Articles about supporting students

  • Todd Groves
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2011
      Gunn High School in the South Bay had a horrific problem with teen suicide, and found the following solution http://www.baycitizen.org/education/story/after-five-suicides-students-counsel/. Middle and High Schools face epic numbers of stressed students coupled with an imploding infrastructure to support them.

      In many WCCUSD schools, counselors have become the primary disciplinarians. To what degree does this interfere with helping troubled students? Can you punish a student in one moment and uplift them in another? It seems like a contradictory role.

      Through the WriterCoach Connection program at El Cerrito High http://www.contracostatimes.com/education/ci_16976815?nclick_check=1 (thanks for the great article Shelly!), coaches hear much about student troubles when working on writing assignments. It just pours out of them. This listening may be the most valuable aspect of our program.

      Kennedy and Portola both explore implementing WriterCoach programs on their campuses. Richmond High and Leadership teachers also are interested. We will need many more coaches to support these schools. Our next round of trainings will happen at the end of January and beginning of February. You can go to the www.writercoachconnection.org for details. If you would like to help build the program in WCCUSD, please email volunteer.ecwcc@...

      Adolescence just seems more stressful than ever, while the family, community and school supports are thinner than ever. Every small step supporting students will help. We need a virtual ecosystem of options to meet the far ranging needs present in our students. Help develop existing programs or work to create new ones. Beg, borrow or steal every good idea you can find.

      Todd Groves