Re: Oakland, San Francisco schools failing students

  • Todd Groves
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 18, 2010
      The central issue facing these districts and ours is whether the educational qualities sought by mobile families and the needs of under-performing students are exclusive. If they are, which should be favored? If they aren't, how do we meaningfully provide for both groups?

      Throughout American history, our governing class drew mostly from public school. Oakland and LA Unified sent huge numbers to our courts and legislature. How likely will this be for our youthful generation?
      Working with dozens of students individually, the capability gap between those educated in private and public school seems to keep growing. Students entering our pubic system from private school are often years ahead in writing, research and thinking skills, which mean far more than any CST score.

      Can public schools outside Piedmont and Danville match the quality of private school. We definitely have the numbers of bright kids from all backgrounds to achieve this. AP and IB are over-hyped brands that promote an intellectual version of binge and purge. The most sought after course at ECHS is not some transcript polishing AP, it's an elective on WWII with no advanced cache. The most important thing we can do is help a kid find their intellectual niche and feed it. Once they are hooked, they are more willing to submit to the drudgery of acquiring the needed skills.

      We could resolve to become the most nurturing, interesting district in the Bay Area. Such a district would be truly equitable, providing many niches for students to explore interests instead of providing a uniform product that bores most to tears.

      Todd Groves