Fw: [LiteracyForAll] RTTT more harmful than BP oil gusher

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2010
      ----- Forwarded Message ----
      From: Joanne Yatvin <jyatvin@...>
      To: Literacy for All <LiteracyForAll@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thu, July 1, 2010 7:21:14 AM
      Subject: Re: [LiteracyForAll] RTTT more harmful than BP oil gusher

      Diane Ravitch is asking people to write to their congressmen to support David
      Obey's move to shift money from RTTT to help save teachers¹ jobs.

      Joanne

      > Susan Ohanian published a short, strong article on the Huffington Post:
      > http://www.huffingtonpost.com/susan-ohanian/back-to-basics-get-the-fe_b_630168
      > .html. It concludes with this:
      >
      > Prediction: In the long run, the money fountain at the U. S. Department of
      > Education will do more harm to our national well-being than the BP oil gusher.
      > The Obama/Duncan ramping up of the discredited Reading First, their co-opting
      > of state education policy through the bribery of Race to the Top and the other
      > initiatives that travel under the name of reform will put a generation of
      > children's public school lives in shambles as national standards and tests are
      > delivered by the truckload from corporate America, and test prep takes over
      > any pretense of curriculum.
      >
      > PS from SK: Among other things she commented on the US Dept of Education's
      > support for Reading First. I posted a comment.

    • Norma J F Harrison
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2010
        but this is all 'reform' is.
        The education institution is not about education.  You KNOW that.  There is no reform of a structure like this.
        In its service to our Owners it is more or less successful - although this, like THEIR other control efforts,  while it fulfills its overarching purpose, to control our paths in life, it certainly is not entirely comfortable for our Owners because of all the fuss it raises, the resistance it causes - which does not derive from the content of the courses.
        Likely it does derive from the lack of content - largely caused by the environment school is, as well as by the curricula, the texts, what's called the quality of the teaching.
        It's super difficult to be honest about the basic failure - well - not failure for our Owners - of a feature to which one has committed over time - like a marriage, (self)deceiving any party that it'll be ok when no way will it - or had it been.
        Our Owners get subservience - ignorance ...through the diseducative features, the many levels of training, of skills, so we do Their work, making Them Their profit, enforcing Their power.
        Norma

        From: Eduardo Martinez ezedmartin@...  To: wccusdforum@yahoogroups.com; wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com Sent: Thu, July 1, 2010 10:49:03 AM Subject: [wccusdtalk] Fw: [LiteracyForAll] RTTT more harmful than BP oil gusher
        ----- Forwarded Message ---- From: Joanne Yatvin <jyatvin@...> To: Literacy for All <LiteracyForAll@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thu, July 1, 2010 7:21:14 AM Subject: Re: [LiteracyForAll] RTTT more harmful than BP oil gusher