Re: Admin. Salary Cuts, Last Night's Board Meeting

  • Marsha Williamson
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2003
      Dear Lori,
      Thanks for the excellent summary of the first part of the board
      meeting. I think I may have an answer to your question "How can these
      same schools who are overenrolled compaired to last year have teachers
      and programs cut?"
      Here goes:
      The 2003-2004 projected enrollments were based on an actual increase in
      student enrollment compared to last year. So ECHS was at 1450 last
      year, but its projected enrollment was about where it is, at 1525,
      according to Vince Rhea. This is the dirty little secret. We are
      supposed to carry on with business as usual with the same # of FTE's as
      last year, but 75 more students. That additional enrollment would
      require more than 2 additional FTE's based on last year's loading at the
      site. Vince didn't say this-- it's my interpretation of what's going
      on. If you remember last spring, there were significant cuts to
      secondary teaching positions, so even if enrollment is the same as last
      year, we are operating with fewer teaching positions from the get-go.
      Marsha

      lori.berry@... wrote:

> [...]
      > to Ms. Johnston about how much money they are all making and how many
      > raises and allowances Ms. Johnston gets we have to see the same happy
      > faces grinning and bearing it for the cameras and the same lack of any
      > concrete action.
      >
      > Many people spoke about cutting the fat from Bissel rather than touch
      > the teachers and classes and counselors. How is it that there are so
      > many employees downtown, yet they need to keep hiring more
      > administrators and consultants? Are the people at Bissel doing such a
      > great job that, as evidenced last night, they're efficient enough to
      > get the proper information to the school board in a timely manner so
      > that they can vote on what's on their agenda? Apparently on one item
      > the information the Board needed to vote on last night had only
      > arrived that evening and thankfully they agreed to table that item to
      > another Board Meeting date. Wow, that's efficiency!
      >
      > It was wonderful to hear the eloquent pleas of people to at least keep
      > El Cerrito's classes and teachers until January when their semester
      > ends (and they can get 5 credits for their classes), and how they have
      > no computer access or ability to check out library books--and have
      > been enduring this for the last several weeks. At the same time
      > downtown has had their internet access and computers restored shortly
      > after the outage. Here we have seniors in high school (and especially
      > those who cannot afford computers and internet access) who cannot send
      > off their college applications and transcripts because of these
      > outages; and seniors who need college credit for courses that are
      > going to be reinstated only until November (and then what are they
      > going to do with their needs of college-credit classes when they
      > cannot get it before graduating)? The message they are given is that
      > the Board and Administration feels it's more important to have the
      > money and computer access for themselves than for the students they
      > serve!
      >
      > Regarding the need to cut teachers in the first place and the issue of
      > underenrollment, many people spoke to this asking why this was caused
      > and who was responsible for setting these figures. Personally, I
      > think it's true that many of our schools have more students enrolled
      > this year than last year. Is it the same people estimating enrollment
      > that underestimated enrollment last year at Pinole High? Did these
      > people bother to listen to what the personnel in the schools told them
      > about estimated enrollment? Of course, Dr. Johnston said she was
      > going to be getting more information from other sources about why we
      > are losing students (I wonder if any more consultants are going to be
      > consulted about this)...but how can enrollment be more than last year
      > in some schools, yet the schools be underenrolled? How can these same
      > schools who are overenrolled compaired to last year have teachers and

      <spricco@...> To: "Barbara Van Zile"
      <barbara@...>, "Paul"
      10/01/2003 10:12 PM <PFreese@...>, <4bigsue@...>,
      "Brenda Souza Hudson"
      <bsouzahudson@...>, "Kevin F
      Rivard" <kfrivard@...>, "Tammy
      Campbell" <Tammera.Campbell@...>,
      <davidds9@...>,
      <ksartini@...>,
      <dcsartini@...>,
      <theatermom@...>,
      <sarahcreeley@...>,
      <lori.berry@...>, <cbt@...>,
      <yankee13@...>,
      <Diamel@...>, <LDKCEL@...>,
      <cknpthom5@...>, <CurryClan@...>,
      <JBlades352@...>,
      <JJacksonFamily4@...>,
      <Donelle.Oda@...>,
      <Dandelaine@...>, <Deb00000@...>,
      <davidwhitnack@...>,
      <mc4arland@...>,
      <rattlermom@...>,
      <A.Elischer@...>,
      <chisel@...>,
      <fsichel@...>,
      <robert@...>,
      <rayinrichmond@...>,
      <sandi_potter@...>,
      <spricco@...>,
      <MSWilliamson@...>, <rcs101@...>,
      <kshire@...>,
      <maureen.toms@...>,
      <kcgalloway@...>,
      <elizaeldridge@...>,
      <ccgs.land@...>,
      <Patfsmom@...>,
      <weliketobe@...>,
      <maryhorton@...>,
      <mlalegria@...>,
      <davidccole1@...>
      cc:
      Subject: Re: Pinole Middle
      a Modernization Project Rather Than a
      Rebuild

    • Aukena@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2003
        Charley,
        If thissubject line is "a string", I did not receive the initial emails. Do
        you suppose something's wrong?
        Amy

      • morganlove2003
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2003
          Well that's interesting. Sounds like they're fudging when it comes
          to actual student head count in favor of demanding even less teachers
          (although they're still getting paid by the state for those 75 more
          students). And it sounds like your school is not overenrolled, but
          is enrolled at Mr. Rhea's projected enrollment.

          So what I get out of this is when it's convenient for Bissel to
          use "underenrollment" to justify getting rid of programs and teachers
          they will do so (regardless of what the actual head count is--even if
          there are more students). But when they want to use the head count
          issue to stick to formalities (as in the Barbara Alexander Academy
          charter school, when the Board was complaining about how their
          enrollment was only in the 60+% range [because of absenteeism], they
          bring up actual head count numbers and stick to the letter of the
          State mandate to shut that school down...

          Again, they massage numbers and facts to suit their own agenda!
          --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Marsha Williamson

          *****

          > > > **************************
          > > make it
          > > principal at
          > > > the
          > > per
          > > grade
          > > > at
          > > Don't
          > > > forget
          > > review
          > > how
          High. I
          > > will
          > > keep
          > > students who
          > > > drop
          > > private
          > > > school.
          > > we
          > > need
          > > at the
          > > school
          > > > when
          > > would
          > > be,
          > > > is
          > > Hercules
          > > their
          > > > 6th
          > > room
          > > on
          > > But
          > > this
          Pinole
          > > and
          > > doing
          > > > for
          > > population
          > > businesses
          > > school.

        • morganlove2003
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2003
            And forgive the confusion...the State did not mandate that the school
            be shut down, the WCCUSD Board revoked their charter because of lack
            of enrollment in "promised" numbers.... Just threw the State in
            there because it is the State that pays the District for each child
            that attends public school.
            --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "morganlove2003"