Oakland, San Francisco schools failing students

  • Todd Groves
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 17, 2010
      When it comes to the public schools, Bay Area parents rarely illustrate the strident, progressive beliefs they apply to most political and social issues.

      The phrase limousine liberal is not complimentary, but on this issue, it's a glove that fits a little too well.

      Because whether it's fueled by economic privilege or simply a matter of choice, the rate at which Bay Area parents, regardless of ethnicity, send their children to private schools has historically been higher than most other places in the country, say researchers who have studied the issue.

      Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/12/16/BAR01GRQ3U.DTL#ixzz18PEE6aRH

      http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/johnson
    • Norma J F Harrison
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 17, 2010
        Funny - that parents, who preach the best for everyone , called progressive
        beliefs - like believing-in-God-beliefs? (which are insubstantial, while ours
        are of such substance that THEY're constantly fighting us) - would want some
        comfort for their children - comfort, maybe security, less opportunity to get
        bullied by the many bullies housed in public school that the authorities are
        unable to control; would want a semblance of an education, although
        institutionalized instruction bears little resemblance to education.  Funny that
        yes?  NOT!

        And you get a clue about the tone of this article;
        "the strident, progressive beliefs they apply to most political and social
        issues."  Once again you're marginalized for wanting the right stuff.

        “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you
        win.”
        (I don't know about the last - given they have no qualms about killing us,
        starving us, etc.)
        But THEY sure don't ignore us.  They use every tool they can muster, and they
        can use them ALL! to repress and bully us into submission - into servitude on
        their plantation - our Masters, our Owners, with the aid of such as this in one
        of the few media left, our public airwaves for example being the route almost
        only for advertising so we'll buy THEIR junk.
        Norma

        Norma

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 18, 2010
          The central issue facing these districts and ours is whether the educational qualities sought by mobile families and the needs of under-performing students are exclusive. If they are, which should be favored? If they aren't, how do we meaningfully provide for both groups?

          Throughout American history, our governing class drew mostly from public school. Oakland and LA Unified sent huge numbers to our courts and legislature. How likely will this be for our youthful generation?
          Working with dozens of students individually, the capability gap between those educated in private and public school seems to keep growing. Students entering our pubic system from private school are often years ahead in writing, research and thinking skills, which mean far more than any CST score.

          Can public schools outside Piedmont and Danville match the quality of private school. We definitely have the numbers of bright kids from all backgrounds to achieve this. AP and IB are over-hyped brands that promote an intellectual version of binge and purge. The most sought after course at ECHS is not some transcript polishing AP, it's an elective on WWII with no advanced cache. The most important thing we can do is help a kid find their intellectual niche and feed it. Once they are hooked, they are more willing to submit to the drudgery of acquiring the needed skills.

          We could resolve to become the most nurturing, interesting district in the Bay Area. Such a district would be truly equitable, providing many niches for students to explore interests instead of providing a uniform product that bores most to tears.

          Todd Groves