Re: [wccusdtalk] Re: Admin. Salary Cuts, Last Night's Board Meeting

  • Aukena@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2003
      Charley,
      If thissubject line is "a string", I did not receive the initial emails. Do
      you suppose something's wrong?
      Amy

    • morganlove2003
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2003
        Well that's interesting. Sounds like they're fudging when it comes
        to actual student head count in favor of demanding even less teachers
        (although they're still getting paid by the state for those 75 more
        students). And it sounds like your school is not overenrolled, but
        is enrolled at Mr. Rhea's projected enrollment.

        So what I get out of this is when it's convenient for Bissel to
        use "underenrollment" to justify getting rid of programs and teachers
        they will do so (regardless of what the actual head count is--even if
        there are more students). But when they want to use the head count
        issue to stick to formalities (as in the Barbara Alexander Academy
        charter school, when the Board was complaining about how their
        enrollment was only in the 60+% range [because of absenteeism], they
        bring up actual head count numbers and stick to the letter of the
        State mandate to shut that school down...

        Again, they massage numbers and facts to suit their own agenda!
        --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Marsha Williamson
        <mswilliamson@l...> wrote:
        > Dear Lori,
        > Thanks for the excellent summary of the first part of the board
        > meeting. I think I may have an answer to your question "How can
        these
        > same schools who are overenrolled compaired to last year have
        teachers
        > and programs cut?"
        > Here goes:
        > The 2003-2004 projected enrollments were based on an actual
        increase in
        > student enrollment compared to last year. So ECHS was at 1450 last
        > year, but its projected enrollment was about where it is, at 1525,
        > according to Vince Rhea. This is the dirty little secret. We are
        > supposed to carry on with business as usual with the same # of
        FTE's as
        > last year, but 75 more students. That additional enrollment would
        > require more than 2 additional FTE's based on last year's loading
        at the
        > site. Vince didn't say this-- it's my interpretation of what's
        going
        > on. If you remember last spring, there were significant cuts to
        > secondary teaching positions, so even if enrollment is the same as
        last
        > year, we are operating with fewer teaching positions from the get-
        go.
        > Marsha
        >
        > lori.berry@e... wrote:
        >

        > > Speaking of money cut from administration, we had to sit there
        last
        > > night at the board meeting and listen as the Board was making
        sure to
        > > crow about how the Board Cabinet members are working under the
        same
        > > salary as they had last year (no raise) and how they gave that up
        in
        > > the interest of the budget, and how, regarding staffing cuts at
        the
        > > schools, alluding that it was the fault of the teachers because
        the
        > > Cabinet and Board were only going by the contract numbers of how
        many
        > > students should be in each class and how many classes the teachers
        > > could teach. And every time a community member spoke to the
        Board and
> [...]
        > > get the proper information to the school board in a timely manner
        so
        > > that they can vote on what's on their agenda? Apparently on one
        item
        > > the information the Board needed to vote on last night had only
        > > arrived that evening and thankfully they agreed to table that
        item to
        > > another Board Meeting date. Wow, that's efficiency!
        > >
        > > It was wonderful to hear the eloquent pleas of people to at least
        keep
        > > El Cerrito's classes and teachers until January when their
        semester
        > > ends (and they can get 5 credits for their classes), and how they
        have
        > > no computer access or ability to check out library books--and have
        > > been enduring this for the last several weeks. At the same time
        > > downtown has had their internet access and computers restored
        shortly
        > > after the outage. Here we have seniors in high school (and
        especially
        > > those who cannot afford computers and internet access) who cannot
        send
        > > off their college applications and transcripts because of these
        > > outages; and seniors who need college credit for courses that are
        > > going to be reinstated only until November (and then what are they
        > > going to do with their needs of college-credit classes when they
        > > cannot get it before graduating)? The message they are given is
        that
        > > the Board and Administration feels it's more important to have the
        > > money and computer access for themselves than for the students
        they
        > > serve!
        > >
        > > Regarding the need to cut teachers in the first place and the
        issue of
        > > underenrollment, many people spoke to this asking why this was
        caused
        > > and who was responsible for setting these figures. Personally, I
        > > think it's true that many of our schools have more students
        enrolled
        > > this year than last year. Is it the same people estimating
        enrollment
        > > that underestimated enrollment last year at Pinole High? Did
        these
        > > people bother to listen to what the personnel in the schools told
        them
        > > about estimated enrollment? Of course, Dr. Johnston said she was
        > > going to be getting more information from other sources about why
        we
        > > are losing students (I wonder if any more consultants are going
        to be
        > > consulted about this)...but how can enrollment be more than last
        year
        > > in some schools, yet the schools be underenrolled? How can these
        same
        > > schools who are overenrolled compaired to last year have teachers

