Re: FW: [wccusdtalk] Corrections to Margaret's post

  • Todd Groves
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 28 9:48 AM

      Jason consistently speaks about IDEA Academy, of which he should be rightly proud. HE HIDES NOTHING, so please listen! IDEA started serving a very poor Latino community (90% low income) where students were being failed by the local public schools. Now 98% of the student graduating IDEA are now college ready. Whatever they did, shouldn't we look into it?

      You miss Jason's primary message. Elements that make charters high performing could be incorporated into non-charter WCCUSD schools. This is why he believes so strongly in school site empowerment. You can't argue with the results. It's this idea that attracted me to his campaign in the first place.

      As far as those who gave Jason money, make what you want of these donations. According to David Brooks, it doesn't matter. Mr. Jungherr contributed to another candidate, yet you refrain from drawing conclusions about anyone but Jason. Campaign donors above $100 are required to report their job title and employer. We followed the law and obtained this information. If you don't agree with how the donors represented themselves, the issue is between you and them.

      Margaret, not everything is a conspiracy. If it were, I'd say we have a vast conspiracy right now in this district to deny our children their full potential and the right to an education. We conspire by accepting that this is the best we can do. We've had a decade of dis-empowering teachers, ignoring cries of concern about the failing curriculum, obtuse administration and imposed solutions. When a candidate openly vows to address this, teacher advocates go on the attack? This seems a real conspiracy, or just plain folly.

      We need to own that we, the adult community, are rendering these schools dysfunctional. No matter who gets on the board, it's time to halt dysfunction, challenge all standing assumptions and turn this place upside down to save this generation of kids. We are continually self-limiting by habit at this point. The district exists to serve the students interests, not the other way around.

      Todd Groves
      Treasurer, Freeman for School Board 2010