teachers didn't choose the curriculum, were punished for disputing its effectiveness, were lorded over by imperious supervisors, were powerless to change any aspect of the school outside their classrooms, and coerced to following dubious scripts within them. This dis-empowerment results in complacent despair, and an unwillingness to collectively problem-solve.

        WCCUSD instructional quality declined precipitously after NCLB. Having one child pre and one post-NCLB, we had the same teachers but vastly different classroom experiences. The scripted curriculum devastated learning for a good number of kids now in middle and high school, but they did OK on elementary CST's. They were grossly unprepared for higher level thinking demanded by upper grades.

        Although our past boards and administrators are mostly responsible for the problems we currently face, we have a fair number of ineffective teachers, many of them tenured. Their colleagues know very well who they are. Perhaps teachers themselves should be the ones to ferret out weaker faculty? It's done in Montgomery County, Maryland and Toledo, Ohio. We need the highest quality instruction to break the cycles of poverty.

        In order of priority, these are the fixes I think we need. What are your ideas? We need some new ideas and desperately.

        Bottom-up evaluations and problem solving. Site Councils need tools to objectively evaluate school functioning. Our current Site Plans are useless for the most part. Bissell chooses our textbooks/curriculum and writes most parts of our plans. It's then sent to SSC's for rubber stamping. Why even bother? Bissell or the principal has already decided a "research-based" course of action, until it fails and we then implement the next flavor of the month.

        Bottom up administrator evaluations. Check out this Principal Evaluation Rubric http://www.thirdmilegroup.com/resources/Sample+Prin+Eval+Rubrics+Jan+10.pdf . How does your principal stack up in this rubric?

        Better teacher evaluations. The article below insists we have no crisis in teacher quality. How do we know if we can't measure individual teacher performance? Here is an evaluation tool for rating teacher evaluation schemes
        http://tntp.org/files/TNTP_RatingATeacherObservationTool_Feb2011.pdf
        . Now read the UTR Contract Evaluation sections, http://www.wccusd.net/Human%20Resource%20Information/HR%20Forms/FINAL_UTRContrac%202009-2012-8.4.10.pdf Article 15 and Appendix J. I don't see rigorous evaluation of teacher performance, but rather a system that seems incomplete, subjective and pro forma. If you have a dispute with your principal, you might likely get a low ranking. Why shy away from objective systems, which might enhance job security for effective yet outspoken teachers?

        The only way to avoid having solutions imposed on us is to create better ones ourselves.

        Todd Groves

        --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Eduardo Martinez <ezedmartin@...> wrote:

        > http://www.eduardomartinez4richmond.net/index.html
        >

        > the next best thing to playin' and winnin'
        > is playin' and losin'
        > from "The Lucky One" - Robert Lee Castleman

      • SCOTTIE SCOTTIE
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2011
          Todd:

          As to Montgomery County Maryland, one has to understand that the school system
          is County wide and divided into areas, where each area has a representative on
          the Board. From the Superintendent's office on down there is an advisory
          committee, made up of representatives from each area. Therefore, the parents
          have an opportunity to compare what the schools in each area have and are doing
          to improve the achievement of the students and can advocate for equity and get
          it. Plus, as you know, MC is a very wealthy county and the involvement is
          outstanding. I started my advocacy there over 35 years ago, which involved the
          amount of money PTA could rise and how it was spent, as well as the disparity
          issues in terms of the inability to raise funds for some schools in MC,
          which allowed other school in the same county to afford more and leave others
          out, hence forth, the limitations of PTA fund raising.

          I also co-chair the parent involvement committee and with the help of Supt.
          office instituted a county wide parent committee and parent information and
          training center. There was law suites against the county for the lack of
          implementation of equity in many areas, from HS exit exams, teachers and funds,
          as well as special education programs and services to state a few. The major
          force in MC was and is the economical status of many of the families, therefore,
          with the structures of the areas and representation, it was much easier to force
          accountability in the majority of the schools.

          There is much I could say about MC, but, mainly, it is the abilities of the
          parents that has forced the administration to implement practices
          that enable teachers and parents to work as a team. That said, I was surprise to
          see that the WCCUSD has now revisited the DAC, but from my perspective, the
          people involved as representative have little knowledge about why the District
          dismantle the previous DAC or the history of a Title I DAC. If implemented
          properly, with the complete knowledge of what the Title I DAC is supposed to do,
          it could play a very power role in the educational decisions for Title I
          students, but just listening the other night, when the parent came in and said
          that her principal told her to come to the meeting and she did not know what it
          was all about, yet she had voted to approve the By-Laws, etc. without knowledge,
          speaks volumes to the effectiveness of this DAC.

          The above said, the SSC are only as strong as the knowledge they have about
          their roles and responsibilities and their independence to represent.  Scottie
          Smith

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3, 2011
            Great points as always , Scottie.

            MC is a world apart from WCCUSD. As a DC bedroom community, MC is home to many that intimately know federal regulations and how they are meant to work. We must have similar expertise throughout our community. How do we coalesce it?

            Perhaps guerrilla Site Council Parent Rep trainings are in order? A parent advocacy group apart from the district? WCCUSD SSC's are pointless organs -like an appendix- that exist solely for compliance. Also like an appendix, who would notice if SSC's were removed.

            We should be able to distill essential Site Council choices into approachable forms. SSC members could use standard assessments to gauge site functioning, and have a menu of potential options. The school data we get doesn't tell us if messages are getting home, or if the principal is on a power trip, or if phones are left ringing. Surveys certainly could.

            We need all the help we can get. Empowering Site Councils will be a great start.

            Todd Groves