Lacking preparation, many 8th-graders fail algebra

  • Todd Groves
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2011
      An insightful report on the phenomena we see daily in middle and high school. We have a good number of kids the repeat Algebra from grade 8-12, often with declining performance.

      This is an illustrative example of a politically-driven school initiative's dislocation from reality. If we set expectations high, we simply let the kids far farther. We need an Algebra skills prep class for 8 and 9. Several successful teacher led initiatives have been attempted, yet were scrapped to meet this mandate. It hasn't worked for a large swathe of kids. We need to examine the effect of this policy in practice.

      http://californiawatch.org/dailyreport/lacking-preparation-many-8th-graders-fail-algebra-8760

      Todd Groves