Re: [wccusdtalk] Re: Education Report: Federal appeals court rules that intern teachers aren't highly qualified

  • SCOTTIE SCOTTIE
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2010
      I agree with Todd, not every teacher with seniority is highly qualified, in
      fact, some have been so use to teaching a certain way or to a certain group,
      that they fail to understand the needs, culture, development and environment of
      the students, thereby, unable to relate in a way that improves education of all
      students.
       Scottie Smith

      ________________________________
      Tuesday, September 28, 2010
      (09-28) 19:05 PDT San Francisco, CA (AP) --

      A federal appeals court has ruled that California illegally classified
      interns as "highly qualified" teachers and assigned them to schools in
      low-income and minority areas.

      The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Monday in favor of low-income
      families from Richmond, Hayward and Los Angeles who claimed the state was
      dumping uncredentialed teachers on their schools.

      A Bush administration policy adopted by a California commission held that
      interns on track to receive teaching certification could count as "highly
      qualified."

      The court found that those policies violated the federal No Child Left
      Behind law, which requires teachers have full state certification to teach
      core subjects.

      "This is a tremendous victory for the millions of students across the
      country that are disproportionately taught every day by teachers with very
      little training," said John Affeldt, managing attorney at Public Advocates
      Inc., a public interest group representing the plaintiffs.

      Here is the link to the entire story