        Middle
        > a Modernization Project Rather Than a
        > Rebuild
        > >

        > > Barbara, Kevin - you are both SO right. This District has a
        history
        > > of
        > > overlooking the obvious. When the Oversight committee suggested
        > > moving the
        > > musical instruments from the elementary schools (where the music
        dept.
        > > has
        > > been cut) instead of purchasing new instruments for DeJean Middle,
        > > they were
        > > ignored.
        > > Not a penny has been cut from the administration salary or
        benefits,
        > > while
        > > teachers took a 2% pay cut, and Gloria Johnston got a raise larger
        > > than the
        > > salaries of new teachers. I won't even mention the gaggle of
        > > consultants
        > > being paid to "advise" the people we elected or hired to make
        those
        > > decisions.
        > > I have heard about the record-keeping, or lack of same, in the
        > > District.
        > > Perhaps the state audit in November will shed some light. I have
        > > concerns
        > > that the audit may not be as thorough as I'd like, seeing as it is
        > > authorized by the same decision-makers that traded these audits
        for
        > > making
        > > the District pay millions in fines for bad record-keeping. I can
        only

        > > wonder what Measure would have been drafted to pay those fines.
        > >
        > > What really concerns me about the new parcel tax is the "forever"
        > > status of
        > > it.
        > > We do not yet know how much the parcel tax will be, or how it
        will be
        > > written. I am aware that approx 80% of the MRAD (Maintenance and
        > > Recreation
        > > Assessment District) parcel tax that we currently pay is not
        being
        > > used for
        > > maintenance or recreation and is extended by the school board
        every
        > > year.
        > > We DO know that this proposed parcel tax will have no sunset
        clause -
        > > it
        > > will be paid by the taxpayers forever whether they need the money
        or
        > > not....and whether it is properly used or not.
        > >
        > > So far, I have no reason to support a parcel tax.

        Betty
        > > Boyle ;
        Pete
        > > Murray ;
        Kitchen
        > > ;
        > > Maggie
        > > Galloway ;
        > > Charley
        > > > Cowens
        > > Pricco ;
        > > > Sandi
        Kent
        > > Sichel ;
        McFarland ;
        > > David
        > > Jackson ;
        Brandt ;
        > > Mel
        > > > Collins
        > > ;
        > > dcsartini@c... ;
        Than a

        *****

        > > > **************************
        > > make it
        > > principal at
        > > > the
        > > per
        > > grade
        > > > at
        > > Don't
        > > > forget
        > > review
        > > how
        High. I
        > > will
        > > keep
        > > students who
        > > > drop
        > > private
        > > > school.
        > > we
        > > need
        > > at the
        > > school
        > > > when
        > > would
        > > be,
        > > > is
        > > Hercules
        > > their
        > > > 6th
        > > room
        > > on
        > > But
        > > this
        Pinole
        > > and
        > > doing
        > > > for
        > > population
        > > businesses
        > > school.

        6th.Let me
        > > know

        > > McAfee.
        > > > >

        > > _

        > > The information contained in this message may be privileged and
        > > confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this
        > > message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent
        > > responsible for delivering this message to the intended
        recipient, you
        > > are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
        copying of
        > > this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
        this
        > > communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying
        > > the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Ernst &
        > > Young LLP

      • morganlove2003
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2003
          And forgive the confusion...the State did not mandate that the school
          be shut down, the WCCUSD Board revoked their charter because of lack
          of enrollment in "promised" numbers.... Just threw the State in
          there because it is the State that pays the District for each child
          that attends public school.
          --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "morganlove2003"