Knives at Portola MS

  • reducingandreusing
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 10, 2011
      This week a student at Portola had a knife brandished at him by another student. This occurred in the p.e. locker room. The student's parent discussed the incident with Ms. Van Hook, who said yet another student had also brought a knife to school.

      The student's parent said, "Mrs. Van Hook is encouraging anyone who has had an incident in PE to file a complaint as they may try and take away some site supervisors."

      I'm told that the consequences to the student with the knife was a one-day suspension.
    • Tony Sustak & Margaret G. Browne
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 10, 2011
        One-day suspension for a student with a weapon at the school site? You
        should check the

        District policy regarding weapons. As I recall when I was teaching, there
        was a no tolerance policy about weapons. When I was at Kennedy, a student in
        my class who brought, what a site supervisor thought was a weapon, was
        immediately removed from class and suspended pending an administrative
        hearing for expulsion. As I recall, the "weapon" was a baseball-like wooden
        stick with a chain attached. The student said that he carried this thing
        with him when he walked his dog. He said that he had thoughtlessly brought
        it to school and had no intention of harming anyone.

        As I was told, he explained this at the hearing and was placed on probation
        for a semester; Sylvester Greenwood was the person in charge of
        administrative (expulsion) hearings at that time. I'm relating this because
        brandishing a weapon used to be an offense for which a student could be
        expelled. I also recall a student who was expelled because she used mace ( a
        weapon) on another student in a fight. Brandishing a knife at a student
        requires more than a complaint about the loss of site supervisors. Students'
        safety is the issue here; again check the District's policy on weapons.

        Margaret Browne

        Retired

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 10, 2011
          It turns out that the knife in question was a gift to a teacher. Sounds like a strange thing for a student to give as a gift.....

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 12, 2011
            The question remains, did a student threaten another student with a knife?
            The gift explanation sounds strange to me.

            Margaret Browne

            --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com <mailto:wccusdtalk%40yahoogroups.com> ,