NYT overview of tech effect on young minds

  • Todd Groves
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 21, 2010
      The Sunday NY Times http://is.gd/hxN8k offers a good overview of the phenomenon seen in our schools. Working with kids individually, we see a frightening number that can't pull information from sources like textbooks. Even kids with high CST's have great difficulty learning from written materials and direct instruction.

      Is textbook/lecture learning a dying skill? Is it essential? How do we know? Today's high school students were the first raised with internet, cell phones and scripted curricula, turning them into the largest social experiment in history. We've altered their neural pathways in unknowable ways, subtly reinforcing immediate gratification.

      Our kids are no more or less bright than before. They are more easily frustrated, less empathetic and more disengaged. What can we do differently?

      I would like to see WCCUSD focus on producing nice, compassionate healthy kids. No district in the country focuses on making better citizens. We would be the first. We will never compete with Albany and Berkeley in academics, but we certainly could produce healthier, more grounded and nicer students than them. Why not make it our goal?

      Todd Groves