Re: [wccusdtalk] Re: Time to Decentralize

  • playeredu@cs.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 14, 2010
      That is called site based management and Highland had such a program
      a few years ago...it takes much time on part of teachers, parents and
      administrators on the site....I think it could be used if there was
      committment....Pat</HTML>
    • Roger
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 14, 2010
        We have reached the point where it's either that, or the central office makes the decisions.
        If there is no commitment to work at the site level, we will continue operating at the whim of a central administration that cannot possibly cater to the enormous degree of diversity in 50 schools. It's only getting worse and action is needed at the local level to save the kids going to our schools today. When the world changes tomorrow, we would have skipped the current generation of kids like we did so many before.

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 14, 2010
          Good to hear from you again Jill.

          I haven't joined in the conversation because what people are saying now is what you, Scottie, Rene, Marsha, Michelle, Lynn and I were saying 20 years ago.

          The wheel on the broken bus just keeps going round and round just running over different people who put in their two cents without any success.

          You Jill, thank goodness, had the good sense to leave the district and then of course got chastised for actually getting your child an education. Lynn and I sent our kids to Vista High, this districts Independent alternative ed High School and they received an excellent education. Then Lynn and I dropped our parental guard and allowed our last child to go to Richmond High and she received a lackluster education and she is still paying for it unfortunately.

          Until parents say no more to the poor excuse for an educational system we will continue to see stories on this site from the new parents who come along.

          Parents have the power, but like the free babysitting services offered by districts like ours and will never really hold the districts accountable because then the parents would have to look in the mirror and say I allow my child to go day after day to a crappy environment and loose their one opportunity for an education.

          Think about Jill, if every day you went to work in an environment where you were threatened daily, had no soap, hot water or toilet paper in the bathrooms, heard about rapes and beatings going on as routine behavior, how long would you stay at the business. Yet, every day parents force their kids to go into that environment and tell them you have to learn to cope with it.

          Then we wonder why kids do not take their education seriously.

          I don't wonder anymore.

          Kevin

          To: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com
          From: sunsetjill@...
          Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 16:20:49 +0000
          Subject: [wccusdtalk] Report on children who flee

          Todd it is not a consultants report. The district purchased software some year's back to upgrade the existing software they used to track the kids.

          I also have a report from when I served on the K8 Committee 6 years ago. It was unable to tell the interdistrict transfers from the children that had moved out of the district. The numbers were astonishing 6 years ago in reference to the decline in enrollment. I believe the new software may give a better picture, but I don't know.

          The report was titled Accountability Information Technology Services Division Research Testing Department
          dated 9/13/05 It listed every school in the district which I can't type up but the following is a summary of the entire district from 2005 which I have taken from the report.

          Here is a summary:
          Administrative Disciplinary Transfer 409
          Alternative School Transfer 849
          Adult School Transfer 118
          Admin Transfer (Non Disciplinary) 69
          High School Proficiency 3797
          Deceased 14
          Expelled 14
          Home Teaching 69
          Next Grade Level 36
          No Show 420
          Other County 209
          Other District in State 3382
          Out of State 578
          Principal's Agreement 65
          Private School Transfer 376
          Returned to Regular School 58
          Dropped Out 689
          Graduated 425

          Grand Total 11,592
          There is a note in the Legend that reads:
          "Note Gradulate Counts are Not accurate"
          "Dropouts may dramatically increase due to CBEDS Report October 2005"

          If you want it contact the district and fill out this form. You have the right to know! You should get your answer in 10days by law.

          On a personal note I can tell I was in the transfer office on March 8th and there was probably no more then 100 requests stacked up in the office untouched. They were discussing sorting them out. I had returned on March 9th and the documents had been stacked into 2 piles.

          I have seen children move away due to the economic turn in California. My neighborhood has experienced many foreclosures. I think you will find more children have left the district due to this. Some people with children have left this Country and returned to their homelands, as they can no longer afford to live here. My son has a few friends that this has happened to.

          I would like to find you the Board packet with the cost and date that the District updated this software, but all the district documents I have acquired over the years are cluttering up my house starting with 15 years back. I personally am ready to throw in the towel and watch WCCUSD go down the drain even further because it is my opinion they DON'T CARE ABOUT OUR CHILDREN�.
          And if you don't have the right zip code WCCUSD does not want to hear from the parents or the community either�.
          Jill Wolkenfeld
          94806

          Todd wrote:
          I think the best measure of performance for this district is whether families send their kids here. Our enrollment is declining precipitously. I'm sure a consultant's report details the numbers of families who flee.

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 15, 2010
            Wouldn't that also be a chart school, apparently a "bad" idea on this talk site.

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 15, 2010
              The label wouldn't matter.
              This would be a site-based managed school with excellent community involvement and support.

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 15, 2010
                --Thanks to Jill and Kevin.

                Scottie Smith

                -------------- Original message from Kevin Rivard <kfrivard@...>: --------------